Loading Chubby 1.0.5 with boot2pup/wakepup - Ramdisk size

Booting, installing, newbie
berk0081

Loading Chubby 1.0.5 with boot2pup/wakepup - Ramdisk size

#1 Post by berk0081 »

Hi All,

I'm trying to get running with Chubby Puppy 1.0.5 by either floppy booting or loading tiny.exe to HD and booting from LILO, as I've been able to do in the past.

However, image.gz in Chubby 1.0.5 seems to exceed the ramdisk size set up by tiny.exe. I get:

Code: Select all

RAMDISK: ext2 filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: image too big! (13312/12288 blocks)
then it hangs with a kernel panic (obviously). So, my question is, has anyone been successful booting Chubby 1.0.5 from floppy? Any tips? Is there an argument I can pass to tiny.exe to change the init ramdisk size?

I'd appreciate any help. By the way, I can boot the standard Puppy 1.0.5-mozilla without issue.

Thanks,
-m

---------------------------
Advocate FOSS calmly.

berk0081

Chubby boot2pup ramdisk size - Partially solved

#2 Post by berk0081 »

Hi again,

So I seem to have solved the booting problem just by appending

Code: Select all

ramdisk_size=65536
to the boot2pup autoexec.bat, but I would still like some advice on the correct ramdisk_size to use. I have read the information on http://www.goosee.com/puppy/flash-puppy.htm and on http://www.goosee.com/puppy/development ... works.html, but I'm still a little unclear.

If I specify the minimum possible ramdisk_size that works for my boot, will Puppy grab the remaining RAM to copy usr_cram.fs? If instead I specify a large, or maximum sized ramdisk_size, will this mean that I am able to run all applications from ramdisk, or will I be swapping every time I start an application?

What I would like is to run usr_cram.fs from ramdisk. The extra few seconds at boot time are well worth the time saved in application start.

Again, any suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks,
-m
Raising puppies since 1.04

ICPUG

#3 Post by ICPUG »

If you look at the isolinux.cfg file on the Chubby Puppy 1.05 CD-ROM you will see that the ramdisk_size is set to 13312.

I didn't look and had to be told as well when I had problems booting from the hard disk!

I see this is the size that your error message gave you as well.

I do not know what happens if you set it larger.

ICPUG

berk0081

#4 Post by berk0081 »

Hello and thanks for your reply. I will reset my ramdisk size to 13312, since I still don't know if it is detrimental to set it larger.

Best,
m
Raising puppies since 1.04