Storing files on the Puppy CD

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
WiZard

#1 Post by WiZard »

Here's what I want to do:

**have a standard Puppy bootable CD plus add a directory that contains additional files. The additional files are not part of Puppy are not loaded or stored in ram or in PUP001. I simply want to store them on the same CD and access them if I want them.

What I've been able to do:

**I created a muli-session CD with Puppy plus the added directory, but when it boots it is detected as a multi-session CD and forces the user to go through all the choices for a multi-session CD (not what I wanted).

What I need help with:

**How do I disable all the multi-session menus/choices and get the CD to simply boot like a plain Puppy CD (non-multi-session).

Thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

When you boot a multisession Puppy for the first time, if you don't choose boot option 5 I believe it operates as a standard Puppy, saving to a pup001 file in an available partition on a hard drive when you shut down.

Then, since the CD was burned as a multisession CD, you can mount it in Puppy and use one of Puppy's CD burning clients to add new sessions, putting whatever you want in them.

These new files are visible to Puppy only after it mounts the CD, not when it boots.

I've done this with Ted Dog's DeVilDog (DVD) multisession Puppy, using TkDVD to add the new sessions to the DVD. The relevant thread is here.

WiZard

#3 Post by WiZard »

Thanks for your reply Flash. What I want is to aviod the multi-session menus even on the first boot.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

The multisession option in the boot menu is hidden. You have to know to type "5" at the boot prompt.

Ted Dog

boot options

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

The main script checks for added tracks in normal CD-R and will run mult-session anywho if it detects them. I found out the hard way that DVDs do not have tracks when used in DVDog. That is why option 5 is hardwired in my iso (actually 1/10 sec. to choice something else).
Therefore, CD puppy will automatically boot mult-session if any thing else is burned separtly

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

If you're feeling ambitious, you could crawl through the boot scripts and sniff out the one that detects multisession, then just comment it out and make a custom cd.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Ted Dog

how and where to edit

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

find this line in the file etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit in the remaster area.

Code: Select all

GETDISKINFO="`disktype $ONECD 2>&1`"
put a '#' infront

Code: Select all

# GETDISKINFO="`disktype $ONECD 2>&1`"
the 5 option will still work if you wish to try mult-session enabled but It will not force you to.
I hope it will work for you. :roll:

WiZard

Stroing extra files on Puppy CD

#8 Post by WiZard »

aha, thanks Pizzasgood & Ted Dog. That looks like the answers I'm looking for, will let you know how it turns out.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

After carefully studying this thread it appears that as usual I completely misunderstood the original post. Thanks, Ted and Pizza, for saving the day. :D

WiZard

Storing fiels on the Puppy CD

#10 Post by WiZard »

YIPPEE, it worked, I have a standard Puppy 1.0.4 CD plus added subdirectory(s) burned using multi-session settings and the CD boots just like it was a plain old single session CD. Once booted, I can mount the CD using MUT and there are all my extra files. I created what will be my "Swiss Army Puppy", here's what it can do:

1. All the functions of a regular Puppy 1.0.4

Extra Files: programs, MP3, video clips
1. MP3 (several dozen) & videos let me demo Puppy Power or simply enjoy
some music without changing the CD.
2. Install Puppy to a harddrive that has only a MSDOS 3.2 or higher
DOS bootable partition.
3. Install Puppy to a harddrive that has W9x giving the user a multi-
boot system (no drive partitioning required).
4. Install Puppy to a harddrive that has W2000 or XP with a NTFS file system giving the user a multi-boot system (uses GRUB, no drive
partitioning required).
5. Install a standard PUP001 configuration file or choose a PUP001
with ICE windows manager, Abiword spellcheck, TightVNC, XWC filemanager, Midnight Commander CL filemanager, extra help
files, and simplified menus already installed.

The install functions are menu driven, so are easy to run.

Anyway, the possibilities are endless, may also add some .PUP files in
the extra directorys to give other installation options.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Exactly what program and settings did you use to burn the CD?

