looking for help with a custom live cd

Booting, installing, newbie
Neil S

#1 Post by Neil S »

Hi
we are a college looking for a way to easily convert some of our desktops to basic exam machines temporarily via a live cd of some sort.
we need just a basic word processor function (NO SPELLCHECK!), network driver support and network printing support.
If anyone can point me in the right direction i'd be eternally grateful.

regards all.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: looking for help with a custom live cd

#2 Post by Lobster »

I need all the eternal gratitude I can muster . . .
At the moment printer support is not working (a temp thing) It works with version 1.0.1 and will work with version 1.0.3 - so if you can hang on for a few weeks (use 1.0.1) for now . . .

Puppy is very reliable (the printing thing was for a major upgrade and is being sorted as we speak)

Network driver support is there network printing - do not know - anyone? We will do all we can to help and support you. Tell us the details of the machines and when they have to be in service.

The Helping Paw, the A team and anyone else I can drum up are now at your service. You lucky Educator.

Give us details. . . :)
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 26 May 2005, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Neil s

#3 Post by Neil s »

thanks a lot for the quick and positive reply.
the machines we might use for this purpose are of various hardware types and so the more generic the network driver support is the better. Most use intel adaptors although not all. Most of our printers are HP laser printers. We're also looking into BartPE to see if this might be suitable as well.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

The quickest way to get where you want to go is to download Puppy and try to use it for what you want so we can see what needs to be worked on.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: looking for help with a custom live cd

#5 Post by Lobster »

I used to be an educator, so I am well aware of the long term financial advantages of not having to pay for software (no more clues on that one :)

HP Lasers are well supported and as I say we have moved to an updated kernel to offer more hardware support. How much memory is in the computers?
If 128 meg or more than Puppy is the solution for you.

We have two WP - Abiword and in Puplet (a version of Puppy that uses Opera) we have textmaker. Personally I favour textmaker which is available in Puppy as an easy pupget download. It looks very much like the familiar "Word "

Have you downloaded and burnt a Puppy ISO?
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/AbsoluteBeginners

You should also be aware that at least two of our Pups are working on special Puppys with Open Office - this might be another future possibility - BUT it is not available now.

I would suggest 1.0.1 of Puppy right now. Right off the ISO can be tested on your machines. It will work and work well.

Once the machines are set up an icon activated shell script (a sort of macro or batch file) can load up the WP - perhaps with text for the exam and away your students go . . .

As I say we will offer all the help and support we can :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Neil s

#6 Post by Neil s »

Thanks guys for taking the time to help.
gonna try out puppy 1.01 later today. Do you think it will be possible to disable spellcheck facilities on Abiword or textmaker?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Already done

#7 Post by Lobster »

You will find that the Puppy 1.0.1 that you download will come with no spellchecker for Abiword and if you download textmaker with pupget it will be without a spellchecker.

Good luck 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)