How do you Puppy?

Promote Puppy !
connie

testing

#21 Post by connie »

I'm testing Puppy from a liveCD on my main machine. So far it looks like Mandrake, and perhaps even Windows, will be homeless soon.

dewdrop

How do you Puppy

#22 Post by dewdrop »

Hi,

I just ran across this thread and thought I would add my 2 centavos about how I Puppy.

I have a Mini-Cd in the drive and it has Chubby Puppy 1.0.4 on it. The pup001 file sits on the C: drive.

I can be accused of "bloating" I suppose since I have Opera 8.5 (just downloaded yesterday), and also RealPlayer - I like the music stations on the pupget radio, and just transferred the web addresses to RealPlayer. I also like to have access to the C-SPAN stations - which the pupget radio can't do.

I have web access to email, web surfing, and banking - in 2 countries/2 currencies - which Grisbi handles very nicely, thank you very much.

I can now print with Puppy.....thanks to the effort of Rarsa...which gives me one more reason to remain in Puppy and not have to switch back to MS-XP.

GAIM keeps me aware of incoming emails and when friends are online. I'm realizing that ROX is a great file manager, and slowly....ever so slowly, I'm using xterm.

The Open Office programs are more than sufficient for my needs.

I guess I've rambled on enough for you all to get the idea that I use Puppy a lot....every day.

2 areas still not covered by Puppy - or really any other Linux Distro are Music .... as in composing/arranging (Rose Garden doesn't "cut" it), and scanning a document....I know I have a scanner that's not mainline - at least no distro that I've tried so far has allowed me to use it. But these are not gripes...just observations.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some "old" computers somehow and seeing what Puppy can do with them. I think it will be fun and interesting.

later,

Dewdrop

Alucard_the_dex

#23 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

how do i puppy>? well i been puppying for a few days now and enjoying it very much i mainly use my computer for music internet and Images and so far ive loved puppy i cant wait to get under the hood with it it runs so nice on my old PII 400mhz and im starting to learn alot more already about it I think its jsut the answer and i hope to get use to it alot more in the future AND dieing to find a Old laptop to run it on I hope to get one this weekend

seldomseen

#24 Post by seldomseen »

Now armed with Chubby (a friend with high-speed burnt me a copy) I'm REALLY good to go. Using it quite a bit for everything (though Vector SOHO is my numero uno system). I keep a Puppy CD with me so's I can boot up with any borrowed 'puter. Still don't have the multi-session CD figured out, so (for now) my traveling OS would be a Puppy CD and thumb drive. Now searching for an old laptop; that with Puppy would make a great setup for traveling.

SA_Ron

Untrained Puppy

#25 Post by SA_Ron »

The "Untrained" part is me, not the OS. :D

Anyway, I'm a Solaris admin at work and at home I like to test Linux distros. I don't run them into the ground, I just check to see how easy it is to get a distro from CD and onto my hard drive and configure it.

I don't know how I wound up with this stray puppy, but it looks like it's going to stay. I don't remember where I even heard about it. I downloaded it from linuxquestions.org (where it's buried in the "Other" category).
I had just finished trying Damn Small Linux, which I thought was great...until I found Puppy. DSL was pretty easy to install, but Puppy was ridiculously easy. DSL is history on this machine.

Other distros I have (SuSE, which is my fav at the moment, and Debian which I'm just trying out) use most of my 256M RAM. Puppy uses about a third of it! This will come in handy when I get down to actually learning how to configure it to my liking.

The only things I don't like so far are that I have to configure my ethernet connection each time use the CD. Also, I hate to hurt anyone's feelings here, but the dog at the splash screen has got to go. Couldn't we find a cuter dog???? The only other bad thing is the initial desktop coloring. It's hideous. Okay, okay, just my opinion, but it almost made me pull out the CD and forget about it when I initially loaded it. :D

No, there aren't 17000 pieces of software, but frankly, who needs all of that? I haven't explored all that's available yet, but so far I'm not disappointed. All I really want is mplayer, a decent browser and some games. That's most of what I ask for from other distros. I don't think I'm going to be disappointed with Puppy.

I got hooked just on the installation and the fact that it uses so little RAM. I wonder how I'll feel when I try to make it look and act the way I want? I just hope this puppy isn't too hard to train.
I have partitions and I'm not afraid to use them!
So many Linux distros, so little time.

Alucard_the_dex

#26 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

>< Just to let you know Im pretty sure that puppy is the actualy puppy the mascot for the OS and thats most likely in loving memory of him >< and my opinion hes ubber cute ^^
~Puppy Linux~ Where mans best friend becomes PCs best friend

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Untrained Puppy

#27 Post by Lobster »

The "Untrained" part is me, not the OS. :D
Herding cats may be impossible but puppys can learn . . .
;)
Anyway, I'm a Solaris admin at work and at home I like to test Linux distros. I don't run them into the ground, I just check to see how easy it is to get a distro from CD and onto my hard drive and configure it.

