Dingo alpha6 feedback/bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Dingo alpha6 feedback/bugs

#1 Post by BarryK »

As announced on my blog, Puppy 4.00 "Dingo" alpha6 is uploaded. Get it from here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... go-alpha6/

Read my blog to find out changes since alpha5:

http://www.puppylinux.com/blog/

This forum thread is for feedback and bug reports.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

NathanO

#2 Post by NathanO »

Downloaded and tested 3.96 on two machines.

First is tower, home made, Second is HP Pavilion zv6000. Problems I ran into were on both machines:

1: When I tried to change the theme, the volume control background did not change. Had to move the mouse over the icons to get them to change theme even after restarting JWM.

2: When I tried to change the number of desktops, no mater what number I put in it said it was corrupt, and stayed at 2.

HP Pavilion zv6000:

1: I have run all previous versions of Dingo on this machine and been able to use USB mouse. No matter what I did it would not see the USB mouse. Found built in mouse pad no problem.

2: All previous versions of Dingo found the Wireless eth0 and regular eth1. 3.96 did not find the Wireless eth0. Tried loading module, got the following error:

These modules are missing
/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/ieee82011/softmac/ieee80211softmac.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/ieee82011/ieee80211.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/ieee82011/ieee80211_crypt.ko

Everything else seemed to work ok.

NathanO

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

NathanO wrote:Downloaded and tested 3.96 on two machines.

First is tower, home made, Second is HP Pavilion zv6000. Problems I ran into were on both machines:

1: When I tried to change the theme, the volume control background did not change. Had to move the mouse over the icons to get them to change theme even after restarting JWM.

2: When I tried to change the number of desktops, no mater what number I put in it said it was corrupt, and stayed at 2.

HP Pavilion zv6000:

1: I have run all previous versions of Dingo on this machine and been able to use USB mouse. No matter what I did it would not see the USB mouse. Found built in mouse pad no problem.

2: All previous versions of Dingo found the Wireless eth0 and regular eth1. 3.96 did not find the Wireless eth0. Tried loading module, got the following error:

These modules are missing
/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/ieee82011/softmac/ieee80211softmac.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/ieee82011/ieee80211.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/ieee82011/ieee80211_crypt.ko

Everything else seemed to work ok.

NathanO
general 1:
Yes, the volume control background requires a restart of X.
I just checked the desktop-icon changer, after making a selection a window comes up telling you that you have to restart X to see the new icons.

Pavilion 2:
I'm running alpha6 right now. I just typed:
# modprobe -vn bcm43xx
and it found bcm43xx and all it's dependencies. So they are there.

There must be some hardware problem that has prevented Puppy from finding the 'zdrv' file. It's on the CD and is normally findable. Also, when you create a pup_save file you have the recommended option of copying the pup_396.sfs and zdrv_396.sfs files off the CD to the same place as the pup_save file, which makes them easier and faster to access.

NathanO

#4 Post by NathanO »

Did a cold boot on the laptop with 3.96. Still does not see Wireless card while 3.95 and before does.

Even did Auto-probe.

I looked at the CD and the drivers are there, there must be something in the latest kernel that is not seeing the card or the USB mouse. Could not UnMount CD once mounted. Built in MATSHITAUJ-840D.

What can I look at on 3.95 to see what is different?

On 3.96 HardInfo hardware information does not show Wireless card or usb mouse.

On 3.95 it shows both Wireless and USB Mouse. And UnMount works and ejects the CD.

NathanO

duke93535

#5 Post by duke93535 »

I lost the usb mouse also on a frugul install. I then modprobed ohci-hcd at the command prompt and that got it working.

Rechecked a couple times and the same process had to be done again, so I added modprobe ohci-hcd to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Duke
Last edited by duke93535 on Wed 30 Jan 2008, 06:43, edited 2 times in total.

alienjeff

#6 Post by alienjeff »

Frugal HD install on HP Pavilion Celeron 600, i810 mobo video, very common Dell CRT monitor. Running Xorg:

1) still get distorted trapezoidal display
2) xvidtune can correct fairly well (insufficient height)
3) saved xvidtune settings, rebooted
4) reboot hung terribly long during "checking if upgrade"
5) return of the distorted trapezoidal display

Show stopper. Xvesa flicker too disturbing for consideration.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Tui

Paudiomixer

#7 Post by Tui »

I thought the paudiomixer was a rather cool one.
How do I get rid of new introduced one and replace it with pmixer?

I have included a screenshot of a problem I think! When window
opened this other mixer and draw the mouse thro' it draws a colour
window thro' it. please advise.
Attachments
v.396.jpg
(94.47 KiB) Downloaded 2228 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

Working on a new Tmxxine Vision ISO (despite having no hard drive) using Dingo 6
(The Buddha will be pleased)
The new dark theme is very similar to Vista IV in Ezpup. Very nice indeed . . .
- used in above screenshot
The startup directory is very useful. I used it to autostart the YAP program
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=YapInfo
:)

At the moment having problems with xine

The below graphic shows after an image is played once (set to loop with the -l paramenter)

An AVI file that was playing OK in the previous Alpha would not play at all :(

wasn't mplayer in one of the early alphas or did I dream that?
Attachments
xine.jpg
(21.37 KiB) Downloaded 2269 times
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 31 Jan 2008, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

Tui & Lob : please resize your pictures. There was a thread describing the requirements for sizing displays, including treatment of long links, recently. It was considered easy. Folks followed the advice for about a day. Now, world+dog ignores same. Let's hope John's new coterie of moderators can police this vital Forum etiquette more effectively.

Tui

#10 Post by Tui »

Hi sage, I can't find the info on re-sizing, how is that done ?

