Fresh Start Puppy 3.01

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Fresh Start Puppy 3.01

#1 Post by Lobster »

• reboot

type in puppy pfix=ram this allows for a NEW config name when you close down
    select locale eg UK
    select and test video - well I don't need to test and it always works
    mount hard drive
    import bookmarks from hard drive (/mnt/hda1 after shutdown or reboot it will be /mnt/home)
    setup firewall (security done)
    setup internet connection (I have hardwired Ethernet - doddle)
Rock and roll
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

hersch

how to

#2 Post by hersch »

Where do you type in puppy pfix=ram. I went to com prompt type it in . I stop x then I tried to start x typed in what it says to do . No comand. I would just like to start over

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I don't know what happens if you've installed Puppy to a hard disk, but right after a Puppy CD has loaded isolinux, it stops for 5 seconds to allow you to enter boot options. This is where you enter puppy pfix=ram. You can extend the 5 seconds by hitting any one of several keys (I use the up arrow,) which will pause the boot process until you hit the enter key. Then you have all the time in the world to read the directions and enter puppy pfix=ram. Good luck. :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Flash,

Having Puppy 3.01 Frugal fully installed and using the very same files and directory locations I have one extra GRUB entry for booting to RAM. The only difference is in:
  • (1) Title saying what it does
    (2) Adding the pfix=ram argument to the kernel line.
Interactive input with GRUB is not nearly as easy as it is with the CD, but anticipating in advance what variety of boot options I will want is what writing the extra menu.lst options is about.

My major reason for ram option is for doing e2fscks on hda1, but it can also serve other purposes like testing packages without doing any damage to an existing pup_save file.

Bruce

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

In case anyone finds themselves looking at the Grub menu and wishing they had a way to add boot parameters without booting all the way up first, just stick the cursor over the relevant entry and press <e>. Now put it over the kernel line and press <e> again. Edit away. Hit <enter>. Now hit <b> to boot.

Those changes are only temporary though. You need to manually edit the file to make them persistent.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]