Minimal system requirements

Using applications, configuring, problems
Bob

#1 Post by Bob »

If I installed vmlinuz and image to my hard drive, would it be possible to run Puppy in a NCR3230 with 7 MB RAM and 170 MB hard drive with only a floppy drive (no CD or USB) and no Internet connection.

PaulR

#2 Post by PaulR »

I think the RAM will be the only problem - I guess apps like Firefox will require rather more than that!

Someone who knows for sure will doubtless tell you, but you could just try it in the meantime if your hd contains nothing valuable. Or you could look at other minimalist (non GUI) distros that will certainly run in that spec.

Have fun!

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't think copying them to the harddrive will lessen the ram requirements at all. I know vmlinuz will have to be loaded anyways, because that's the kernal. If you did an option #2 install it will install to a partition and shouldn't need to load the rest into RAM, but that's the word of an ignorant pizza who knows nothing about how operating systems work. Even if I'm right, I don't know how much ram the stuff that does need to be loaded takes.
The lack of CD, USB, and internet doesn't make a difference. A boot floppy is how I normally boot from the HD. I don't use the floppy drive for anything else, so I just leave the disk hanging there and shove it in when I want Puppy. :)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Ian »

If you create a swap partition on your hard drive you might get it to work.
As PaulR pointed out lack of ram is the main problem because Puppy loads more than the kernel into memory.
The least amount of RAM I have used is 32M.
Last edited by Ian on Wed 04 May 2005, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

Puppy v0.9.0 added an extra option to the install-to-hard-drive script. "Option 2" is to install Puppy such that no ramdisk is used. This requires that Puppy take over an entire partition. It is up to you to have such a spare partition. The script will convert it into an ext2 filesystem, if it wasn't before.
Option 2 is good for developers, as the /usr folder is not compressed and is read/write.
Doesn't that mean it just needs to load some of the stuff?
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Ian »

Yes, I was thinking of a live CD, but you still need more than 7M of RAM and I'm not sure how much HD space is required.

Rich

#7 Post by Rich »

Is RAM really an issue though?? it's dirt cheap !

#8 Post by Guest »

I don't think it would work with only 7M. If you created a swap partition it would help, but there's not much h.d. either.
No, it wouldn't work... apart from the kernel, if you try to run any GUI app, as well as X, so much stuff has to load into RAM... maybe 16M, I think someone did get 16M to work okay.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Ian »

It depends on what sort of Ram it is.
By the look of it, 7M could be 8M onboard sharing 1M for video. If this is the case you will not fit any more.

It could be FPM or EDO, if so it might be hard to find in the sizes required.

wscarl

You need more power try a used cheap PC to run puppy

#10 Post by wscarl »

You need more power try a used cheap PC to run puppy here one of many user pc dealers:
http://www.retrobox.com/rbwww/home/