Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 05:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How do I change the color theme in Puppy 1.05?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
rarsa

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2005, 20:25    Post_subject:  

Actually I've use the color picker to get the exact color I want when creating a theme.

As for the available fonts. It took me some minutes to figure it out:

The fonts directori is in "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/font.dir"

You can play with the available fonts using the "Xfontsel font viewer" utility: Under the " Start | Utilities | Xfontsel font viewer" menu entry. There you can choose the different characteristics you are looking for in a font and it chooses one of the possible fonts that match that description. You can narrow the characteristics until you get only one font.

By the way: In my monitor the antialiased fonts look horrible. I set all my fonts to antialiased="false" in my themes.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2005, 20:37    Post_subject:  

Not liking JWM "themes" at all. XP bright blue and yellow is just as bad as orange and peach. Hurts my eyes and is distracting.

Yes, that XP thing is hard on the eyes!

The GTK theme files are in /etc/gtk
The JWM theme files are in /root/.jwm/themes
Some background images are in /usr/share/images

So, if anyone comes up with improvements for any of those
files, send them to me.

For example /etc/gtk/gtkrc.black is not very good, and I think
needs to be replaced with something else.
mouldy

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2005, 21:07    Post_subject:  

Thanks Guest2, didnt even know Puppy had something like grabc. Also anybody interested here is a list of colors with hex equivalent:

http://www.breakingpar.com/bkp/home.nsf/0/A20C3C93DD85C44B87256AFB00147FAB

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/reference/color_codes/

I must have been in bad mood today. This is a challenge. I sure can come up with something more pleasing on my own than whats available. Could even duplicate the old fvwm95 color scheme. Personally I like light pastel colors such as the light blue and white on fvwm95. Its quite easy to ignore and doesnt distract from webpage. Dark and bright colors are a distraction. Clashing colors are just designed to give me a headache. You can tell I am not a fan of M$ XP color scheme. Though I do like that one wallpaper of theirs with the stucco house and the blue window frame and red ladder is it? Not enough to borrow it to use in Puppy but its ok.

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2005, 15:09    Post_subject: De-Orangification Plea  

Hello to all,

I'm a relatively new Puppy User for several months now (I just love it), but I was appalled at the Orange/Peach Paint all over the Desktop in 1.05.

I just wanted to respectfully register my strong desire to see this color scheme come to an end with this release - and to have 1.06 come out with the default color scheme back to normal. (I really like JWM - it seems even faster than FVWM95 - but I just cannot tolerate this all this orange-and-peach that seems so embedded that it takes several separate setting changes to get rid of it - I still can't get it all off of certain parts)

Please, I am hoping Barry, or whoever is in charge of this will either go back to the previous (1.04) default colors, or create some other new basic scheme that is not quite so nerve-jangling and distracting as this orange disaster. Orange-and-peach are makes the desktop feel like Halloween decorations, or children's birthday party napkins; for those of us who are very sensitive to color, it is intolerable.

Please, please, whoever is in charge of this, please consider re-theming JWM conservatively for the mass majority of users, and let the Orange-Peach minority be the ones who have to go to lengths to make their desktop that way, instead of the average user. ...or at least move the orange to an option rather than the default.

I was just reading the news about the new Puppy "Service Pak;" Would it be possible to have a "De-Orangification Pak" that would ease all the setting changes involved in getting rid of this scheme? (especially for the newer, less experienced Puppy faithful such as myself) ... just a thought.

Anyway, thanks so much for tolerating this little rant (I was so looking forward to 1.05, and the colors were just so off-putting that I cannot even bear to look at it)

Anyway, I do love Puppy, thanks to all who are responsible for this gem, and who continue to works so hard at making it even better all the time.

Best Regards to all,
kcin
rarsa

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2005, 17:23    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Would it be possible to have a "De-Orangification Pak'
Here you can find some 'deorangification packs': http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2406&highlight=
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2005, 17:29    Post_subject:  

unorange.pup
paullecorde

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2005, 21:07    Post_subject:  

If you haven't resolved the peach issue yet, try this. It worked for me.
Right click on the desktop. Choose control panel/GTK theme. Within that window you can choose color settings. The one that seems to work the best (for me at least) is the default color theme, which is a gray color...... The other colors (forest green, etc.) worked on all windows except ROX, which stayed peach. Once you have chosen your color click OK. Then go to start and restart your window mgr.
rarsa

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2005, 21:31    Post_subject:  

Quote:
he other colors (forest green, etc.) worked on all windows except ROX
When you change the GTK theme, the new theme is only applied to newly opened applications, not to applications that are already running. (which tells me that they grab the theme colors at initialization time.

ROX is launched at X startup (to manage the pinboard). So to restart ROX you need to reset X and ROX will use the new Theme.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum