Xserver 6.8.2-addons

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
MU

Xserver 6.8.2-addons

#1 Post by MU »

I made several additional dotpups.

The /etc/X11 -Dotpup has several configuration stuff, you certainly will not need. (Puppy does not use XDM for example. Added it just to "complete" the whole).

The bin-2 -Dotpup has several Applications that come with X11, for example xev to print Keycodes.
It is extracted to a seperate folder (with menue-entry to launch rox), as I want to avoid overwriting existing files in /usr/X11R6/bin
Some of these Apps work with Puppys Kdrive-Server, too.

Some applications like "xvidtune" also need this: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/download.php?id=1026 (188 kb, missing libs)

The doc-Dotpup has the X11-Documentation.

Finally the DRI-modules are needed for Hardware-acceleration, install the one that suits your Graficscard.
Strangely, 3 Modules were not compiled on my Puppy, so I took them from Mandrake.
Maybe they were part of Xorg 6.8.0, do not remember. I could test none of the DRI-modules, as my chipset SIS 530 does not support DRI.

Download
http://noforum.de/dotpups/X11R6addons/

-----
EDITED: the font-pack (55 MB) was deleted
-----

Mark
Last edited by MU on Thu 03 Nov 2005, 17:25, edited 2 times in total.

pakt

Re: Xserver 6.8.2-addons

#2 Post by pakt »

MU wrote:I made several additional dotpups.

Attention: The "fonts"-dotpup is 35 MB, extracted: 55 MB.
Mark, have you found the extra fonts useful? I just wonder if adding this extra 55 MB is really worth it. So far, the 'original' fonts work for me, with the exception of Sylpheed - those fonts are not very nice. (But that doesn't really matter now because I started using Mozilla Mail instead and the fonts are fine there. Sylpheed also insists on setting View -> Code set to 'Auto detect', but that doesn't work for Swedish characters. Setting it to 'Western European ISO-8859-1' works, but Sylpheed doesn't save the setting :?
MU wrote:Finally the DRI-modules are needed for Hardware-acceleration, install the one that suits your Graficscard.
Strangely, 3 Modules were not compiled on my Puppy, so I took them from Mandrake.
Maybe they were part of Xorg 6.8.0, do not remember. I could test none of the DRI-modules, as my chipset SIS 530 does not support DRI.
I could try the module for i810, but my graphics are already fast enough for ordinary applications. Perhaps I would see a difference viewing a DVD full-screen in Xine? Hmm...yes, I think I will try it.

I'll let you know if I see any difference.
Thanks for making the packages available.

MU

#3 Post by MU »

I would not install the fonts (and did not do it).

I just added them in case they are needed for example for asian languages, thats to say for people who have problems with the standard-fonts and want to try out every possible thing to fix it.

Yes, try the module please, it should run or not, you should see it in the messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If it fails, you should find something like
(ee) dri ... 810

If it works, you should find something like
(--) dri ... 810

I think DRI just is needed for 3D-stuff (GL/Mesa).
There are currently no programs for puppy using that (usually 3D-CAD or 3D-Games like Doom or tuxracer).

The bin-2 dotpup has a program "glxgears" that uses DRI if available I think.
It just shows the framerate of turning 3D-gears.

Greets, Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

So far, the 'original' fonts work for me, with the exception of Sylpheed - those fonts are not very nice. (But that doesn't really matter now because I started using Mozilla Mail instead and the fonts are fine there. Sylpheed also insists on setting View -> Code set to 'Auto detect', but that doesn't work for Swedish characters. Setting it to 'Western European ISO-8859-1' works, but Sylpheed doesn't save the setting.
Sylpheed 2.01 in Pup 1.0.5 may solve your problem.

pakt

#5 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote: Sylpheed 2.01 in Pup 1.0.5 may solve your problem.
Sounds good, Barry. Looking forward to testing it :D

mforce2

xvidtune not working

#6 Post by mforce2 »

I installed x.org from here : http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
and your DRI and bin dotpups . When I launch xvidtune though I get the following error :
xvidtune: error while loading shared libraries: libXaw.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I tried to get libXaw.so.8 from somewhere online and put it where libXaw.so.7 is located ( /usr/X11R6/lib ) . Unfortunately that didn't work ( it said I have to install the program or something ) . I would apreciate it if you could send me you libXaw.so.8 and any other files that you think might be needed . Also if you have a better solution that would also be fine .
Thanks .

MU

#7 Post by MU »

Ok, here is libXaw.so.8

Tell me, if it wants more, than I'll update the dotpup.

It works on my system, but maybe I have some more libs copied over manually.

Mark
Attachments
xorg-morelibs.pup
(188.07 KiB) Downloaded 953 times

#8 Post by Guest »

Thanks for all your help . Unfortunately I've still had no luck making it work . Now it doesn't request any more libs but says this instead :
# xvidtune
Please install the program before using
I suspect it might have something to do with some files/paths but it's just a a guess :) .
If you've got any idea as to what might be wrong ....

MU

#9 Post by MU »

yes, had this too. You must install the /etc -Addon.

Mark

mforce2

#10 Post by mforce2 »

OK . xvidtune works now . Thanks for the help . Everything is OK . Just needed to install those 2 extra packages the one for the libraries and the etc one . Also installed the dri package for Matrox and it seems to work . This is actually some nice work you've done . Everything runs better now with Xorg and DRI , less CPU usage .

MU

#11 Post by MU »

Great 8)