Muppy 008.2 (Feb 01, 2008) outdated

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
wetterau

Mini Muppy 8.2

#41 Post by wetterau »

Mark, just to say thanks for your hard work. Mini-Muppy 8.2 works very well on my Thinkpad T23, 512mb ram, 40gb hd. Just a balanced, sensible, well thought out system. I use it day in, day out, no problems. Highly recommended!

PaulBx1

#42 Post by PaulBx1 »

Barburo, thanks for the tips. I guess I have resigned myself to using a pupsave generated from Muppy, rather than from Puppy. I was kinda guessing that was the way it would go. A shame really...

Much of the other does not apply to me. I boot off CD, and the only OS on my hard drive is Win98. No frugal install or grub; I just open the CD drawer if I want a Windows boot.

If I still have the youtube problem, I will either try to upgrade Seamonkey or give up on Muppy. Almost the only reason I am shopping around for a new puppy derivative is to fix things that don't work in Puppy 2.16. Obviously if they get worse, I am not interested.

MU

#43 Post by MU »

I can see that video without problems, it just has a quite high CPU-usage.
But I upgraded my seamonkey:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Internet/Seamonkey-nightly/

Also Muppys Firefox plays it well.
It has automatically upgraded itself to version 2.0.0.12.
I activated Flash 9 in the Internet-menu.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

PaulBx1

#44 Post by PaulBx1 »

Muppy has a built-in utility for mounting previous .2fs or .sfs files by clicking on them.
I just tried this; it does not work. Gives the message "Failed mounting or unmounting." Looked into it; it does not support encrypted pupsaves. Mount-FULL is there, which is what I used in my convert-pupsave utility for encrypted files.

MU

#45 Post by MU »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23056

PaulBx1 once explained how to mount encrypted pups by hand :)
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

PaulBx1

#46 Post by PaulBx1 »

Hey, if I remembered stuff like that, that would be wonderful!

BTW I just tried that youtube again. This time when it hangs, just that seamonkey window hangs. I can exit the window and everything is fine.

I also tried running the video just a bit and pausing it, seeing if I could load the whole thing and then run it. Turns out just the loading is what is hanging it.

That made me recall that Barry decided to put /tmp in memory rather than on the hard drive, for Puppy 3.0. That is one of the problems I had earlier; filling up a precious resource like memory rather than a cheap one like the hard drive. That's one of the main reasons I never went to 3.0!

Ideally, he should have made this a configurable option. Is that something that is possible for Muppy I wonder? :)

MU

#47 Post by MU »

no, Muppy uses the init-scripts from Puppy 301.
I had no look yet, where /tmp is set up.
But I think videos are usually cached in /root/.mozilla/firefox/.../cache/ I think.
Maybe you could move and symlink it to another drive?
Mark

PaulBx1

#48 Post by PaulBx1 »

I noticed my cache in the Seamonkey preferences was set to only 4MB so I bumped it to 100MB and restarted the browser but it did not help. I also enlarged my pupsave but that didn't help.

I ran it and looked in /tmp. A file appeared there called "FlashoNtG6D" and that grew up to 40738968 bytes at which point the video crashed and the file disappeared. I'm guessing /tmp really is in ram, is set to 40MB (in my case), and when it runs out of room then Seamonkey chokes.

Again, I don't think Barry made a good decision to put /tmp in ram (I recall him mentioning this change, I think in one of the blog posts).

By the way I have 320MB of ram so it's not really a small-ram machine. However I use no swap due to running encrypted; maybe that has something to do with it.

(Edit) Maybe that's not it. I have the same problem in 2.16 and that has /tmp on the hard drive I think. Still, maybe it is limited to 40MB even there?

One other item. Just to verify, since I didn't read it in your earlier posts: Muppy is not intented to upgrade from Puppy? That is, a Puppy pupsave won't work with Muppy?

