Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 03:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
What's Happening with Menu Management?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
ozboomer

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct 2005, 09:23    Post_subject:  What's Happening with Menu Management?  

Following Barry's announcement in 'News:27Aug05', I'd like to know if anything's happening with how menus are being managed across the different window managers.

For example I'm currently experimenting a little with FluxBox and all we have is v1.0.3 menu available as a DotPup on the wiki.

Seeing JWM's menu file is built in XML and there is some structure to how FluxBox menus are created, is there a program somewhere that converts between the two formats?

Even better, as I mentioned in my posting (which we can no longer access) back in March/April 2005, we could build our own 'definition files' for each window manager (rather than a separate program):

> 03/04/05 12:08:27 PM
> [...]
> How about we create a standard (our own) structured file
> that defines the menu structure of applications we want
> to use. Create programs that 'convert' our standard file
> format into a target window manager format (eg fvwm95 or
> jwm). This means we only have to maintain one 'structured
> file' and then build a program as new window managers
> come into use

...have we built something in a 'standard' Puppy format that will allow us to convert between any window manager format and our 'puppy format'? I've had a token look at /usr/sbin/fixmenus but that doesn't seem to do what I want/we need.
MU

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct 2005, 09:36    Post_subject:  

Hi,

I see no difference in parsing an own file or the .jwmrc.

So in my wxB-Menue I read in .jwmrc at every restart. Like this I can be shure it is always up to date with the "Puppy-Stuff" in addition to the entrys you add manually with the menue-Editor.

So for Fluxbox you could write a script that runs when Fluxbox is restarted, which replaces the ".fluxboxrc" or similar (don't know how easy it is to add such a handler to fluxbox).

Mark
ozboomer

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct 2005, 10:31    Post_subject:  

MU wrote:
I see no difference in parsing an own file or the .jwmrc.

So in my wxB-Menue I read in .jwmrc at every restart.

Ok then... I'll guess that we are 'safe' in assuming the .jwmrc XML will be our 'standardized menu file' and we'll have to build a script for each window manager that gets called in 'startx' or maybe include something in .xinitrc to guarantee our menus are built correctly.

Ta.
rarsa

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct 2005, 10:46    Post_subject:  

Funny, I went to bed yesterday thinking about this.

We started the discussion and then Barry made the anouncement (Aug 27, 2005). I stopped thinking about that, until yesterday that I realized that I didn't know what was that 'new standar way' of managin menus is.

I think that I missunderstood him. I know that we now have 'fixmenus' but that only works for entries that are already in the configuration files.

There was also de discussion about using the XDG standard which I think is the way to go. If we use XDG we don't need to worry about having 'markers' in the configuration files to insert menu entries.

Here is the thread:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1562&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Let's continue the development. We have already more pieces of the puzzle than what we had when we started the thread. I am still wondering how my (scarse) time can be best used in puppy.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum