Driver needed for a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 cardbus

Beartooth

Driver needed for a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 cardbus

#1 Post by Beartooth »

The auto-probe still doesn't find me one.

What I have is a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Integrated CardBus PC Card, according to its label.

On the back is something I can't read, white on yellow, and then PCM200. Also a couple of bar codes. One seems to be a serial number. The other says "00045A A3A729"

Beartooth

Solved in part : I found one!

#2 Post by Beartooth »

I found some kind of hardware-browser app, which gave a recognizable description and included the word tulip (which is not on the card); then went through the list of drivers again, and found the word tulip there.

So now it boots and connects -- but I can't seem to get it to write to the hard drive.

I have three partitions : boot, swap, and main. But I keep getting errors saying /dev/hda3 is mounted read-only.

I created a root password; so I can raise a terminal, become root, and tell it to mount /dev/hda3 -- where?? at / ?

Bruce B

Re: Solved in part : I found one!

#3 Post by Bruce B »

Beartooth wrote:I found some kind of hardware-browser app, which gave a recognizable description and included the word tulip (which is not on the card); then went through the list of drivers again, and found the word tulip there.

So now it boots and connects -- but I can't seem to get it to write to the hard drive.
Reading your posts in their entirety I'm presuming:

1) the connection problem is solved

2) we are only dealing with a mounting problem
Beartooth wrote:I have three partitions : boot, swap, and main. But I keep getting errors saying /dev/hda3 is mounted read-only.
I'd like to see what mount says. You can open console, type mount, enter, select output with left mouse, leave selected and paste into a forum post by pressing the middle mouse button.

Here's my mount output at present. The (rw) tell me that the various mount points are mounted read/write.

/dev/hda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
shmfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/hdd5 on /mnt/hdd5 type ext2 (rw,noatime)

Beartooth wrote:I created a root password; so I can raise a terminal, become root, and tell it to mount /dev/hda3 -- where?? at / ?
With Puppy you are almost always root. Therefore when you open a console window, it's ready to accept root commands.

For manual mounting of hda3 you would want to make a mount point. I'd recommend /mnt/hda3 as the conventional location for mounting. However you can mount hda3 at other locations. If you want /mnt/hda3 you must make a directory if it doesn't already exist.

mkdir /mnt/hda3

Presuming /mnt/hda3 and an ext2 filesystem the commands would be.

mount -t ext2 /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3

The default would be read/write

If you don't know your filesystem type you can usually eliminate the -t switch and mount will figure it out. Then your command line input would be:

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3