How do I set the refresh rate and resolution in xorg?

Booting, installing, newbie
mforce2

How do I set the refresh rate and resolution in xorg?

#1 Post by mforce2 »

I've got Puppy 1.05 installed and I've also installed x.org 6.8.2 which appears to be running just fine except there's one problem . I can't seem to modify the resolution or the refresh . To change the res. I've tried modifying the xorg.conf file ( letting only the 1024*768 mode ) but that didn't seem to have any efect . Actualy some way of knowing what resolution and refresh I have would also be nice since I don't even know that ( seems like 800*600 though ) . I usually do this by using some GUI tools from KDE or GNOME but here I I don't know how to do it.
Any help would be apreciate . Thanks !

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Post your xorg.conf, please.

There is a utility called xvidtune, see this message:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=16944#16944

Oh, I just see it was posted by you ;)

Anyway, I think it just reads the values of xorg.conf, and allows to change the resolution to one of those values "on the fly".
So if xorg.conf is not set up correctly, xvidtune will not work either.

To see your resolution, run /usr/X11R6/bin-2/xwininfo in rxvt, and click on a free area of your Desktop.

Mark

ntrel

xrandr

#3 Post by ntrel »

A useful diagnostics tool is a program called xrandr. I don't use X.org with Puppy, but I'd guess it'd be there.
Type xrandr to get a numbered list of resolutions and the refresh rates X is set up to work with per resolution.
Type:
xrandr -s screenresnumber -r refreshrate
e.g.

Code: Select all

xrandr -s 0 -r 60
If you happen to choose a setting that doesn't display well, you can use ctrl-alt-plus or ctrl-alt-minus to switch to another resolution.
In case of emergency, you can force X to restart by pressing ctrl-alt-backspace, but this will consequently force restart your desktop.

xrandr is to switch between screen modes, but this isn't permanent - so if needed you could add the xrandr -s -r command line with the desired values to a startup script. I use xrandr sometimes for troubleshooting.

MU

#4 Post by MU »

oh, thats nice, did not know that, works fine.

This will make it easy to write a grafical resolution-switcher in PuppyBasic.

xrandr should be in the bin-2 -Addon.

Thanks, Mark