Test iso 14th October

#1 Post by not-logged-in-BarryK »

Here is the latest, for testing:

http://puppy.wise-guy.us/

Burn it to DVD like this:

Code: Select all

# growisofs -speed=4 -Z /dev/hdc=puppy-multisession-14oct05.iso
where /dev/hdc is the DVD burner drive.

DVD-R single-layer is the preferred media.

Alienx

#2 Post by Alienx »

please, can I burn it to a normal cd-r ?
Sorry, broken english above :-)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Alienx wrote:please, can I burn it to a normal cd-r ?
I tried that, with Record Now in Windows, but it refused.

Ted Dog

burning test ms14 iso on to CD

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

I was able to burn and run the Oct14 iso on a no name CD booted slower than the same iso on DVD, but no differences so far.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

What program did you use to burn it, burniso2cd?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Well, preliminary testing shows that DVD+RW might be the only disks that won't work. Both of the (cheap, no-name) DVD+RWs I tried didn't work. I burned the first one with Record Now in Windows. It booted OK. I configured it and then shut down the computer. It seemed to save to the DVD and I don't remember any error messages. but it wouldn't reboot. I had to do a complete erase with Record Now; quick erase wouldn't work.

Then I tried burning it in Puppy with growisofs. That didn't report any errors. When I tried to boot the disk it reported a number of bad sectors or something like that, but started anyway. I shut down saving to the DVD+RW, but it wouldn't boot again.

Just to be sure it wasn't a random bad disk, I tried another DVD+RW from the same stack, with pretty much the same results: it booted, and seemed to save when I shut down, but wouldn't boot again.

So I gave up on using DVD+RW, for now. I already know that DVD-RW works well, at least when initially burned with Record Now. I burned a DVD+R disk with growisofs in Puppy, configured it, then rebooted, saving to the DVD+R. It rebooted fine, with the settings I had made. It's what I'm using as I write this.

When Puppy saves to the DVD on shutdown, at the end, before it's completely done, it ejects the tray then immediately pulls it back. Does that happen to anyone else?

Also, I put a copy of multisession1.0.5 14oct05 in the root directory, so I can burn new disks if I want, but it takes a lot of time to load at each boot and save at each shutdown. I'd try putting it in the 'archive' directory, but I can't find the directory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Later, after more testing) Barry, you're a genius. Now I see why you took out the Archive folder. The 1.0.5puppy.iso file I saved to /root is there when I look for it, but apparently without having to be read from and written back to the DVD every time it starts and shuts down.
Also, I'm happy to report that the mouse acceleration setting is saved, and the burner tray quit shooting out and back in when it finished burning at shutdown. Must be it really doesn't like DVD+RW.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

Flash,
I don't think DVD+R is as good as DVD-R, as the letter supports 2000 tracks,
but the former ...only about 150 tracks I think.

Near completion of shutdown, the tray opens and a dialog message appears stating that you
can remove the DVD if you wish. It asks you to press the ENTER key to
close the tray.

...I don't know how that is happening, but perhaps somehow you have
pressed ENTER before the dialog displays and that is used...?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Barry. I edited my last post; you may have missed the bit I added.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: burning test ms14 iso on to CD

#9 Post by BarryK »

Ted Dog wrote:I was able to burn and run the Oct14 iso on a no name CD booted slower than the same iso on DVD, but no differences so far.
It will be good if the side-effect of all this effort focussed on DVD, also results in ms-CD working well :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

Can someone test what happens when the DVD gets full?

Save some enormous files each session, to fill it up.

What is supposed to happen is the rc.reboot-cd shutdown script detects the
DVD is full then asks you to insert a new blank DVD, then makes it into
a bootable live-Puppy DVD and then saves the session to it.
...in theory anyway.

The previous DVD gets "closed", meaning that sessions can no longer be
saved to it, but it is still bootable
-- that could be tested also.
-- also when it shuts down it is supposed to recognise it is full and closed.

Ted_Dog

reported MS-CD success clouded by error

#11 Post by Ted_Dog »

Sorry to report after rebooting the MS-CD based on OCT14 iso the script mistook the normal CD for a DVD but cdrecord didn't. Setting would not be saved back. I have a whole set of different DVD types (exept DL - way to expensive ) and will try different settings. It appears the DVD setting in the init-cd script incorrectly Id's everything as a DVD type. I will try to override it to see if it is a slight glich. I am writing from LFS version of linux. I hope to learn more how this stuff is started. :idea:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

I'll do it, but is there an intended place to save stuff so it isn't loaded into RAM when Puppy boots? I thought you had somehow solved that problem without the use of the Archive folder, but that was when I was trying out DVD+R, and the whole thing quit working before I could confirm it. I've switched to DVD-R, which so far seems to work OK, but there is no Archive folder and the stuff I save (in /root) is loaded into RAM every time Puppy boots. This would take forever if the DVD was full, even if I had that much RAM.