PaulBx1

#49 Post by PaulBx1 »

I installed Seamonkey 1.1.8 and it had the same problem.

I ran it one time with an unrelated 15MB file already in /tmp; that time it crashed when the /tmp/Flashxxxxxx file there reached 25MB. That is definitely telling me I am hitting a 40MB limit for /tmp.

PaulBx1

#50 Post by PaulBx1 »

Gnumeric has no functions. I know mini is supposed to be trimmed down but a spreadsheet without functions is pretty worthless. :)

MU

#51 Post by MU »

I made a quick test now, that seems to work.

First, I mounted /mnt/sda3

Then I exited X, and typed:
mkdir /mnt/sda3/tmp
mount /mnt/sda3/tmp /tmp

Now if I copy a very huge file to /tmp , it will be saved in /mnt/sda3/tmp

I verifiy that I now have enormous space free in /tmp:

Code: Select all

# df -m
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                      150       149         1  99% /initrd/mnt/tmpfs
tmpfs                     9387      7840      1070  88% /tmp
/dev/sda3                 9387      7840      1070  88% /mnt/sda3
/dev/sda3                 9387      7840      1070  88% /tmp

With this method you loose all files that were previously in /tmp, like the bootlog.
So you might copy them first somewhere else.

Use at own risk, I did not check for sideeffects.

Gnumeric:
I made no changes, so is that an issue inherited from Puppy3?
I once compiled an own version, can try that out:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Office/Gnumeric-1.6.3/
I do not remember, if it uses the same folders as Puppys version, so if you want to try it, better make a backup of msy_save.2fs first.

Mark

MU

#52 Post by MU »

gnumeric again:
the dotpup would install to /usr/local, so there is no sense in using it.
But no need to try it anyway.
I have all plugins in /usr/lib/gnumeric, and can see them in gnumeric, too.
In tools-plugins.
That lists many functions plugins, like for finance or mat functions.
Do you not have those?
Mark

PaulBx1

#53 Post by PaulBx1 »

First, I mounted /mnt/sda3
Then I exited X, and typed:
mkdir /mnt/sda3/tmp
mount /mnt/sda3/tmp /tmp
See, I used to know that stuff back in my old unix days, but I have forgotten by now. (sigh)

I will see about tacking something on to /tmp to add to its size; however I prefer to use something inside my pupsave for security. If I can figure that out...

I assume in 2.16 all of /tmp is inside the pupsave.

df -m shows /tmp with 39MB in Muppy. It is possible some of the Puppy 3.01 complaints had to do with a too-small /tmp.

I will let you know if a larger /tmp does not clear up the youtube problem.

Sorry on that gnumeric stuff, it was an operator error. The function button is greyed out under certain circumstances. Been a while since I played with spreadsheets.

MU

#54 Post by MU »

I ran some hours with the /tmp mounted on the USB-harddisk, then rebooted.
I encountered no problem doing this.
Now I use the old mode again, as it is slightly faster.

To mount it inside msy_save.2fs, you could create /tmp2, and then mount /tmp on it.

Mark

PaulBx1

#55 Post by PaulBx1 »

Yes, I tried it, and it worked great.

When I add (in my case /root/tmp) to /tmp this way, we still have the high performance of a ram-based /tmp don't we? Until that part gets filled? If so, we need to persuade Barry to tack this extra pup_save-based resource on to /tmp in the boot. This was one of the reasons I never upgraded beyond 2.16, because of the problems of a small /tmp. I'm assuming it can't be done in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, and it sure would be tedious to have to do it manually for each boot.

PaulBx1

#56 Post by PaulBx1 »

Mark, I'm still trying to convince myself to move from Puppy to Muppy. :)

I am fairly confident Muppy will be around for a while since it has a good potential "market" in Germany and you are tied so closely into Puppy development. And I think the support will be there too. Is it a big effort to maintain the English version of Muppy, along with the German one?

