Attempting hd install, get 'Not valid partition name'

Booting, installing, newbie
shavedpuppy

Attempting hd install, get 'Not valid partition name'

#1 Post by shavedpuppy »

hi guys im trying to install puppy to an existing ext2 partition that i want it to take over, now i use option 3 at boot and make it ignore the HD so its totaly running in ramdisk, i get into puppy and run the install to HD script, it detects my

/dev/hda1 <-- main partition
/dev/hda2/ <-- slice
/dev/hda3/ <-- Swap

Now it asks me to enter the partition name without the "brackets" so i enter

/dev/hda1 and asks if im sure, i hit enter

it then tells me that /dev/hda1 is not a valid partition name, im ried alot of varitions /dev/hda1/ and dev/hda1 or dev/hda1/ ect ect

but it still wont take it ;-/

Anyone got any ideas as i realy want to use puppy as my main OS as ive purged windows for good

Regards, Shaved-Puppy

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Run MUT from the Start/File managers section and see what it reports /dev/hda1 as. If it does not show as an ext2 or ext3 or vfat partition or if it shows as being mounted you will have change it or unmount it.

If it is mounted the most probable reason is that it has created a pup001 file on that partition which you will have to delete or if it is not one of the above filesystems you can format it as a ext2 filesystem by opening rxvt from the desktop and typing in fdisk /dev/hda and when it opens type in p which will show you the type of partition it is.

If it is not a Linux native type in t and then 83, this will change the type, then type w and q to write and quit fdisk.

Now type in mke2fs /dev/hda1 to format it and then try the install again.

Bruce B

Re: Attempting hd install, get 'Not valid partition name'

#3 Post by Bruce B »

shavedpuppy wrote:it then tells me that /dev/hda1 is not a valid partition name, im ried alot of varitions /dev/hda1/ and dev/hda1 or dev/hda1/ ect ect
Above point you enter the partition information is a list of partitions you can use, is /dev/hda1 on that list?

shavedpuppy

#4 Post by shavedpuppy »

Yes it is

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

shavedpuppy wrote:Yes it is
then I really don't know what to say. if it were me, i suppose i'd look in /dev to see if hda1 exists, i dunno what's going on.

danleff

#6 Post by danleff »

Try typing in RXVT fdisk -l - that's the small letter l, not the number 1. Post what that says so we can take a look at it.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith