1.0.2 boots OK, 1.0.4 & 1.0.5: kernel image not found.

Using applications, configuring, problems

1.0.2 boots OK, 1.0.4 & 1.0.5: kernel image not found.

#1 Post by guest »

I have been working with puppy for many months and versions 104 and 105 will not boot on my laptop. 102 definately works well.

It says kernel image not found

I have burned many cds and the results are the same

These cds boot on other computers though

any suggestions ?

This error comes on the first screen.

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

What laptop make and model is it?

Some lappy cdrom drives are funky and don't like some home burned media. CDRW disks are especially problematic. I had a 24X cdrom drive that would not load Puppy. I switched to a 20X cdrom and it worked fine. Go figure, one would think the faster (newer) cdrom drive would work.

The other issue is how you burned the disk. Try a cd-r disk burned at 2X and see what happens. Often these drives have a hard time reading tracks burned too fast.

Also, make sure that the cd-r disk is rated in speed for the lappy cdrom drive. It seems that if the speed rating of the cd-r media is slower than the drive rating, it works better.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

#3 Post by Guest »

Thanks for the info.

It is an HP ze 1250. The cd-rom is only a writer. It is a replacement cdrom, not the original. I burned on an ASUS CD writer via a firewire port. Burning speed is 4x. 2x is not supported. I also burned it on a different computer with the same story while booting on the laptop. I have burned many other distros with no problems... Kanotix, Slax, ...

I think there must have been some change in the boot process. I have had this happen occasionally with other distros as well, then on some future release it may clear up.

I am at a dead end I think.

Thank you again.

#4 Post by Guest »

I now tried both new RCs both Mozilla and Multisession:

Multisession boots OK ... yeah

Mozilla still cannot find kernel :(

Mysterious