Pizzasgood

#12 Post by Pizzasgood »

Doh! I can't believe I didn't think of this: Another way to do it is extract the iso, add the files, then remake the iso. Then the cd would only be burned once, and you wouldn't have to change config stuff. The advantage with the other way is that you could burn it as multisession, so you can add stuff later, but still use Puppy normally. But this way, you could use it as multisession and have the extra stuff too. So now we know two ways, for two situations. :)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

WiZard

#13 Post by WiZard »

Pizza, I thought of that and tried it in Windows. Used ISOBUSTER to extract the boot image and copied all the other files from the Puppy CD. Then used Windows Nero to remake a bootable CD also adding in the new files. It burned ok but I always got a check sum error when I tried to boot the new CD. Tried it several times with same results. I've made many DOS/Windows bootable CD's with Nero, but it seeded to have a problem with LInux. Have you ever made bootabel LInux with Gcombust?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Storing files on the Puppy CD

#14 Post by Flash »

WiZard wrote:...Have you ever made bootabel LInux with Gcombust?
I think I remember making a Puppy live CD with Gcombust, from an iso I had downloaded in Windows to an NTFS partition. I couldn't get multisession Puppy to work from a CD no matter what burning program I tried. The new multisession DVD worked the first time I tried it though. (Burned with RecordNow in Windows. I haven't tried burning it with TkDVD in Puppy.)

Pizzasgood

#15 Post by Pizzasgood »

I've only burned a normal iso from Windows. I have extracted, modified, and reburned isos in linux, though. I just put everything in an empy directory, run makeisofs on it, then burn as usual. I haven't actually tried adding extra, non-puppy stuff yet (next on my list, though), but I did add a file or two to add a splash screen when I made the first Pizzapup.

Oh, and I used Gcombust successfully until 1.0.5 with the burniso2cd script came out. Now I use that. I haven't tried having the burner program make the iso though. I always just did that by hand.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Storing files on the Puppy CD

#16 Post by BarryK »

WiZard wrote:Here's what I want to do:

**have a standard Puppy bootable CD plus add a directory that contains additional files. The additional files are not part of Puppy are not loaded or stored in ram or in PUP001. I simply want to store them on the same CD and access them if I want them.

What I've been able to do:

**I created a muli-session CD with Puppy plus the added directory, but when it boots it is detected as a multi-session CD and forces the user to go through all the choices for a multi-session CD (not what I wanted).

What I need help with:

**How do I disable all the multi-session menus/choices and get the CD to simply boot like a plain Puppy CD (non-multi-session).

Thanks
I'm just looking at the original post.
It seems that that what you want was already there.
Anything that you store into /root/archive gets saved to CD, never comes
back.

For example of booting direct to multisession, no menu, see the
test ms dvd iso at http://puppy.wise-guy.us/
...should work ok on a CD also.

WiZard

Stroing extra files on Puppy CD

#17 Post by WiZard »

Barry, thanks for your reply. Have question.
I'm just looking at the original post.
It seems that that what you want was already there.
Anything that you store into /root/archive gets saved to CD, never comes
back.
Added files must go in directory /root/archive ?

"never comes back" means what?

Thanks for help

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

He means if you burn a normal Puppy Multisession, then put something in /root/archive, when it burns back to the cd, it will burn that stuff too, but when it loads back off next time, it will leave the stuff on the cd somewhere and not load it.

Perkins

#19 Post by Perkins »

Now all we need is a version that will leave everything on the CD and only load files onto ramdisk when you change them... But still have them accessible from the same places on the file system as if they had been loaded... If you had that plus an option to purge everything back to the CD without rebooting you'd be able to easily run many large applications from the CD...

Methinks this would be a major pain to implement however...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

How can you save files to a multisession CD or DVD so that they can be read by both Puppy and Windows? Since it's not yet a good idea to write to an NTFS partition from Puppy, that would be a way to share stuff like pictures and documents that you might create with, and save on, a Puppy multisession disk.