Dingo alpha7 feedback/bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#41 Post by BarryK »

klu9 wrote:OFF TOPIC
I'm surprised these incremental versions aren't being additionally offered via Xdelta patches (as opposed to only full-size ISOs), to really reduce the download time for the majority of users, who'll already have a previous alpha.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/XdeltA
I saw your earlier posts about xdelta, but I just never got round to looking at it. Just now looked a the link -- looks good. Perhaps I will use it for the next Dingo, hopefully the beta.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

changturkey

#42 Post by changturkey »

Barry, did you have the chance to read my prior post? I was just wondering, were any changes made to ALSA from alpha6 to 7?

zygo

#43 Post by zygo »

Barry,

From http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=100

'I checked /etc/ppp/chap-secrets in 301 and found it contained the literal username and password separated by a 3 character sequence (tab, asterix and tab) followed by a blank line' pap-secrets is identicle.

Thanks for including cdp. It's ideal for older CD drives with an external headphone socket or where the PC was built with the luxury of a CD drive to sound card cable - oh the expence!

***Edited to make hyperlink out of plain url.
Last edited by zygo on Mon 10 Mar 2008, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

zygo

#44 Post by zygo »

I have a new PC with vista on a SATA drive which I need for another project. It has 2GB of RAM and I want to use it with Puppy live-cd on a regular basis. I have mistakenly booted Puppy without pfix=ram and when I next booted vista it complained then 'fixed' the disk. Will changing the first line in isolinux.cfg to 'default puppy pfix=ram' avoid this?

What I would really like is a way to stop Puppy scanning the IDE bus at boot or any other time. Or just sata drives. Or maybe all drives including usb. Is there an easy way to do one of these like delete a module before remastering? I'd like the drive to disappear under Linux. The trouble is ms has to keep changing ntfs to disuade the use of alternative OSs. And that although I have a backup, that doesn't mean the cost of recovery is zero.

rcrsn51

#45 Post by rcrsn51 »

Just out of curiosity, did you let Puppy make a savefile in the Windows partition? Is that what Vista complained about?

zygo

#46 Post by zygo »

No, I didn't let Puppy make a save file. Will it not try to make a swap partition in a file without pfix=ram?

zygo

#47 Post by zygo »

No, I didn't let Puppy make a save file. Will it not try to make a swap partition in a file without pfix=ram?

OldYogi

Wireless connection fails

#48 Post by OldYogi »

Here are my two posts to the Users forum, which probably belong here:
The Network Wizard works fine only the first time I run it. It did when I loaded Alpha 6, and again when I loaded Alpha 7 (both running off of a frugal install on a pendrive). The second time, however, it says it connects, but SeaMonkey can't connect.

When run the first time, the Wizard scans and finds all of my neighbors' wireless SSID's, as well as mine. The second time it only finds mine! This sounds like a good thing, but since it never works the second time, this must be part of the problem.

I believe that the Wizard will connect properly if I delete all the old data, but I can't find the old data. I've deleted two relevant files: /var/lib/dhcpcd-eth1.info, and /var/run/dhcpcd-eth1.pid; but that doesn't solve the problem. Those files are generated by a script, /etc/dhcpcd.sh. I could disable the script, but there is some other info stored somewhere that needs to be deleted so the login runs clean.

Does anyone know where? Is this a bug that needs to be dealt with?
and
This was useful, but I still havn't solved the problem, nor have I located all the relevant files. I delete /var/lib/dhcpcd-eth1.info, and /var/run/dhcpcd-eth1.pid. By the way, the dhcpcd script is coded to remove the .pid file, and the comment in the script says the .pid file creates problems if it remains after a prior login. Anyway, I also deleted the info about my network connection that had been stored in /etc/WAG/profile-conf. Info is stored there, it seems, only if you tell the wizard to save a profile. I didn't because I'm trying to keep this as uncluttered as possible until I solve the problem.

Anyway, after deleting all those files I go back to connect again, and the only network the scan offers is mine, although there are several neighbors equally strong, and they all turned up the first time I logged in. Although I had deleted all those files, the system created a netscan.log, file in /tmp with all the detailed info about my network.

Somehow the wizard remembered the wireless I had connected to the first tiime. So I conclude there must be yet another file with a record of what I had connected to the last time, and that file isn't being cleaned out.

The bottom line is that although the wizard regularly reports that I am connected, I don't get a working connection. I have successfully connected to my wireless only twice -- once, the first time I tried to connect after first installing Puppy, and the second time the first time I tried to connect after installing Dingo Alpha 7. I conclude that after fresh installs some data isn't in the system that gets left there after a connection is established, and that leftover info interferes with subsequent attempts to connect.