I'm always interested in security. Do you have any plans to add gpg, enigmail, dmcrypt, things of that nature? It seems appropriate since so much encryption development comes out of Germany, if I'm not mistaken. Americans really need encryption these days since our government is (unconstitutionally) playing Stasi, snooping into our emails.

I suppose you are still busy Germanizing the scripts.

Gnumeric has a new stable version; I'd like to see that updated. Is it in your plans, or are you just going to follow what Barry does with 3.02 on gnumeric?

I think I read somewhere you are looking to make the boot speed faster for mini-muppy. That would be nice.

I like the idea of having full muppy available just by booting with one extra sfs, but running normally with the stripped down package. A great feature!

If Barry is not too interested in pushing the Puppy 3 tree any more, maybe he should dump it on you by just saying "the official upgrade path on the Puppy 3 tree is Muppy"! :) I wonder how hard it would be to make that work in actuality; I mean with the pup_save issue?

MU

#57 Post by MU »

Hi Paul,

The english and german versions have the same priority.
The german one just slows down the rest a bit, because of the additional translation. But at moment I do not translate, but develop own programs.

I currently concentrate on desktop related stuff.
The GtkBasic-Panel with the new Menu, because the Icewm-menu has a delay at first startup. I found external postings, where this was a reason not to use Muppy, and it disturbs me, too.

Then the MIME-system, my MIME-editor must be enhanced.

I currently do not plan to add cryptografic tools, but only because I don't understand enough of it.
If you would make a tar.gz containing all required files, I'd be glad to add them to the addon.sfs :)

We plan to release 008.3 in the end of march.
I will try to integrate the new gnumeric.
It also will contain the new GtkBasic Panel.
And Minisys Final, that then will include an application to set up Puppy easily as a Samba-server.
You then can choose in your browser from a tree-view, which folders shall be shared in a network.

That will be it for that update (beside some smaller tweaks like an updated pburn).

Concerning an upgrade of a pup_save.3fs from Puppy 30x I have no solution yet.
It would take some days of testing how to do that reliably, but my todo-list is very full atm, so I fear I cannot care about it for that release.

We also have first requests by german consultants, who plan to use Muppy for thin clients in a larger environment.
This will require some customized tweaks for those companies.

Mark

PaulBx1

#58 Post by PaulBx1 »

If you would make a tar.gz containing all required files, I'd be glad to add them to the addon.sfs
I only wish I was among the group of people competent to do this. I have tried in the past with little luck. I am not a software engineer, just a hardware jockey (a retired one at that - lately I have been fixing fences and splitting wood! Soon I will be pounding sand. :lol: )

If you have actual paying customers, by all means take care of them first. :)

MU

#59 Post by MU »

If you have actual paying customers, by all means take care of them first.
Sure.
But we just had first contacts now, so lets see how things develop.
Until then I concentrate on enhancing Muppy :)

Encryption will play a role especially in germany, too, because of our government that currently seems to think that Stasi-methods are a fine thing.
Luckily our lawers now have stopped this approach, at least partially.

But these tendencies will come up again, I'm certain.
So it is good to be protected in case you want to send private data over the web.

I will keep it in mind, when I read about new dotpups offering such tools.

Mark

PaulBx1

#60 Post by PaulBx1 »

I was going to try my hand at compiling gpg (which I managed once before) for Muppy. I guess I need the devx file. All I can find is the devx_080, and the sfs boot manager is not interested in that. Can I just rename it to devx_082? Or are there changes that would not allow that to work?

I needed to use sha1sum to check my gpg download and it did not exist in muppy or puppy. I found one that works in Windows :roll: but maybe it would be a good thing to have in Muppy.

Another item; I don't know how far you are getting into the boot script, but I think if encryption is used, particularly heavy encryption, the default for swap should be "off".
Luckily our lawers now have stopped this approach, at least partially.
If they're anything like our government, they are still doing it, but just keeping quiet about it.