Storing files on the Puppy CD

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#21 Post by GuestToo »

i think files on the Puppy ms cd should be accessible from Windows ... it writes the files using the -J mkiosfs option, which puts Joliet information on the cd that Windows can read

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#22 Post by Flash »

When I "Explore" my 11 Oct multisession Puppy DVD in Windows, it seems only to be able to see the files in the first session. Also, since it doesn't recongize the extensions it can't open those files.

Ted Dog

Windows DVD+Rw vs. DVD-R

#23 Post by Ted Dog »

On the DVD-R version windows can see the folders, DVD+RW it can't, crazy Windows I would like to help them but William G. doesn't answer my e-mails :x Oh and that whole close source thing slows me down. :) I wonder when Billy will play ball, the dogs play well!

Pizzasgood

#24 Post by Pizzasgood »

When he is beaten at his own game by a free, 60 megabyte os written by an "eccentric" Aussie roaming the outback with a laptop, he may consider changing his ways....

Flash, have you tried any programs oriented towards recovering lost data? Windows might not be able to read the other sessions, but they probably could.
Yeah, I know that wouldn't be ideal for the random Joe using Puppy, but it's better than nothing.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Windows DVD+Rw vs. DVD-R

#25 Post by BarryK »

Ted Dog wrote:On the DVD-R version windows can see the folders, DVD+RW it can't, crazy Windows
I didn't have a very good first experience with a dvd+rw -- I burnt multisession
Puppy onto it and it created a single 4G session, filling up the entire dvd.

DVD-R works well, and is better than DVD+R perhaps, as the former
supports 2000 tracks, the latter much less.
Then there's a 4G barrier for directories.

So, the recommendation is single-layer DVD-R.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#26 Post by Flash »

I've burned 11 Oct multisession Puppy to both a DVD-RW and DVD+RW with no apparent problem, though it's early to say for sure. I burned them both with Record Now in Windows, because it's what I'm used to and it always seems to work, and I'm not yet familiar with burning DVDs in Linux. I just use the Record Now default settings. I don't know what most of them are.

Perkins

#27 Post by Perkins »

the multisession disk I've got seems to be readable from both puppy and Windows. It does seem to have issues with a couple of drives though... They seem to pick random tracks to read at startup, so I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get. I think it may be the drives though. As long as you start the disk in a format that Windows can read it should be fine.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#28 Post by BarryK »

Perkins wrote:the multisession disk I've got seems to be readable from both puppy and Windows. It does seem to have issues with a couple of drives though... They seem to pick random tracks to read at startup, so I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get. I think it may be the drives though. As long as you start the disk in a format that Windows can read it should be fine.
Are you using a DVD-R?

Flash,
I recommend that you do it from the commandline in Puppy:
# growisofs -speed=4 -Z /dev/hdc=name-of-iso

...but, if it works okay using Record Now, especially if boots and shuts
down without errors after you have burnt multiple sessions, then I guess
that's okay, we can give Record Now the thumbs up.