Can't boot with USB Keyboard (Solved)

Please post any bugs you have found
bazfum

#1 Post by bazfum »

I'm trying to use Puppy Linux on one of my spare computers to try it out. I am unable to, however, because it doesn't seem to load the USB HID driver. I've noticed this problem with other livecds before. They load USB, thus disabling the BIOS usb keyboard support, but don't also load the HID driver so that Linux can use a USB keyboard. It may be that Puppy is loading the USB Boot Protocol keyboard driver, which I know my keyboard does not support. the Boot Protocol driver is really not recomended anyways, and the HID driver should be used if this is the case.

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

Take a look at this thread.

If you have a PS/2 keyboard or another Linux distro, you might be able to fix this.

If you have a PS/2 keyboard, try my fix that is suggested on the referenced thread. If the USB keyboard is then functional, add the two commands to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, as described below.

If you have another Linux distro installed, mount the Puppy drive (if it is a hard drive installation) and add to /etc/rc.d/rc.local in Puppy;

modprobe usbkbd
modprobe keybdev

Save the file, reboot and see if it works.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

kamranzaidi

usb keyboard issue with 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 ..

#3 Post by kamranzaidi »

My usb keyboard worked for the first couple times with both version but after that stoped working. I used wizard but no use.

I also have same keyboard problem with my hp laptop and one work around i found is to keep "ENTER" key pressed while booting, keyboard and even touch pad works fine after that.

I am still not sure what is causing this prob.

kamranzaidi

usb keyboard issue (SOLVED)

#4 Post by kamranzaidi »

It seems that usb keyboard prob got fixed using following sol..
If you have another Linux distro installed, mount the Puppy drive (if it is a hard drive installation) and add to /etc/rc.d/rc.local in Puppy;

Code: Select all

modprobe usbkbd
modprobe keybdev
Thanks danleff for help..

#5 Post by guest »

Is there a way to solve this without another linux distro or a PS/2 keyboard. I was given a dell "webpc" that does not have a PS/2 port (only usb for keyboard & mouse). I've tried 1.03 & 1.05. (booting of CD). Should I try 1.02?

Should I just boot w/o the keyboard installed, then plug it in later? Should I remove the pup001 file and start over?

I don't know how to modify the /etc/rc.d/rc.local without being up and running w/ a keyboard.

Thanks for any ideas.

P.S. I can run puppy on other computers. It's great! I want to give new life to the Dell WebPC that is very slow w/ Windows XP on it!

kamranzaidi

#6 Post by kamranzaidi »

were u able to use keyboard when u first started with live cd?
Unpluging/pluging did not worked for me.

Here are few things i did

1. remove pup001 from windows
2. used live cd to boot puppy, as first time my keyboard works
3. edited /etc/rc.d/rc.local file and added modprobe usbkbd
modprobe keybdev (use beaver 0.2.7, to edit file)
4. restart puppy and it worked.

Plz try n let us know..

#7 Post by guest »

After much perseverence I have the dell webpc working with 1.03. After many reboots and deletion of pup001 when it got stuck, trials of 1.02, 1.03 and 1.05 ... Some how during the first boot up puppy was having trouble with the usb devices, and I was not able to specify keyboard map and mouse info. Once Xwin came up, I ctrl-alt-backspaced out, and my keyboard map was azerty... I shutdown the computer, renamed, copied the pup001 file to another computer & opened it by mounting it (mount -t ext2 -o loop /mnt/home/pup002 /mnt2). I then made edits to rc.local as recommended:
modprobe usbkbd
modprobe keybdev
(+ added modprobe usbmouse), and made sure my /etc/keymap had us.map, my /etc/mousedevice had input/mice (that's what rc.local0 is looking for), and /etc/keyboardtype had usb.

So .. copied pup002 back after changes, renamed it to pup001, rebooted,
xwin came up but mouse frozen. I decided to unplug the mouse from the keyboard usb port and plug it directly into the back of the computer and
and here we are!

The keyboard seems to drop characters though... not sure why ...

Since I have pup001 backed up, I may give 1.05 a try!
I hope future versions of puppy can handle the usb keyboards and mouse more "turn key". This was not for the faint of heart!

Thanks to all who posted about this & thanks to all who have developed puppy!!!!

#8 Post by guest »

Continuing with the dell webpc ...

I booted 1.05 (after saving off working pup001), it upgraded my pup001, and puppy 1.05 was up and running. Shut down the system went to bed.

Woke up this morning and booted puppy .. won't boot up!

This is what was on the screen when puppy hung up:

cp: cannot stat `/root0/.etc/modprobe.conf0`: No such file or directory
Registering unionfs version $Id: ...

setting hostname puppypc
Loading "us.map" keyboard map ...
Loading /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/.386/qwerty/us.map
done

This is where it stops ...
Any ideas? I'm thinking of copying the pup001 file to another system, and editing the rc.local0 with some "diagnostic echos" to find where and why this is stoping. What is going on with the "cp: cannot stat .. modprobe.conf0" .. Is this a problem?

Thanks in advance to the online vets..