NOT copy pupxxx to ram

Booting, installing, newbie
mmdmurphy

NOT copy pupxxx to ram

#1 Post by mmdmurphy »

I have a 512 meg USB drive (Cruzer Micro) that I finally got puppy to run from & I LIKE it. BUT, I don't want my pup100 file copied to ram during boot, then copied back to the USB when I shut down.

Anyway to tell it to use the pupxxx file from the usb drive and keep it there?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

As I understand it, the pup001 file is copied to RAM when the computer boots and not written back to flash memory until it shuts down, in order to minimize erasing and writing to the flash memory. Flash memory cells begin to lose their ability to remember after around a million write/erase cycles. That sounds like a lot, but it could be used up unnecessarily quickly if the OS were allowed to use the flash memory like a hard drive.

Why do you want to run from the flash drive?

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Quickfix: Powerdown instead of clicking shutdown. It only rights back when you run the shutdown script.

Hardfix: Edit the shutdown script to not right back to the pupfile. This may have to be done by loading puppy without the pupfile, then mounting the pupfile from the flash drive (otherwise the change wouldn't be written back to the pupfile :roll: ).

There may be easier/better ways, but I don't know them.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

I don't want my pup100 file copied to ram during boot, then copied back to the USB when I shut down.
Actually I think it's better if we start by understanding what the problem is.

What do you really want to happen and why?

If you want to write directly to the usb drive, nothing prevents you from creating a smaller pup001 file to be used for installing applications and such and writing your data files to /mnt/home, which is the USB drive.