Log of Delays with Using Puppy Wiki

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
ozboomer

#1 Post by ozboomer »

The delays are on again... Haven't had the dramas for a while but I'm going to establish this topic so we can keep a track of when the delays happen. Perhaps Barry can pass this on to the goosee.com people to see what's running when the problem happens and we can track this rotten thing down.

Loading Puppy Wiki home page... via Telstra Cable... in Melbourne... took 160 sec to render the page ... as at 8-May-2005 0445 GMT

ozboomer

#2 Post by ozboomer »

Loading Puppy Wiki home page... via Telstra Cable... in Melbourne... took 161 sec to render the page ... as at 8-May-2005 0543 GMT

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Ian »

There is something strange about this ozboomer.
I just open the Wikki main page: 0.6005 secs on a 33k dialup 1545 EST here in QLD.

Have you tride doing a trace route on it when it is working normally and when it is running slow. That might give you an idea of what is going on.

I just got there in 19 hops, the goosee address is shown as 66.179.215.22 but I don't know if that is static or allocated.

I'll try at the times you indicated tomorrow and see what happens.

ozboomer

#4 Post by ozboomer »

We've been trying to work this out for weeks. I've tried using different DNS's (Telstra's still having troubles with routers, etc)... have tried flushing/clearing caches (on my PC)... and the ping/traceroute times are all relatively 'normal' (for Aust. cf the rest of the world)... but sometimes, we've had people with the same troubles, in both QLD and VIC, so I'm not sure what that's all about.

Still haven't had any input from goosee.com though, that I can recall.

Another time to check will be Sunday, ~5:30pm-10:30pm AEST... This has traditionally been the (most reliably) 'worst' times.

Oh... and BTW...

Win98SE, Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1...
Telstra Cable, in Melbourne...
PuppyLinuxMainPage...
=> Page was generated in 160.3273 seconds, 8-May-2005 0722 GMT

Win98SE, Firefox 1.0...
PuppyLinuxMainPage...
=> Page was generated in 0.1891 seconds, 8-May-2005 0726 GMT

Win98SE, Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1...
PuppyLinuxMainPage...
=> Page was generated in 160.3121 seconds, 8-May-2005 0731 GMT

Win98SE, Netscape 7.1...
PuppyLinuxMainPage...
=> Page was generated in 160.3189 seconds, 8-May-2005 0738 GMT

Win98SE, Firefox 1.0...
PuppyLinuxMainPage...
=> Page was generated in 0.1868 seconds, 8-May-2005 0740 GMT

AMAZINGLY consistently broken with IE/NS... and yet Firefox is good. This makes me think it's something with a configuration of the server on goosee.com OR there's something awry with how some browsers work with some servers. In the past, both IE and FF have both had troubles with the wiki.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Ian »

Hi Oz, I'm working on the Wikki at the moment : Sunday 8/05/05 5:57 EST and so far it is working normally.

I'll stay on till 6:28 and see what happens.

#6 Post by Guest »

goosee.com is hosted by arrowweb.net.

I have dialup with Dodo here in Western Australia, and I've been looking at the Wiki at various times, trying to catch it out, but I always get a fast load.
I think I posted in the old forum that my packets go through various Telstra nodes.

Anyway, I am thinking of mirroring my entire site somewhere else, like here in Oz, but in the case of the Wiki I'm not so sure how to do it, given that it's a mySQL database ...maybe I can just mirror it all and it will have to be read-only?

...or, I may end up moving it! planetdomain.com.au seem to offer nice hosting deals -- I have puppylinux.com, puppylinux.org domains registered with them.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

i suspect that delays might be caused by cgi/php/perl on other websites on the same server using a lot of ram and cpu time

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Well, SimpleforumPro is still running, although it is read-only. It is probably still getting lots of visitors.

ozboomer

#9 Post by ozboomer »

Well, this problem is still around... and it's sending me silly (not hard to do where Linux is concerned!)

I'm not sure what to think but the delays are still independent of ISP... and I think it's some sort of timeout problem on goosee.com. The rendering of the home page of the wiki is almost exactly the same no matter which ISP I tried to load the page from. For BigPond cable, it took 80.3379 sec. to render the page and via my other ISP (Connexus) it took 80.3298 sec.

To explain the scenario... I loaded the Puppy home page on two computers at the same time, one via BigPond and one via Connexus. I set-up a traceroute on the BigPond PC and set it to going at the time I clicked on the 'Wiki' link on the Puppy home page. As the two PCs are adjacent, I did the same thing on the Connexus PC at the same time. The wiki home page was shown on both PCs at the same time (~80 sec. after starting the load) and the traceroute logs showed the same unreachable node, although the routes taken via BigPond and via Connexus were different.

As I'm not overly flash on how the routing of requests outside of my PCs works, I'm not sure where the problem is... but I'm still guessing there's something in the wiki that is attempting to load something that I can't see from my PCs -- that 80 sec. thing is looking distinctly like a timeout figure.

Anyway, all this boils down to the same thing - the wiki is frequently unusable... at least from Melbourne (I've tried this booting Puppy Linux on a couple of PCs at another site in Melbourne as well as here at home and get the same sorts of problems).
Attachments
WikiDelays.zip
traceroute logs on PCs connected to 2 different ISPs
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 630 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

I think we will move the Wiki soon... let the Puppy Foundation manage it?

I have some instructions somewhere, how to dump a mySQL database. Then can gzip it and upload it somewhere else ...don't know anything about mySQL, so that will be an interesting exercise!

So, anyone know a really nice Linux-friendly host site, supports PHP and mySQL, and very cost effective?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

i think slow rendering is caused by other cgi/php/perl websites that are on the same server machine hogging the servers cpu-time/ram, which slows things down

ping times should have nothing to do with render speeds ... the render time is how long it takes the server computer to create the web page it was asked for

moving to another server would of course be a solution to a slow server

you can choose to have your webpages on a dedicated server ... a single machine that is not sharing other websites on the same machine ... then you never have this problem, though it is more expensive

virtual servers have more than one website sharing the same machine, but they have load balancers, so no website can hog the servers resources, so it behaves like a dedicated server

raffy

MySQL and MediaWiki

#12 Post by raffy »

A lot of people here will know how to backup MySQL - and it is easily done by the user via PhpMyAdmin.

The challenge is in the migration to MediaWiki, as suggested in the Puppy Power section. Having an experienced Wiki host will help solve this, but am confident this can also be done by people in the forum.

Let us wait awhile for experienced Wiki hosts to come forward...

doopdoop

#13 Post by doopdoop »

I am having exactly the same problem: fast, when logged in, extremly slow when not.
Seems the authors of Wikka Wikki are aware of this:

http://wikka.jsnx.com/ExtremeSlownessWorkaround