Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 16:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Which USB drive is best for Puppy installs?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
moXXXXXX

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct 2005, 04:32    Post_subject:  Which USB drive is best for Puppy installs?  

Hi,
I am currently in Japan and want to set up a USB drive with Puppy Chubby on it.
It's pretty hard to get info in Japan, that I can understand, on the drives and whether or not they will handle Linux (Puppy) and be bootable etc.
What I am considering doing is just buying a Buffalo Clip Drive and trying it out. They are not cheap though.
Do you think this will work? Could I assume that 99.9% percent of drives would work and there this popular brand and style should too?
I am also wanting the drive to work on USB1.1 and USB2.0 - so you think I can assume this too (with my .1% chance of error!!!)?
woof woof,
aximum

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct 2005, 05:03    Post_subject:  

Can't help you with his product, but I can tell you [url=http://www.canyon-tech.com/products/show.cfm/Peripherals/Storage/Flash_Memory_Storage/CN-USB20BFD1024R_(Rubber_1GB)]which one i use[/url], and works ok:
moXXXXXX

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct 2005, 05:33    Post_subject:  

thanks for that.
Smile

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct 2005, 14:55    Post_subject:  

By the way, folks, I installed Puppy on a usb dongle using a 1 gig CF card, and it booted a couple of times all right, although it was hanging while finding the hard disk... then continued, but with errors, said "hard disk is not ready" or something.

I could use Puppy, but it didn't recognize the hard disk at all.

Then, after 4-5 successful boots, my BIOS changed itself (strange!!), and now I cannot boot my HP Omnibook 6100 from the USB port AT ALL. Simply the option (which was there before) is GONE. I can't configure the BIOS to boot from the USB port, because that option is simply MISSING.

If anyone would have an idea, why it's so... I am about to flash the BIOS, but that's a risky and time-consuming operation, not to mention I simply don't have a floppy drive, and this operation would require a floppy drive.. so I am desperate.

Don't know what made my BIOS eliminate the boot-from-USB option, but I don't seem to be able to get it back and I am pretty frustrated at the moment...

Thanks for any idea,

Zsolt
Rich

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct 2005, 17:16    Post_subject:  

I've got a Kingston data traveller USB stick that works fine. I think there's a page in the wiki about which usb hardware is known to work
Ian
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct 2005, 20:16    Post_subject:  

Kingston Data Traveler & Seitec both 128M.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum