WakePup2 v0.2 - Floppy boot disk (or boot CD) for Puppy2

News, happenings
Sit Heel Speak

#41 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Actually the sole developer is pakt, I was only the original tester. The information on where usbaspi.sys comes from is not from pakt, rather I deduce it from other sources. But I could be mistaken.

One thing I should have initially suggested: the floppy disk...format it freshly in Windows before you load the .img file onto it...and at the end of the format process, make sure there are "zero bad sectors" on it. Otherwise, even if it has only 512 bytes bad, then fold it in two, throw it in the trash, and start over with another one.

chintue

The Basics of WakePup

#42 Post by chintue »

Hi Guys,
I've been an amazed fan of Puppy Linux for just about a year now. When I read that you could boot from USB, I was taken aback by the flexibility of this project. Then, when I found that you could boot from USB on machines that dont have support for USB in the BIOS, I was floored.

I've spent some time looking at the WakePUP boot disk, but it really doesn't tell me a lot. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to clue me in on how it was "built" so that I can ponder the possibility of using similar approaches to boot other OSes off USB sticks on NON-Bios Supported machines.

I have a very nice laptop that happens to have non-working hard drive controller. Being able to pick and choose which USB OS I want to run would be miraculous. But, since it doesnt bios support usb, USB Puppy has been my only answer so far (no cd burner in the machine).

Thank you in advance.

pakt

#43 Post by pakt »

chintue, I made WakePup ages ago using FreeDOS and uses, as Sit Heel Speak correctly writes, Panasonic's superb USB DOS driver, as well as other drivers, and is completely MS-free. I've also made a couple of special-purpose versions of WakePup - search the forum for the links if you're interested. If you are familiar with DOS batch programming, you should be able to figure out how WakePup works. The FreeDOS project has extended the original DOS batch language, making it much more powerful.

John Doe and others have recently begun updating WakePup. You might like to join in the discussion. Here's the link: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=19831
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

Inuyasha

Re: Using WakePup for subdirectories

#44 Post by Inuyasha »

pakt wrote:
dsulmon wrote:I'm trying to use wakepup to launch a puppy saved in a subdirectory.
This isn't an issue with wakepup but with Puppy. Puppy can only find files that are in the top directory. However there is a thread where someone (sunburnt?) has modified Puppy to look in subdirectories. You'll have to search the forum for more info.

Paul
Does anyone have more information about that?
I have a few versions of Puppy Linux on a hard drive.
Each version is within its own partition.
[img]http://tinypic.com/43nkxdw.png[/img]
[img]http://tinypic.com/2me7cie.png[/img]

tithen

WONT BOOT

#45 Post by tithen »

:( :( I have put wake puppy on floppy using the writeing file then i have put a the marker and iso on usb flash,usb hd, and iehd all at the same time but when i insert the floppy it says like every other time i boot boot disk does not exist but then below when ive put in floppy it says freeDOS then it just stops it deosnt freeze it just stops. ive tried taking it out and putting it back in without rebooting it just makes a clicking noise like when i used the write file but it is louder but it still doesnt work. :( :(

also is it possible to have a setup puppy .exe file????? :?:
ITS FOR MY SISTERS LAPTOP I DONT WANT TO BREAK IT AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO BOOT FROM A FLOPPY DISK SHE WANTS IT FULLY WITHOUT WINDOWS UNLESS IF IT WILL STUFF THE COMPUTER.

PS IF YOU NEED PICTURES OF IT EMAIL TO timsoutbox@hotmail.com
OR
REPLY HERE[/img]

tithen

WONT BOOT

#46 Post by tithen »

I have put wake puppy on floppy using the writeing file then i have put a the marker and iso on usb flash,usb hd, and iehd all at the same time but when i insert the floppy it says like every other time i boot boot disk does not exist but then below when ive put in floppy it says freeDOS then it just stops it deosnt freeze it just stops. ive tried taking it out and putting it back in without rebooting it just makes a clicking noise like when i used the write file but it is louder but it still doesnt work. Sad Sad

also is it possible to have a setup puppy .exe file????? Question
ITS FOR MY SISTERS LAPTOP I DONT WANT TO BREAK IT AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO BOOT FROM A FLOPPY DISK SHE WANTS IT FULLY WITHOUT WINDOWS UNLESS IF IT WILL STUFF THE COMPUTER.

THANKS Very Happy

OR
REPLY HERE

tithen

WONT BOOT

#47 Post by tithen »

I have put wake puppy on floppy using the writeing file then i have put a the marker and iso on usb flash,usb hd, and iehd all at the same time but when i insert the floppy it says like every other time i boot boot disk does not exist but then below when ive put in floppy it says freeDOS then it just stops it deosnt freeze it just stops. ive tried taking it out and putting it back in without rebooting it just makes a clicking noise like when i used the write file but it is louder but it still doesnt work. Sad Sad

also is it possible to have a setup puppy .exe file????? Question

THANKS Very Happy

OR
REPLY HERE

tithen

SORRY FOR REPEAT

#48 Post by tithen »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

muggins

#49 Post by muggins »

Can the laptop boot from cdrom? This is the usual way to test whether puppy works with your computer, or not. Then if everything works OK, you can explore other ways of puppy installation.