Anyone know more about the inner workings of this? Thanks.
I'm running this off of a frugal install on a pendrive, on a Thinkpad T43. Since I get a live connection the first time, I don't think it is simply the driver -- but who am I to say?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#49 Post by BarryK »

changturkey wrote:Barry, did you have the chance to read my prior post? I was just wondering, were any changes made to ALSA from alpha6 to 7?
The difference is the kernel drivers. Alpha7 is using the kernel from Puppy3. Alpha6 built with the 2.6.24 kernel has later drivers.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#50 Post by BarryK »

zygo wrote:'I checked /etc/ppp/chap-secrets in 301 and found it contained the literal username and password separated by a 3 character sequence (tab, asterix and tab) followed by a blank line' pap-secrets is identicle.
I still haven't tuned in to what you have done to fix it. ...perhaps I've been using broadband too long, I'm forgetting about dialup.
I just looked at those files, there's nothing in them. Do you know what writes to them -- is it wvdial?
You have said what is in them, but what did you change to fix it?
Excuse me if I'm being a bit slow to catchon what's going on here.

charnisingh

Dingo a7

#51 Post by charnisingh »

Barry,
refer your blog regarding Gxine, i think that is the right conclusion.
i was not very comfortable with xine, it is not very easy to handle for a newbie . gxine is easy to handle but it does have a full screen problem as you mentioned. but i have observed, with ezpup that problem does not persist, that means ezpup does have some pkg which corrects that fault, so i suggest to look into ezpup and find out that particular pkg it contains that brings out that effect to
gxine and gxine becomes stable and can be put to full screen without maximising it first.

other option is mplayer 1.0rc1 which i use and it can be put to full screen without any problem and one can create the play list very easyly.

last option we have is vlc-0.8.6 which i use and find very easy to handle since it does not require any play list to be created, it can play directories , may it be audio or video and can be put to full screen without any problem.

however one has to look into their overall size with their dependencies since we look for smaller pkgs.

Sooty2

USB istall

#52 Post by Sooty2 »

I have found that a fresh install using 396 or 397 will not boot from a USB stick.
If I use 301 to set up the USB stick with Gparted and a working system then I can upgrade to 396 or 397 using the universal installer or upgrade manually without killing the stick.
I have only tried FAT16 at this stage, as this seems to be the least problematic partition scheme.
I have tested three different brands of various sizes, with the same results.
Seems to be the universal installer getting something slightly wrong in a "fresh" install for 396 and 397?

Regards

jcoder24

Re: Geany print problem - easy fix

#53 Post by jcoder24 »

BarryK wrote:So, I've commented those lines out. Dingo is commited to CUPS I think, so cannot go back to PDQ.
It would be nice to be able to go from CUPS to PDQ at least via unleashed. PDQ is nice for getting a little more into a remaster by removing CUPS+deps and still have printing.

wlake

#54 Post by wlake »

Runnging in frugal mode. I like it a lot, very fast. So far the main thing I notice is that my laptop fan runs continuously unless I reduce the computer frequency. HP w/ Core 2 Duo 1.667 Gh.
Regards,
wlake

GrumpyWolfe

USB

#55 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

Hi Berry

Now that I looked at the code you put on your blog I may very will have typed no and this may have caused it to delete all the files.

That be said there is one thing I do have a problem with and I may be misunderstanding the settings. I have tried to turn off DPMS, I have even tried saving the file to the root dir. But the system still goes into power saver mode after the time set. I so what the screen saver to blank the screen just do not want the drives to shutdown if let on while trying to get other thinks around the house done. So Berry if I need to save it to a different place or other change let me know and yes after saving I will then hit apply and the box disappears.
Live and Let Live

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/mywolfe/]MyWolfe at Sourceforge[/url]
[url=http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/]MyWolfe Blog[/url]
[url=http://groups.google.com/group/mywolfe-linux]MyWolfe Groups[/url]

zygo

#56 Post by zygo »

Barry,

I entered my isp username and password into the two empty files /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and /etc/ppp/pap-secrets in the format described with Geany. Jnoble suggested it while also saying he knew no more. After that pupdial works - with that isp.

I guess that Wvdial copies them to these files from pupdial in Puppy301 and Wvdial doesn't in Puppy4. You fixed a problem with pupdial showing the wvdial log after disconnecting and with firewall modules. But I think that this aspect of dialup has not been fixed in Puppy4.

This might jog your memory of your heroic struggle but is pre Puppy2.17 (wvdial 1.41)
http://www.ibiblio.org/bkauler/news/com ... 607-062209

HairyWill

#57 Post by HairyWill »

no xorg for my intel 830m graphics card
I don't think any of the dingo alphas have done it. I got used to using xvesa with the initial releases and then never though about it much when xorg was added.

Gpptp
I'm not sure how much use this program is because it doesn't make any changes to routing which is a significantly hard part of setting up a pptp connection.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

rerwin

Modem hardware change-out not detected - SOLVED!

#58 Post by rerwin »

To test various modems with Puppy, I use the same pup_save for all tests. However, after changing modems (and booting), Puppy continues to show the modem as the previous setup. The workaround is to boot with pfix=ram every time the modem is replaced. But that loses everything in the pup_save.

The cause of this misbehavior is in the /etc/rc.d/rc.modem script, which contains commented-out code (line 28+) that would correct things. The change was made to accommodate the special case of disabled integrated modems.