On a related subject, does ms Puppy look at the actual size of the DVD, and the actual amount of room remaining? I could use a mini-DVD to speed things up. It only holds 1.4 GB.

ted_Dog

use -M

#13 Post by ted_Dog »

growisofs -M /dev/dvd -D -R -J /mnt/cdrive/windows/

use the bloat for something good. 8)

Ted_Dog

dvd+rw-mediainfo on error stream not standard out stream

#14 Post by Ted_Dog »

testing a no-name CD (burned with ms-14iso) The call to the command goes to error not out.

Code: Select all

DVDRWMEDIAINFO="`/usr/bin/dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd`"
:-( non-DVD media mounted, exiting...

# DVDRWMEDIAINFO="`/usr/bin/dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd`"
:-( non-DVD media mounted, exiting...
echo $DVDRWMEDIAINFO
INQUIRY: [AOPEN ][DUW1616/ARR ][1020] GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
Sorry to miss this earlier. :roll:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

I just don't have any idea how this thing works. I burned a DVD-R, booted, saved a 150 MB file to /root, then rebooted. It took so long to save to, then load from the DVD that I assumed it was reading the large file from the DVD back into RAM. But when I rebooted again, it didn't take long to save the little I had changed, and it didn't take long to load. What's going on, Barry?

Ted Dog

larger files stored in archive

#16 Post by Ted Dog »

A single file that size will default to archive and not be reloaded into ram. the file will still exist on the DVD so keep it up only 4.55 G to go.. He Hee :lol:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

Ted Dog,

Here's how I thought I'd do the test Barry wants done: boot the multisession Puppy DVD-R in a computer which has 512 MB of RAM and 16 GB of mp3 books in (NTFS) HD partition, transfer ~4 GB of those mp3 books into /root/mp3_books, then shut down. If I understand correctly how ms Puppy works, the ~4 GB of mp3s should be saved to the DVD, filling it up so that the next time I boot and then try to save ~1GB of mp3 books, it will tell me I need to make a new disk.

Before I start, is there any reason this can't work? Will 512 MB be enough RAM to do the whole 4 GB in one go, or will I have to transfer it to the DVD in bites <450 MB or so?

Ted Dog

/root/ = 1/2 of RAM + some swap

#18 Post by Ted Dog »

in my experience you will get an out of memory error less than 200M. for some reason half the RAM is not used. try the df command in a terminal window find the amount free in /usr.

growisofs -M /dev/dvd -D -J -R /your mp3 books directory

will fill up the DVD directly from hard drive thereby not using RAM.

it works safely in my experience.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Testing 14oct05 multisession: handling of full DVD

#19 Post by Flash »

Ted: thanks, I might have to use that.

Barry,

Here's what I've managed to do so far:
  • 1.) Burn 14oct05 multisession Puppy to a DVD+RW with growisofs as per instructions here.
    2.) Boot the DVD I just burned, and use TkDVD to add 4.3 GB (approx) of mp3 files directly to the DVD as a session. I used TkDVD because there is no easy way to enter the locations of several hundred files in growisofs from the command line. :) TkDVD used the -M and -J options in growisofs (I think)
When I closed TkDVD and shut down the computer, Puppy gave the usual error message,
:-?Volume descriptor mismatch. Did you use same mkisofs options?
after the line: "Copying volume descriptors," but it seemed to have worked okay nevertheless. It rebooted and the mp3 files were there when I mounted the DVD. I added a few hundred MB more of mp3 files, this time dragging them to the /root/Archive folder -- which has mysteriously reappeared -- and when I went to shut down the computer it said I would need to start a new disk. I think I followed the directions correctly. The first step seemed to be to finalize the original disk. Everything seemed to be going well but at the end of that step the computer stuck in a loop, endlessly repeating:
47000372992/47000372992 (100.0%) @0.0x, remaining 0:00
with no apparent activity of the DVD burner.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

(Continued)

Even though the computer stuck after burning the first session of the new DVD, the DVD booted and everything worked, so I went with it. I created a new folder, /root/mp3_books, copied 450 MB of mp3 books to it from the NTFS partition, then rebooted Puppy, saving the session. It took a long time to boot, apparently loading the 450 MB of mp3 books from the DVD back into RAM.

I added another 400 MB of mp3 books to the /root/mp3_books folder and rebooted, saving the session. Again it took a long time to boot, but this time when I mounted the DVD and looked inside I found that the folder from the 2nd session contained 850 MB! Apparently the entire 450 MB saved in the 1st session, plus the 400 MB of the 2nd session, were saved to the second session folder on the DVD. Also, I noticed that the /root/Archive folder disappeared.

The DVD booted, so I added ~400 MB more to mp3_books and rebooted, saving the session. It seemed to save the session ok but failed to boot, finding a lot of bad sectors on the disk. The DVD burner may be failing. It quit working in Windows but seemed to work in Puppy. I plan to try the same experiment again, with a DVD+RW, but with a different burner. Once I'm sure I have the procedure down I'll try it with a DVD+R and a DVD-R, when I can find the time. :)