What is currently on the laptop? If windows, you don't necessarily have to wipe it, as puppy can co-exist on a windows partition. See here, for info on a method of installing puppy to a windows partition:

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwin/contents.htm

tithen

#50 Post by tithen »

i have put the written disk in to the laptop then turned it on but it just booted normally.

It is a toshiba with windows on it

tithen

file 17 not found

#51 Post by tithen »

I followed that link above and installed it all on to the toshiba laptop then I reboot it i select linux puppy another thing pops up to select puppy version i press enter it deos some of that dos script then it says file 17 not found can some one help. the laptop is a toshiba win 98 and the puppy ver is 3.01 seamonkey. please help.
ps can anyone help with computer its a ME i dont know what make but i want to use the above or wake pup with usb and floppy. or sd card and floppy.

muggins

#52 Post by muggins »

i have put the written disk in to the laptop then turned it on but it just booted normally.
Does this mean that puppy booted normally, or that windows booted normally?

If the latter, then either you need to alter the bios to boot from cdroms first, or the bios doesn't support cdrom boot. To check this you need to enter the bios by pressing whatever key activates it, in the first few secs after boot. Maybe Delete key, F1, Escape key? In the bios there should be an entry for Boot order, or something like it. It's there where you can make sure that the computer boots from cdrom before hard disk.

If the computer doesn't support cdrom boot, then you can still try a smartbootmanager floppy, to try & get the cdrom to boot.

If puppy cdrom did boot normally. Does it work OK? If yes, then I would suggest that you let the puppy CD save it's pup_save.2fs file to the hard disk, and just continue using puppy by booting from the cdrom, until you're more familiar with it's usage & peculiarities. Then. later, you can perhaps wipe the hard disk & dedicate it to puppy.

With regard to the error 17, can you post a copy of the file menu.lst? Also, which files have you copied to the hard disk, and where to? Lastly, does windows still boot OK?

tithen

re

#53 Post by tithen »

:oops: sorry by disk i meant a floppy. i copied the oones i was told to to grub and puppy folders. menu.lst i copied this
title Puppy Linux 3.01
kernel (hd0,0)/puppy301/vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=hda1 psubdir=puppy301
initrd (hd0,0)/puppy301/initrd.gz
boot
plus the stuff in there.

with config.sys there was nothing in it but i continued anyway.
with menu.lst i saved it and it said it was changing into a txt file i pressed ok but it didnt change.

tithen

re

#54 Post by tithen »

i forgot to copy a file it works ow but xorg and the other one dont work it says probing vid. hardware and it deosnt continue from there

tithen

Me linux

#55 Post by tithen »

is there a linux guide for win. ME like the one above?

Dr. Dzivite

#56 Post by Dr. Dzivite »

Would anybody be so very kind, please, and advise - what / how should I do to copy these 4 files (INITRD.GZ, PUP_xxx.SFS and VMLINUZ and USBFLASH) into the DOS partition of USB stick ?
As far as I understand - it is necessary to place them there, otherwise I was not able to get it up & running ... or how ?
Thanks a lot in advance
Dr. Iveta Dzivite
Center for Child and Adolescent Endocrinology
University Children's Hospital, Riga, Latvia

muggins

#57 Post by muggins »

Dr. Dzivite,

Did you try booting from a pup cdrom, mounting the cdrom, then running the universal installer, then selecting to install to USB Flash Drive?

Is your Bios set to boot from usbkey?

Dr. Dzivite

#58 Post by Dr. Dzivite »

Thanks a lot, Muggins. It helped and all boots run smoothly now. The only thing I regret a little bit - why should I postpone with Puppy for so long time ... it is nice indeed. Thanks again. Best regards. Iveta

Polish Rifle

#59 Post by Polish Rifle »

I just installed Wakepup2 on a CD-ROM to boot Puppy Dingo onto my computers. It worked for all of them except for my laptop. I had to manually make the computer boot from the CD an then it said there was no SCSI.SYS file? The booting stopped right there also saying something about not else would be installed.

I'm assuming my computer is missing a file or driver but isn't that the point of wakepup and puppy? That you computer can basically be missing all crucial files, haha.

svlevity

Floppy boot disk for Puppy2

#60 Post by svlevity »

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, with a limited computer background. I'm trying to create a bootable floppy disk so I can use an older laptop that does not read a USB drive directly. When I unzipped WakePup2 and put a floppy disk in the A: drive I got the following message:

'rawrite' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. The wakepup2 boot disk has been created. Press any key to continue....

The floppy disk appears to be empty. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.