How to set up screensavers copied from another distro?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Glitchman

How to set up screensavers copied from another distro?

#1 Post by Glitchman »

I recently copied some screensavers off of RedHat and decided to see if they would run under Puppy. Well, after setting their permissions to execute, I can launch them from rox, but they only open in a generic "X" window. This is the same behavior as when I attempted to launch them individually from inside RedHat (as opposed to using its built-in screen saver app, which gives me configurable options per screen saver.)

Anyway, where do I need to place these screensavers in Puppy? Is there a GUI or command line setting to get Puppy to see my screensavers instead of the dull default gray X screensaver? Is there something I need to edit in .fvwm95? If it matters, I'm using the live CD version 1.03 (due to too many quirks with recent versions.) Thanks in advance.

Glitchman

Quick addendum

#2 Post by Glitchman »

BTW, one of the screensavers continuously spits out the following:
/usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/fortune: No such file or directory
Puppy does not appear to have an xscreensaver subdirectory. Creating that directory and copying screensavers there does not get me much further. Surely there must be a way to configure screensavers in Puppy. Perhaps if I could find the location of the default screensaver and replace it with one of mine...

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

xscreensaver is an application.

If you want to use it, you will need to compile and install it.

Or ask someone to help you with that.

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Just had a quick look.

I have the Xorg-Xserver installed, and tried to run xscreensaver from my Mandrake:

# ./xscreensaver
./xscreensaver: error while loading shared libraries: libpam.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# ./xscreensaver
./xscreensaver: error while loading shared libraries: libkrb4.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# ./xscreensaver
./xscreensaver: error while loading shared libraries: libdes425.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# ./xscreensaver
./xscreensaver: error while loading shared libraries: libkrb5.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# ./xscreensaver
./xscreensaver: error while loading shared libraries: libk5crypto.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This is too bloated, I stop it now.
It would make more sense to do this maybe:

Pseudocode:

Code: Select all

include "xlib.h"
int main(){

int counter = 0;

while(1){ // endless loop)

usleep(1000); //(sleep 1 second)

int i1=Xgetevent(key);
   int i2=getevent(mouse);

counter += 1000;
   if (i1){ counter=0;}
   if (i2){ counter=0;}

if (counter == 100000000){

execvp("/usr/bin/screensaver.sh");
     counter=0;
   }
}
}

main();

So it would be a small C-program, that counts seconds until 10 minutes are reached, and executes a script then. The script could run whatever you want, a slideshow or my SDLBasic-PseudoScreensaver http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2493

If I have Time, I might try to write it this weekend in C.

Mark