apt-get on puppy?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
elliboy

apt-get on puppy?

#1 Post by elliboy »

Hey, I use debian on my host and puppy on my client. I have copyed over a couple binaries and liberaries and am working on getting apt-get to work with puppy linux. Everything seems to be in order I can successfully do an "apt-get update" and it recognizes all my sources. the problem seems to be in dpkg. when I apt-get install something i get this message:

"E: sub process /usr/bin/dpkg returned with an error code (1)"

to get something a little more in depth I "dpkg -i"ed a packaged and got this:

"dpkg: couldn't extract control file."

okay I know my idea is a little crazy but i think its worth a try. If anyone has an idea let me know. Thanks!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Good plan. :)

Are there front ends to apt get that would be suitable for Puppy?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

elliboy

#3 Post by elliboy »

i dont think i will use any gui. it takes up space and its kinda unpractical. But if you had apt-get you could apt-get install any gui you wanted.

I got dpkg working now im having some other problem... i will tell you guys if i ever have it working all the way. Post here if you have information that might help me.

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

Great!

I've actually had slapt-get working in Puppy. Puppy is mostly compatible with the slackware binaries.

The problem I found was that it does not recognize that some libraries and dependencies are already installed, so it tries to download and install them, sometimes with incompatible versions.

If you try to install anything X, it will try to download the full X. I was planning to get back working on that based on priority. I was thinking on 'manually' creating the already installed package list to fool slapt-get.

It was actually not too difficult. after Installing the slapt-get dependencies, it worked (although as I said, corrupted all my pup001 file).

It's still on my list of things to do. I'm waiting for Barry to give me a hint on where are his priorities.