How to use 2wire 802.11g USB wireless adapter?

scriptage

How to use 2wire 802.11g USB wireless adapter?

#1 Post by scriptage »

2wire 802.11g usb wireless adapter
Puppy Linux v3.01

I've installed the drivers successfully using ndiswrapper. However when I type ndiswrapper -l this is what is displayed.

#ndiswrapper -l
ndiswrapper : invalid driver!
wlanuig : driver installed

After typing modprobe ndiswrapper the screen seems to hang and I have to hit ctrl+c to get back to a prompt. However when I type lsmod it shows the following.

Module Size Used By
ndiswrapper 179917 1
usbcore 127128 5 ndiswrapper, .......

When I type iwconfig it displays this:

lo no wireless extensions

Anyone have any idea what's wrong here? The invalid driver error seemed to appear after I typed ndiswrapper -mi, but I've also uninstalled and re-installed the drivers a couple of times. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

scriptage

#2 Post by scriptage »

Ok, I was able to get rid of the error by typing ndiswrapper -r ndiswrapper. I have no idea why that occurred but at least that's solved. I was also able to successfully load ndiswrapper. However the only way I could accomplish that was to use the puppy network wizard. Anytime I tried to do it from the terminal it would hang. So I opened the puppy network wizard and loaded the module by manually specifying ndiswrapper. I now have a wlan0 interface. However that brings me to my next problem. My router uses WPA/TKIP encryption and unfortunately the network wizard has just alerted me that my interface (or drivers can't remember exactly) doesn't support WPA so now the WPA button is grayed out. Any suggestions?

scriptage

#3 Post by scriptage »

Well I seem to be getting closer but I continue to run into problems. I'm now able to select the WPA/TKIP and entered the configuration information and saved my profile. However the interface doesn't detect any wireless networks. I've tried using the scan button, using the Test wlan0 button, and tried selecting the profile I created but no matter what I do it doesn't detect a network. :x

scriptage

#4 Post by scriptage »

Still no luck detecting any wireless networks. I've followed all of the instructions in the thread below but when I get to the wpa_supplicant command it never ends up connecting. The software doesn't seem to be communicating with the usb adapter at all. The adapter has a light on it that should blink when it's in use but to this point it's stayed solid. Perhaps the drivers are not installed right or they are the wrong ones? How can I test whether the computer is communicating with the wireless adapter?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 469#159336

scriptage

#5 Post by scriptage »

Code: Select all

iwconfig displays the following:

lo	no wireless extensions.

wlan0	IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any
	Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 Ghz Access Point: Not-Associated
	Bit Rate:2 Mb/s Tx-Power:32dBm
	RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
	Encryption key:off
	Power Management:off
	Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
	Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
	Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

ifconfig -a displays the following:

lo	Link encap:Local Loopback

wlan0	Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:60:xx:xx:xx:xx
	BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
	RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
	RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

ndiswrapper -l displays:

wlanuig : driver installed

lsmod displays:

Module		Size	Used by
ndiswrapper	179740	0
usbcore		127128	5 usb_storage,ndiswrapper,usblp,ohci_hcd

Should there be anything listed after usbcore other than ndiswrapper? I've tried to open the 'Usbview USB information' from the MENU but nothing happens after I click it.

Linus

Maybe my method will help you

#6 Post by Linus »

scriptage wrote:Still no luck detecting any wireless networks. I've followed all of the instructions in the thread below but when I get to the wpa_supplicant command it never ends up connecting. The software doesn't seem to be communicating with the usb adapter at all. The adapter has a light on it that should blink when it's in use but to this point it's stayed solid. Perhaps the drivers are not installed right or they are the wrong ones? How can I test whether the computer is communicating with the wireless adapter?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 469#159336

Look here, but instead of the wlancig.sys file I think you use the wlanuig.sys file for usb.....read in the inf file and you'll see the install instuctions for the usb call upon the wlanuig.sys file. Also my pcmcia card was being auto recognised as prsim54....if your usb is being recognized as something else first you need to move that driver module out of the kernels module folder so that it won't do the auto recognize and you'll be able to use ndiswrapper with getting the wlanuig: driver invalid! error message. I hope this helps.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 506#173506

tony

#7 Post by tony »

Hi scriptage,

I used the wlanuig.inf driver

and the following script to connect after I got ndiswrapper to install it.

Iwconfig is a good start..

You will have to change some of the parameters to suit

eth1
essid
ep
netmask
key
ping address
swat up a bit

I trust you have easy access to the internet. It's infuriating if you have to travel to the local library for access.
Good luck.
Regards tony

echo "Script to wake up theBelkin F5D7630 Router"
#iwconfig eth1 freq 2.447GHz
sleep 1
iwconfig eth1 essid belkin54g
echo "ESSID Belkin"
sleep 1
echo "Mode = Managed"
iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
sleep 1
echo "AP 00:30:F1:F5:53:D5"