About the time I got involved in using Puppy I thought do I upgrade to 512 meg ram (just a swap from another machine) to use Solaris or do I use something that my machine will very comfortably run. I am happy with the choice I made. For a desktop user is there anything in Solaris that might tempt me?
I had just finished trying Damn Small Linux, which I thought was great...until I found Puppy. DSL was pretty easy to install, but Puppy was ridiculously easy. DSL is history on this machine.
Some people find the hardware recognition on DSL allows them to use their system. Others prefer DSL for unknown reasons. We say woof to DSL.
Other distros I have (SuSE, which is my fav at the moment, and Debian which I'm just trying out) use most of my 256M RAM. Puppy uses about a third of it! This will come in handy when I get down to actually learning how to configure it to my liking.
I am tempted to try SUSE - only ever looked at it from a Live CD version. Have just ordered the new Ubuntu. The thing is I am spoilt by Puppy - why are these other distros so slow. Wait . . . I know the answer . . .

The only things I don't like so far are that I have to configure my ethernet connection each time use the CD.
?
Not sure why - this should be saved in the dotpup001 that Puppy creates on your hard dsk . . .
Also, I hate to hurt anyone's feelings here, but the dog at the splash screen has got to go. Couldn't we find a cuter dog????
tsk tsk
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/amy/index.html
cuter yes . . . better mascot? No . . .
http://www.zen45800.zen.co.uk/puppy3/
The only other bad thing is the initial desktop coloring. It's hideous. Okay, okay, just my opinion, but it almost made me pull out the CD and forget about it when I initially loaded it. :D
quite a few ways to change that and it will be different for 1.0.6 - sorry about the culture shock . . .
Welcome to the kennels

here is Puppy trained to my liking
http://tinyurl.com/7hxf7 :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#28 Post by GuestToo »

i think DSL was originally intended as an emergency boot cd

i think Puppy was originally intended from the beginning to be a fast, light, easy-to-use OS with everything you need, and intended to be used every day as your primary OS

i think this is the most noticeable difference between DSL and Puppy

jcagle

#29 Post by jcagle »

I've definitely been using Puppy every day since I've downloaded it.

Re: Untrained Puppy

#30 Post by Guest »

About the time I got involved in using Puppy I thought do I upgrade to 512 meg ram (just a swap from another machine) to use Solaris or do I use something that my machine will very comfortably run. I am happy with the choice I made. For a desktop user is there anything in Solaris that might tempt me?
No, Solaris is really a server OS for high end systems. You can get a version for a PC, but I don't know why anyone would use it. Desktop isn't what it's really meant for.
Some people find the hardware recognition on DSL allows them to use their system. Others prefer DSL for unknown reasons. We say woof to DSL.
How about 'Puppy raises hind leg' instead? :D
I am tempted to try SUSE - only ever looked at it from a Live CD version. Have just ordered the new Ubuntu. The thing is I am spoilt by Puppy - why are these other distros so slow. Wait . . . I know the answer . . .
Speed isn't everything and SUSE is the best OS I've seen for a user who is just coming out of a Windoz environment. The feel of it is windoz-like enough that you can learn the GUI tools (YAST) rather easily. It's the best intro to Linux I've seen for those not of the geek persuasion. And it's easy to get lots of software for it.
Puppy is better for those of us who've had some Linux already, I think. I've already been telling some Linux friends that they HAVE to check this out. I think maybe the best thing about Puppy (and there's lots of great things) is that you don't have to mess with partitioning to try it.

Also, I hate to hurt anyone's feelings here, but the dog at the splash screen has got to go. Couldn't we find a cuter dog????
tsk tsk
Sorry, but SOMEbody had to say it. :D
The only other bad thing is the initial desktop coloring. It's hideous. Okay, okay, just my opinion, but it almost made me pull out the CD and forget about it when I initially loaded it. :D

#31 Post by Guest »

GuestToo wrote:i think DSL was originally intended as an emergency boot cd

i think Puppy was originally intended from the beginning to be a fast, light, easy-to-use OS with everything you need, and intended to be used every day as your primary OS

i think this is the most noticeable difference between DSL and Puppy
I think Puppy is about a gazillion times better as an emergency boot cd. As a matter of fact, I've already used it for that purpose. And I agree with you about Puppy being meant to be a primary OS.

Raman

In a large, developing country where cows are sacred

#32 Post by Raman »

Where -- or how -- do I Puppy? Well, I Puppy (a verb) in a large developing country where cows are sacred. On a miserable, unreliable, noisy, static-laden, dirty-switched dialup connection stretching way, way back into the remotest of all outbacks. I'm talking about boondocks backwoods hicksville here. Which is one more reason why I particularly like my RELIABLE Puppy Linux operating system: My miserable telephone line is always the problem, and not my cute little RELIABLE Puppy.

