Dragon Puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MU

#41 Post by MU »

have you copied zdrv_301.sfs, too?
It includes the drivers (in Puppy, I did not try Dragonpuppy yet).

Mark

nic2109

#42 Post by nic2109 »

MU wrote:have you copied zdrv_301.sfs, too? Mark
Thanks Mark but I sure did.

In fact, I actually copied rather more than necessary by mounting the iso image, selecting all the files and copying them into a new directory. I then set the GRUB entries to use that directory and it boots up fine.

I did that "belt and braces" approach for the 2nd try (wih Dragonpuppy v2) after my first atempt (with v1) gave this error when I had only copied just the necessary files - including zdrv.

I have also tried to hack it by copying and renaming a zdrv from another Puppy 3 (Muppy008) - having first renamed the original zdrv. I have no clear idea whether that was a good idea, but it seemed worth a try. But that has exactly the same problem.

Nick

prehistoric

mail handlers

#43 Post by prehistoric »

I want to echo what Sage said about mail. Thunderbird is big and clumsy. On a slow machine you think twice about dashing off a message. Sylpheed has been remarkably fast, usable and stable. I tried Claws Mail, but decided I wasn't using the extra features, and found the interface and documentation less to my liking than Sylpheed. By using an old hack of defining the external editor as a terminal running aspell, I have been able to get spellchecking I can live with.

Code: Select all

rxvt -e aspell -e -c '%s'
(I intended to recompile Sylpheed with support for the gtkspell interface, but never got around to it. Maybe someone who wants to smooth out this wrinkle will do it. It's been done, just not for Puppy.) This gives you a tiny mail program, without wasted space for a dictionary many people never use. (If they want it, they can install the aspell and language pets.) And, did I say it was fast?

prehistoric

big_bass

xvesa wizard fix

#44 Post by big_bass »

TNTtrev wrote:Anyone figure out the Xvesa script yet? Or are we still waiting on the next release to get it to work?

If you try to use the video-wizard and it won't run again here is the fix
this is for all versions of 3.00 and 3.01 for puppylinux and all derivatives

below is a simple script to fix the xvesa video wizard

#!/bin/sh
##fix for xvesa by big bass.The xvesa video-wizard in version 3.00 and 3.01 won't let you restart the video-wizard if /etc/xextraoptions does not have this line that says -shadow without this value the script is broken and won't run.This is the patch to make it work again
looks simple but it took me a long time to solve it you only really need to copy and paste at console the
line of code below for it to work again

echo '-shadow' > /etc/xextraoptions

I updated this with a script to make it easier for those who need it

P.S looks good I'll download your iso today . I have been working on fat-free "Vintage" (my love for the older kernel 2.6.18.1) it has been done for a few weeks just running the usual tests before I upload it

preserve the vintage puppy versions

build what you want /have fun doing it

big_bass
Attachments
xvesa_patch_3.00.tar.gz
restarts xvesa
(376 Bytes) Downloaded 674 times
Last edited by big_bass on Fri 25 Jan 2008, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

prehistoric

boot time params?

#45 Post by prehistoric »

Hi D1G1T,

This is a great little pup. I just downloaded (using wget) and burned Dragon Pup "Junior" and I am posting from it now. Sometime back (a year, two?) I got a custom gentoo system built with XFCE and Gimp, Firefox, etc. and managed to keep it small. Installing systems on anyone else's computer was just too much work. (I hadn't found Puppy then.) Now, you've done more than I ever attempted and kept it even smaller. Bravo!

Naturally, there have to be some problems. When I booted this on my laptop I didn't get a pause where I could press a key to stop boot up and enter parameters, even a half second would have been enough. The second problem stems from the first, I didn't have the chance to type "pfix=ram", so it tried to use Puppy files for a 3.01 version it found from a frugal hard disk install. (This is not peculiar to your version.) What still bothers me is that it never completed boot up before I shut it down, yet still altered hard disk files. I used ctrl-alt-del because I was afraid a power off would corrupt files being accessed. It looks like I would have been better off allowing it to complete boot and then, when the disk stopped activity, turning power off.

The pause during boot is trivial. As for how best to stop a runaway boot, someone else can advise me. At the moment I am where I should have been when I started testing - on a machine with the hard drive disconnected.

Still discovering good things about the junior dragon.

prehistoric

edit: a tip for those, like myself, who spend most of their time thinking about software: if you disconnect the internal hard drive, to test an experimental system, remember to disconnect unused IDE cables from the motherboard, otherwise the unterminated cable makes a great antenna in a very noisy electrical environment. I was thinking I had a motherboard problem when I remembered this.

