Trying to boot puppy -> but it cant auto detect monitor?

Booting, installing, newbie
mochos

Trying to boot puppy -> but it cant auto detect monitor?

#1 Post by mochos »

I brought my compter somewhere (it already has puppy installed on its harddrive) and I need to boot puppy. However when it gets into the window manager the monitor says 'frequency out of range' or something and I'm lost. I tried a second monitor around here and it doesn't work either. Do I need to reinstall puppy for it to auto reconfigure itself for a different monitor??? If not how do I make it do that manually.

#2 Post by Guest »

try typing rm /etc/videomode
then type startx

mochos

#3 Post by mochos »

but how do i stop it from going straight to the gui

#4 Post by Guest »

you should be able to kill X windows by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace

mochos

#5 Post by mochos »

no no, i tried that already it doesn't seem to work. Maybe that means x is not completely loaded yet, and because i dont have a monitor at this point i can't tell.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Is this on-board video or AGP card or what?

mochos

#7 Post by mochos »

no its a pci video card. It would be useful to know a way to stop puppy from auto running X. If this is available in puppy remaster thing, that is not an option since I can't see anything.

Well, since I dont have anything valuable on my pup001 ill just delete that from my main OS and reinstall puppy. However rm /etc/videomode would have been easier if i knew how to get to a console before it starts X (or if i knew why ctrl alt backspace doesnt kill it).

#8 Post by Guest »

ctrl-alt-f2 should bring you to another text console.....

even if it is a bit garbled you can still try
#rm /etc/videomode
#reboot

raffy

Deleting pup001

#9 Post by raffy »

since I dont have anything valuable on my pup001 ill just delete that from my main OS
That will be enough for Puppy to create new configuration at start-up.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

Are they flat-panel monitors?

I ask that because I have only ever once encountered a "frequency out of range" problem. It was a flat panel monitor ("plasma" I think). The standard VESA settings of the video card are not good enough for it -- I presume under Windows it requires a driver.

Auda

#11 Post by Auda »

Thats the Problem I'm having. I have a viewsonic VG712s and a VG710s
the resolution is 1280x1024 and the freq range is 30-82 kHz and 50-85Hz The video card is an on board ATi rage in a dell GX1. Any way I can change the videomode file to change the freq. from 86.7 to less than 85 ?
Auda

MU

#12 Post by MU »

can you boot with a lower resolution?

If yes, you could start X, download xrandr to /usr/bin.
Extract it (gunzip /usr/bin/xrandr.gz)

Then create a shellscript, enter these comands in the console:

touch /usr/bin/myres
chmod 755 /usr/bin/myres
leafpad /usr/bin/myres

Now enter these lines:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
xrandr -s 1280x1024 -r 84
Save it, and drag it in rox-filer to your desktop.

Now you always could start X with 800x600, and then click on the icon to switch to high resolution.

If you don't have success, and nobody knows a solution for the Puppy-Xserver, then try xorg:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2303

The Addon-package contains a grafical tool to change resolution and refreshrate (xvidtune):
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2361

Good luck, Mark
Attachments
xrandr.gz
(8.74 KiB) Downloaded 322 times

Auda

#13 Post by Auda »

I can boot to 800x600. I couldn't extract the file to /usr/bin, its a read only file system so I used /bin instead. I also had to change the attributes for xrandr to executable, but it didnt work :-(
I 'll look at the other options now.
I was hoping to be able to add a switch in the xoptions in the vesa wizard it seems to be possible after reading about tinyx however I cant find the format for the -screen command.

Thanks

Auda

Auda

#14 Post by Auda »

Many thanks, I installed Xorg and it works !
So if anyone else has a Dell GX1 they can use your pup and set the video to what ever they like.

Auda