Someday where my large developing country is more developed, I hope to have a more reliable telephone connection -- maybe even a wireless connection, but even then I am certain to embrace my cute little still-RELIABLE Puppy.

Hail Puppy!

Raman

GreatDane

Silent computing is a bliss

#33 Post by GreatDane »

8 months back I got an ASUS L8400C laptop computer for my disposal as a part of an agreement with a publishing company. It is not exactly a new computer, but it actually ran Windows XP quite decently. And I was quite please with my new tool. However, it turned out that the hard disk is very noisy. I basically couldn't hear myself think. And if I can't think, I can't write. In other words: The laptop was not a helpful tool in the writing process but an obstruction.

Then along came Puppy. I soon discovered the advantage of having the entire OS load into the ramdisk. Running Puppy exclusively from ramdisk and saving my work on a USB-drive makes my computer completely silent. The only noise left is that of my fingertips's carefree dance on the keyboard.
It's has increased my productivity considerably.

On a sidenote: I don't make use of the pupxxx utility on the laptop as it brings the noise back. But that's not a problem - ChubbyPuppy (my preferred flavour - OO.o is a sine qua non to me) comes with everything I need. I put in the CD, boot and work. It's simple. It's silent. It's almost too good to be true.

On yet another sidenote: Puppy has grown on me so much that it is now also serving my everyday computing needs on my desktop. Still running from ramdisk, although with a pup-file to store settings. And why shouldn't I use Puppy? It is after all the only linux distro I have ever used (and I have been trough a lot) where I haven't had ANY problems with sound, network and the like. Puppy just works - and has no nonsense to it.

Thank you!

gaztelugatxe

Re: How do you Puppy?

#34 Post by gaztelugatxe »

Lobster wrote: How do you Puppy?
I puppy in several ways.

At home I just "play" with puppy, but I do it more and more because it starts faster than my overloaded XP. Sometimes, while having breakfast, I boot Puppy to take a quick look to Bloglines, Distrowatch...

At work, we have a computer running Puppy night and day just to offer music to people calling us while they are waiting.
And I have sometimes used Puppy as a rescue cd when a Windows computer has boot problems. I boot Puppy, upload all the important documents to an FTP server with gFtp and, feeling safer now, try to repair the damage.

shrdlu

#35 Post by shrdlu »

I am a noopup. But thanks to the great support from this forum, every computer I have has puppy installed:
* my "work" thinkpad (NTFS 1.0.5 w/ Wingrub). Also got wireless to work (thanks again) altho I haven't had the courage to try it with WEP. Have to turn it off anyway when my kids bring their Macs home...
* an ancient Dell Dimension (1.0.6). I am amazed at how fast puppy runs on it. If I didn't need to run Quickbooks, I would never boot anything else. I volunteer with an organization which supports community development projects in the Americas. I am excited about kids being able to use older computers to have a high-quality experience with computers. That $100 ultimate-puppy-computer from MIT may be another avenue.
* my sandbox. A homebuild. Wouldn't boot puppy 1.0.5 but w/ 1.0.6, tail's waggin. I think there was something funky about the usb config. My next project is trying to use the Enlightenment window manager. (You can search this forum for e17.)

I must have tried a dozen distro's - puppy is the best! More importantly, it seems like this is a real nice community. As a noopup, I am not sure how much I will be able to contribute, but I will if I can.

Best wishes!
If only I could be half as good as my dog thinks I am

Chuck the Plant

How I Puppy

#36 Post by Chuck the Plant »

I use Puppy to resurrect old hardware...

Puppy breathed life into an old PII desktop I pulled out of a friend's basement. I'd always been curious about Linux and tried several distros on it (Ubuntu, Kanotix, DSL, SLAX). I originally avoided Puppy because I found the web site frightening (Chihuahuas scare me) and seemingly disorganized. What a fool I was! The web site, after more than a cursory glance, is chock full of useful information. And Puppy exceeded my expectations tenfold. It just works.

Now I use Puppy for almost everything. Other distros come and go on my partitions (a weakness, I know) but Puppy remains the one true constant. Coming over from the evil empire, I particularly appreciate the Dotpups. I Puppy my office work, web browsing, email, web site design (through NVU Dotpup) and use it to manage the online college course I teach.

Other than the games, I don't miss Windows. At least I've got DOOM.

Long live the Puppy.

bugman

#37 Post by bugman »

When this is all finished I will be puppying experimental computer music and puppying a used book internet business. Maybe I should start basing my music on the barking of puppies (my last project was 5 hours of computer fan noise) and selling nothing but books on raising puppies...