@TNTtrev,

You may not have to use VESA. Have you tried editing the X11 conf, (after choosing the tweak button in the xorgwizard script,) and uncommenting and setting the HW_cursor option to "false"? I'm working from memory on a different machine, so you should check the exact syntax, capitalization, etc.

Added: Just tested TinyMe-test7. This is a good effort, (even if they consider 200 MB tiny.) It is slower than Puppy, but much, much faster than PCLinuxOS, whose libraries it uses. The reason for mentioning this here is the choice of applications for a tiny distro. They use the Opera browser and Sylpheed for mail. Their version of Sylpheed is very slick and was compiled with the built-in spellchecking option I want. In general this group is good at fixing bugs, and their choices reflect those you make when you want a small memory footprint. Because they can upgrade to current PCLinuxOS applications using Synaptic they have a huge selection of applications available in repositories. In general, this is *not* binary compatible with Puppy, but, for people who can compile from source this is an excellent starting point. You just have to be careful about pulling in dependencies which bloat your system. http://www.mypclinuxos.com/doku.php/tinyme:home

accessdenied

#46 Post by accessdenied »

Does anybody know a site hosting this iso of Dragon v2 (Junior) to download? :?:
I can't understand the link page from the first post.
Thanks.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#47 Post by Béèm »

It's simple.
Go to the link referenced and go to downloads on that page.
There you can choose to display the 3 available version where you fing the one you are looking for.

I did it for you it's here
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

accessdenied

#48 Post by accessdenied »

Beem, thank you for the quick reply.

Ok... I missed a step in my request. I did arrive at the link you created however, clicking on the v2 'junior' download link get you ( http://www.hostuju.cz/?404global ) where I do not understand the language and do not know how to proceed.

Thanks again.

Dingo

#49 Post by Dingo »

accessdenied wrote:Beem, thank you for the quick reply.

Ok... I missed a step in my request. I did arrive at the link you created however, clicking on the v2 'junior' download link get you ( http://www.hostuju.cz/?404global ) where I do not understand the language and do not know how to proceed.

Thanks again.
you can download Dragon Puppy 2 from me on dokupuppy:

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... agon_puppy
Last edited by Dingo on Sun 22 Jun 2008, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#50 Post by Béèm »

Thanks again.
Indeed a dreadful language. :wink:
I don't remember how I did it, but in dec 2007 I did download it and as far as I remember through this link.
Better download from dingo's site then if it is Dragon 2 Junior.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

D1G1T

#51 Post by D1G1T »

Thanks again.
I am back after long time, I havent got time for puppy because I work as webmaster and our company have a lot o work to do, but now I have some free time so I will try to fix some things, make dragonpuppy smaller and more functional. Maybe. :wink: I will give you new link to DP, I heve to find the files for development so give me some time :D

Regards ...

dealora

#52 Post by dealora »

The link doesn't run. The bytes of the program are 0.
:cry:

Dingo

#53 Post by Dingo »

dealora wrote:The link doesn't run. The bytes of the program are 0.
you can download dragon puppy from me:

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... agon_puppy
Last edited by Dingo on Fri 19 Jun 2009, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
dropbox 2GB free

dealora

#54 Post by dealora »

The link doesn't run. The bytes of the program are 0. (this link)

Dingo

#55 Post by Dingo »

Sorry, now I have fixed. it works. if you find another donwload link broken, you can kindly email me so I can restore them
dropbox 2GB free

goju

#56 Post by goju »

hello

I am a frensh user of puppy (toutou linux), and my english is not good ...

I work in a similar vertion of Dragon Puppy, named ElfiX, and i have a question :

Are you instaled thunar ? If yes, the thunar-volman plugin work ?

In my vertion, i have compiled "thunar-volman" from source, but thunar demand "thunar-VFS with the HAL suport",

HAL is instaled from a slackware package, and i have re-compil thunar with it (I believes, of it is indicate with ". / configure"), but it's don't work ...

Earwicker

Backtrack 3

#57 Post by Earwicker »

You got a nice shell and the logo, so when are you going to incorporate Backtrack?

em0c0re

#58 Post by em0c0re »

i cant open it... .ISO don't work here.... :evil:
just that question ... what program i need and how!? :?

37fleetwood

#59 Post by 37fleetwood »

I'm guessing you're having trouble burnung the ISO file as a cd image. here is a page that goes through the whole thing.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
you may have to adapt some of the info there for Puppy but the concept is the same. Windows doesn't like the idea of making Windows truly functional so they leave this type of program out. You'll find that Puppy almost always has an ISO burning program included.
Important! if you want to take advantage of Puppy's multi-session disk ability, you have to burn the CD Multi-Session in the first case.
good luck! this is a great looking Puplet!
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

em0c0re

#60 Post by em0c0re »

Ok .. i will try , thanks :)