How do I use a USB Ethernet Adapter? SOLVED

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mgs

How do I use a USB Ethernet Adapter? SOLVED

#1 Post by mgs »

I'm trying to connect a mini-computer to the internet. Only USB is available.

A USB to LAN adapter is seen by USB view but as a Linux newbie I am unsure how to proceed. A search on Google found this

http://hecnar.ifrance.com/linksys.html

Which may be of help if someone more knowledgeable than I can point me in the right direction.
Last edited by mgs on Sat 22 Oct 2005, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Have you tried using the internet wizard to set up your connection.

Start/Setup/Ethernet/network wizard

mgs

#3 Post by mgs »

Yes Ian I've tried that - nothing showing up - presumably because the ethernet connection is through USB. no eth0 connection is found. This is by way of a final hurdle as I have now got Puppy 1.05 working at 1024 x 768 on this i810 graphics machine. I know the USB LAN adapter is working OK on Windows.

mgs

How do I use a USB Ethernet adapter - SOLVED

#4 Post by mgs »

By following Barry's help file in Puppy on How to install driver modules I am now able to sucessfully connect to the internet via a cheap USB ethernet adapter by using the pegasus driver.

I hope this may be of help to others with computers with no ethernet card available.

tjwood

How do I use a USB Ethernet adapter - SOLVED

#5 Post by tjwood »

Where did you get the pegasus module?
Did you have to compile it yourself?
I have a Belkin F5D5050 10/100 USB ethernet adapter that has auto booted on every machine and operating system that I have tried it on until now. If I can get the module I will have it working on Puppy, and that is a good thing.
Tom

mgs

#6 Post by mgs »

The pegasus module is available in the modules package from ibiblio. I simply extracted the pegasus driver and copied it into root. At present I have to install it manually as per Barry's instructions in the Help files with the command insmod /root/pegasus.o. Thereafter running the ethernet cable wizard shows eth0 available and Auto_DHCP connects without problem.

Despite extensive reading on forum and elsewhere I still have not figured out how to automate this process. I you manage it let me know how !

BlackAdder

#7 Post by BlackAdder »

You could try adding the insmod command to rc.local in the /etc/rc.d directory.

mgs

#8 Post by mgs »

Thanks Blackadder, adding the insmod command to rc.local does indeed load the module at start up.