Sound not working

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
gingerwombat

Sound not working

#1 Post by gingerwombat »

Hi,

I have previously used puppy linux on a few computers and found it to be great with no problems. I am currently trying to make an old gateway solo 3100 (http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Sol ... 00nv.shtml) useable again.
I have limited experience with linux but have so far managed to get opera installed and have also set up a swap file.

The laptop has 96Mb of ram and a 200Mb swap file. I am not sure what the sound chip is but it is on board and the gateway website states "16-bit stereo audio, built-in OPL3 (FM synthesizer), built-in 3D enhanced controller; full duplex operation with two DMA channels; supports Sound Blaster Pro 3.01 game playback compatibility"

My problem is that the alsa wizard does not seem to get my sound working it finds a "nm256 00:02.1 class0401: 10c8:8005 (rev 12)" then when loading this driver it then states "soundcard not found"

I appologize if i have missed anything out, any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks

prit1

#2 Post by prit1 »

Did you get to the point where Alsa probes legacy drivers? If yes, then try deselecting everything other than sound blaster 8 and 16.

rockaway

#3 Post by rockaway »

The problem is that you are trying to install sound drivers for a external sound card. As you mentioned that you have onboard sound card. Therefore drivers you are trying to install is not finding any sound card. It can be the case that you might have not installed proper sound drivers for your onboard sound card because of which you have sound problem on your laptop.
RockAway Technology
www.rtginc.net

gingerwombat

#4 Post by gingerwombat »

Cheers Prit and Rockaway,

I tried the legacy driver thing and sure enough it found something and configured it with no error messages for both sb16 and sb8, however using theese drivers still gives me no sound, does that eman the sound just doesnt work?
I have no way of checking with windows as the laptop has no hard drive.

tempestuous

Re: Sound not working

#5 Post by tempestuous »

gingerwombat wrote:... the alsa wizard does not seem to get my sound working it finds a "nm256 00:02.1 class0401: 10c8:8005 (rev 12)"
Device ID 10c8:8005 reveals that your audio chipset is the Neomagic NM2200 MagicMedia 256AV.
This is supported by the ALSA snd-nm256 module. I suggest you pre-load this module, like this -

Code: Select all

modprobe snd-nm256
then run the ALSA wizard again.

rericsson

#6 Post by rericsson »

My Dell Inspiron has the same card (I think). I got it to work by following the steps outlined in http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25169.