Unable to print

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
BlueGum

Unable to print

#1 Post by BlueGum »

I'm running 3.01 and would like to print to a networked Brother MFC 7420 on my wife's XP, but I read on this forum that CUPS is broken in this distro of puppy. Linneighborhood works fine but of course I can't print from there.

Can anyone tell me how to get around this? As a beginner I'd welcome a simple explanation.

TIA

tmartin14

Same Problm here...

#2 Post by tmartin14 »

Has anyone been able to resolve this? I have the exact same situation and have not yet been able to get this to work.

- WindowsXP server with a printer (shared in Windows).
- Can mount the shared drives, but not any of the printers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ordo

#3 Post by Ordo »

I'm having the same problem... I can access my windows machines using linneigborhood, but I cannot mount the printer, nor can I get cups to print *to* the printer on my windows machine. I'm having the same problem with my puppy 2.15 and puppy 3.01.

One of the forum threads mentioned downloading the Samba 3.0.25b: smb file and print server via the package manager, but there IS no Samba-related packages *available* through package manager, at least not on mine... so I can't even experiment with that method :?

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Anita

problemprinting

#5 Post by Anita »

Hello:
I have been on this computer for 2 days trying to get my printer to work. I have a Lexmark Z730. Can someone walk me thru it in laymens terms? I am not too smart with this. I have tried everything. I even put my installation cd in to try that and it did nothing.
PLEASE HELP ME :oops:
I would appreciate any help with this.
Thank you,
Anita

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

Anita,

According to openprinting.org:

Lexmark Z730
Color inkjet printer, max. 4800x1200 dpi, this is a Paperweight
Lexmark only have drivers available for windows. You should fire off a complaint email to Lexmark, asking why they don't release a linux driver. Other than that, use it with windows, wait for some kind, clever, soul to reverse engineer the linux driver...or buy a linux friendly printer.

Anita

unable to print

#7 Post by Anita »

Muggins:
Thank you for letting me know this. That is a shame. Thank you so much for the info. I really appreciate it.

Anita :o

muggins wrote:Anita,

According to openprinting.org:

Lexmark Z730
Color inkjet printer, max. 4800x1200 dpi, this is a Paperweight
Lexmark only have drivers available for windows. You should fire off a complaint email to Lexmark, asking why they don't release a linux driver. Other than that, use it with windows, wait for some kind, clever, soul to reverse engineer the linux driver...or buy a linux friendly printer.