Code: Select all

#if have booted with modem turned off, default to previous setting...
#[ ! -e /dev/modem ] && [ "$OLDDEVM" != "" ] && [ "$OLDDEVM" != "MYDEVM" ] && ln -s $OLDDEVM /dev/modem
#a problem is many PCs have an on-motherboard modem that may not be used.
#if bootup with main modem turned off, do not want to revert to the 
#motherboard one. so i can't really have auto-detection for booting a pen
#drive on different PCs... commented above, just do this...
if [ "$OLDDEVM" != "" -a "$OLDDEVM" != "MYDEVM" ];then
 rm -f /dev/modem 2>/dev/null
 ln -s $OLDDEVM /dev/modem
fi
Please reconsider the favoring of the special case to the detriment of Puppy's ability to keep up with the installed modems. Maybe there is another way to handle the special case.

Thanks.
Richard

UPDATE 3/12/08: To facilitate my testing of a lot of modems, I went ahead and modified /etc/rc.d/rc.modem to make it work as one would expect -- and it works great!

I did retain the "feature" of retaining the previous setting if no valid modem found, but only if the last modem was a serial modem (ttyS0-4). External modems can be turned off, but PCI and USB modems? I also added detection of Lucent modems that do not identify themselves for puppy to detect; this is for some Thinkpads I know of. Also, my username gets corrupted because it contains an underscore, which gets changed to an ampersand -- fixed that by using a tilde instead.

The diff listing:

Code: Select all

3a4
> #v3.98 RE 12mar2008: synchronized modem setup to actual hardware, so that only serial modems retain their setup if modem is turned off at bootup time; added detection of LT modems that do not identify themselves; changed temporary use of underscore to avoid corrupting username (rerwin).
28,29d28
< #if have booted with modem turned off, default to previous setting...
< #[ ! -e /dev/modem ] && [ "$OLDDEVM" != "" ] && [ "$OLDDEVM" != "MYDEVM" ] && ln -s $OLDDEVM /dev/modem
34,36c33,47
< if [ "$OLDDEVM" != "" -a "$OLDDEVM" != "MYDEVM" ];then
<  rm -f /dev/modem 2>/dev/null
<  ln -s $OLDDEVM /dev/modem
---
> #v3.98 begin
> #if have booted with serial modem turned off, default to previous setting...
> if [ ! -e /dev/modem ];then
>  if [ "$OLDDEVM" = "ttyS[0-4]" ];then
>   ln -s $OLDDEVM /dev/modem
>  else
>   #Check for nonidentifying LT modem, as in some Thinkpads.
>   #Load driver, set modem type, but unload companion if fails.
>   modprobe ltserial 2> /dev/null
>   if [ $? = 0 ];then
>    ln -s ttyLT0 /dev/modem
>   else
>    rmmod ltmodem
>   fi
>  fi
39c50,57
< [ ! -e /dev/modem ] && exit # ***EXIT HERE***
---
> #If no supported modem detected, so indicate in wvdial.conf
> if [ ! -e /dev/modem ];then
>  cat /etc/wvdial.conf | sed -e 's/^Modem .*/Modem = MYDEVM/' | sed -e 's/^Init2 .*/Init2 = MYINITSTRING/' > /tmp/wvdial.conf
>  sync
>  cp -f /tmp/wvdial.conf /etc/wvdial.conf
>  exit # ***EXIT HERE***
> fi
> #v3.98 end
69a88
>  
117c136,137
< xINIT2="`echo -n "$INIT2" | tr '&' '_'`" #sed problem with &
---
> #v3.98 Changed temporary substitute for ampersand to tilde, to avoid using underscore, which can appear in Usernames.
> xINIT2="`echo -n "$INIT2" | tr '&' '~'`" #sed problem with &
120c140
< cat /etc/wvdial.conf | sed -e "$APATTERN" | tr '_' '&' | sed -e "$BPATTERN" > /tmp/wvdial.conf
---
> cat /etc/wvdial.conf | sed -e "$APATTERN" | tr '~' '&' | sed -e "$BPATTERN" > /tmp/wvdial.conf
The new version, annotated for inclusion in 3.98 is attached, along with the diff list. Please consider it for the beta.

Thanks. Richard
Attachments
rc.modem_for 398.tar.gz
Modem detection that keeps up with the hardware installed. Belongs in /etc/rc.d.
(2.7 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 13 Mar 2008, 03:07, edited 2 times in total.

kirk

#59 Post by kirk »

So far it's looking very good.

I've improved the File-Sharing ROX app. It's here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 013#181013

Glad to here about the changes coming for petget. Sounds like a big step in the right direction.

Please consider adding Dougal's Hotpup. I've been using it since 2.17, very convenient. It would be especially nice for newbies. I think it's in 2.14R.

I might have mentioned it before, Zigbert's Stardust icons and theme look very nice. :wink:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#60 Post by Lobster »

Please consider adding Dougal's Hotpup
Agreed
Completely intuitive to see ones available storage devices at the bottom of the screen.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D