puppy hangs displaying "probing video hardware"

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
pgs843

puppy hangs displaying "probing video hardware"

#1 Post by pgs843 »

Hey guys, obviously im new to the forums, but ive been using puppy for awhile now. I have used puppy 3.1 and 2.17
when running puppy 2.17 on a laptop it hangs after displaying "probing video hardware". I mean, i can hit the arrow keys and the cursor moves, but it doesnt make any progress in booting. the laptop has 192 megs of ram, and i have tried both Xorg and Xvesa many ways. I could try other linux distros, but i really dont want to because i really like puppy and it actually works compared to other linux distros. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to fix this problem. Thanks so much :)

rerwin

xorg probing hang

#2 Post by rerwin »

pgs843,
I have addressed this problem with some older Toshiba laptops. But the fix is in only the above Puppy versions. The 4.00beta version should handle the most laptops.

To be sure yours is supported, please tell me what laptop you have and possibly what the ddcprobe command reports for the "oem:" line in its output. To get there, boot with "puppy pfix=nox" until it stops with a # prompt, then type "ddcprobe" (without the quotes.
Richard

Dave Brown

Startup of Puppy 3.01 on Toshiba Portege 7200 also hangs

#3 Post by Dave Brown »

My Portege 7200 also hangs on start up. "ddcprobe" oem = Trident CYBER 9540

Dave Brown

workaround for 3.98

#4 Post by Dave Brown »

downloaded and tried 4.00 beta (3.98).
then, at hang, I followed the on-screen instructions:
ctrl-c
xorg