Cheers

Sage

#11 Post by Sage »

mount, cfdisk & PUI still unable to see IDE drives on any chipset - 3.01 not a problem.
CTL-ALT-BACKSPACE still creating immediate poweroff.

Tui: Ask John or F - they are keepers of the purse. Perhaps they can stick an huge banner up somewhere/ everywhere?!

geneven

bcm43xx

#12 Post by geneven »

For the first time with any Puppy Linux version, including several Dingos, my BCM43xx module was not automatically loaded.

When I loaded it manually, it didn't find any network and didn't create eth1, which all other puppy versions have done.

Interestingly, I tried loading the BCM43 module, which did load and did create a wlan0 listing, but scan didn't find a network.

I played with Autoprobe, which suggested I try a bunch of modules, none of which got anything but "no new interfaces were detected" It seemed to be willing to load one module after another, forever. I tried 3c589_cs, airo_cs, atmel_cs, axnet_cs, fmvj18x_cs, hostap_cs, libertas_cs, netwave_cs, nmmlan_cs, orrinoco_cs, ray_cs, smc91c92_cs, spectrum_cs when I got tired of that game!

I didn't see any problems otherwise.

When I finished this testing, I went back to a version of 3.01 puppy and my wireless worked perfectly, as usual.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#13 Post by Béèm »

Sage wrote:Tui & Lob : please resize your pictures. There was a thread describing the requirements for sizing displays, including treatment of long links, recently. It was considered easy. Folks followed the advice for about a day. Now, world+dog ignores same. Let's hope John's new coterie of moderators can police this vital Forum etiquette more effectively.
I second that.
People can still have 15" displays as I have and it's a pain to read the thread then.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

I have also built alpha6 with the 2.6.23.12 kernel, same as used in earlier alphas. Get it from here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... go-alpha6/

Please be careful, if you have tested the other alpha6 and created a pup_save or done a frugal install, that any pup_396.sfs and zdrv_396.sfs are removed from the hard drive. This is extremely important, otherwise tthis build with a different kernel won't work.

rover

alpha6 troubleshooting

#15 Post by rover »

perhaps i am not qualified to even make comments on something so over my head as trying to troubleshooting code but i just want to make the following comments so you may know there is something that is not working on my unit.

feel free to tell me to cease and desist if you can do better without my "help".

upon booting,alpha6 gave me a lot of trouble with xorg and i had to set up xvesa.

one of the first things i need to do with the system,i to go into jwm configuration and i change the mouse to be used as a left hand mouse,and the keyboard to us.

i cannot get into jwm at all. it will not open. i see a flash like it is opening and it closes immediately.

i do not think the correct drivers for the sis card is included for this motherboard.

i hesitate on screwing up another computer as i do not know of any way to shut a system down and not save the session. if i could just boot, look around and shut down without saving (and thus not saving the bad things)
that would be nice.
anyway, at this time this input is only for the d201gly2.

Jnoble

dialup

#16 Post by Jnoble »

I have not been able to get dialup to work in any of the dingos. I have three computers with three different types of modems and none of them works. When you put your phone #, user nameand password in and click on connect the computer freezes. All you can do is power off and back on. The same thing happens if you click on PROBE. Help anybody.
Jim

NathanO

#17 Post by NathanO »

Downloaded 3.96 'Retro', 2.6.23.12.

Tested on tower first, everything worked.

Tested on HP Pavilion zv6000. It does see the USB mouse and Wireless. I do not have WIFI here, will have to wait until I can get down to San Antonio.

Trying to change anything in the Tray configuration under JWM configuration causes an error still: 'New confg currupt. Keep Original'. Even restarting 'X' did not show the change to number of desktops or tray height. The height could go up some for the Battery Monitor.

It does seem to pick up and IP address under Auto DHCP faster the 3.01.

NathanO

Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

I have also built alpha6 with the 2.6.23.12 kernel, same as used in earlier alphas.
It was alpha4 - it says so at the front end. But it still doesn't work!

Much more instructive was the download speed I encountered - the slowest ever for any compact distro at >30mins. This suggests that there are hundreds, thousands, millions of folks downloading; ibilio is a massive server system.
That is really bad news for BK because there must be a whole bunch of guys out there who are having as much trouble as me. The silent majority has spoken!
The entire Dingo project might benefit from a ground-up review after finding out why and how all the other developers out here haven't had any trouble transferring to the new disc nomenclature post-2.6.21 or w.h.y? Too many things just don't work at present. A long holiday in India might help?!
I'd like to assist, but am limited to testing on account of inability.....

NathanO

#19 Post by NathanO »

Just to test 'install' I tried to add mplayer and its related .pet's. I came up with a 'Missing Lib's' that was 20 or so lib's long and it said they would be added to the list to download. It only added about 10 of them, then came up with another similar message, but never finished all the libs.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

Tui wrote:Hi sage, I can't find the info on re-sizing, how is that done ?

Cheers
Sage isn't much help for beginners is he? :lol:

To resize an image: Open it with mtPaint. (Just clicking on the image file in ROX will automatically open it in mtPaint.) First, crop unnecessary parts of the image by clicking within the image to outline the part you want to keep and then clicking crop in the "image" drop-down menu. Then, also in the "image" drop-down menu, choose Scale canvas, put 800 (or whatever) in the Width box, leave Fix aspect ratio checked and hit enter.

There are several good reasons for keeping your images smaller than 800 x 600 for the forum. For one, not everyone has a high-resolution screen. For another, many of the people using the forum have dial-up modems and large images slow down loading a page. Also, large images take up room on the server. John Murga has said it's not a problem, but still, try to crop and minimize their size. Thanks. :)