making puppy work on old hardware

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
crabbypup

making puppy work on old hardware

#1 Post by crabbypup »

hello. i have recently found an old motherboard that accepts twin socket 3 class processors (486 intel/ amd) and has over 256mb of ram on the board so far.

i also have a whole bunch of old hardware for video and audio. my question is: can i run teenpup 2.14 on the old hardware? or will i have to downgrade puppy or upgrade my hardware?

if anyone has any suggestions for this project or would like to help, please post!! thanks.

Cpup.

darrelljon

#2 Post by darrelljon »

I found TeenPup 1 much nippier that TeenPup 2, and will shortly be putting it on a 750Mhz machine.

ttuuxxx

Re: making puppy work on old hardware

#3 Post by ttuuxxx »

crabbypup wrote:hello. i have recently found an old motherboard that accepts twin socket 3 class processors (486 intel/ amd) and has over 256mb of ram on the board so far.

i also have a whole bunch of old hardware for video and audio. my question is: can i run teenpup 2.14 on the old hardware? or will i have to downgrade puppy or upgrade my hardware?

if anyone has any suggestions for this project or would like to help, please post!! thanks.

Cpup.
well teenpup is a larger distro, what cpu speed and hard rive space do you have? Also I would put your better video card in it. I would do a full install if i was you. Have fun
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

crabbypup

#4 Post by crabbypup »

actually, there is only one 468mhz processor socket, the other one is a mathpro processor. but in light of this dicovery, i have decided to turn this project into a massive puppy based paralell computing supercomputer consisting of:

1x- amd 1.2ghz duron mobile class processor, 768mb RAM, 350GB HDD space, supermulti dvd burner, 100mb/s ethernet.

4x- 486mhz intel/amd mix processors, combined 600mb ram, network boot, no other drives but floppy, 10mb/s ethernet connected to a router to convert it to 100mb/s (and /or back).

i will be basing the structuring on the architechure of massiveley paralell's new system desighned for the darpa challenge.

if this computer works it will be quite fast. now, does anyone know any paralell computing PET's for puppy?

Cpup

crabbypup

forget the idea.

#5 Post by crabbypup »

since i have looked and cannot find any good parallel processing PET's or PUP's, i have decided to use the very bloated ROCKS distro for my supercomputer. thanks for the support. if anyone comes up with a solution to this, i may yet switch it over to puppy. but for now i have to restore my winblows partition since ROCKS trashed it :shock: . puppy has never done anything as stupid as that without me telling it to. too bad puppy won't do parallel processing for the machines i'm using. :x

the new hardware will consist of my main box as the central node, then 3 pentium 3's each with over 600mb RAM and a single 40GB HDD in each. (processors are running @900mhz each) 100mb/s ethernet
my avatar is what happens when you run windoze.

Everitt

#6 Post by Everitt »

It's really not that hard to get puppy to use MPI for parallel processing, just compile from source. It doesn't take long and works well. I had a play at making it work with 2.16. I'm afraid I don't have any packages though, I was using unleashed so didn't package anything. I said a bit about it here.

crabbypup

#7 Post by crabbypup »

right, but i want a package that will automatically reconfigure the programs to use the power they have available to them. i want to be able to boot up and have everything i use implement the power that i have. i also don't want to have to muck around with command line and stuff. from my so far limited use of command line, half the commands that are listed like the 'sudo su' root command, don't work. they are also alot harder to use.

i just want easy power, easy controls. even if someone else were to use the computer that had no knowledge of command line, and still have full power to use. (i also want to share other resources like RAM, HDD space, CD/DVD drives, video output through VGA card etc.)

thanks though. (your attempts are a great achievement, keep slugging)
I am also just a curious and slightly above average high school student.

:( (unfortunately i have almost no experience in code of any kind. but i have been teaching myself a bit of python, delphi, c++ and REXX)

Everitt

#8 Post by Everitt »

Ah, fair enough. :)
Hey, I'm just a curious and slightly above average 1st year uni student. :P
The sum total of my programming education was a few weeks of VB in computing AS level (age 16-17), and a single lecture on C last week (Which I paid no attention to, I know more than enough C for the course as is). Formal education is nothing compared to getting your hands dirty and having a go. That's how you learn. Keep playing! :P

Oh, and the reason sudo su doesn't work is that puppy runs as root anyway. I'm not even sure why the sudo command exists at all.

crabbypup

#9 Post by crabbypup »

hmm interesting. and you are right, practical work and experience is worth somewhat more that a formal education. you learn more out of school than you do in it. :D at least someone agrees with me!