Reply from jaguarpc.com

Promote Puppy !
BarryK
Puppy Master

Reply from jaguarpc.com

#1 Post by BarryK »

I sent an email to jaguarpc.com, potential host.
This is their reply:
Gald to hear you are interested in Jaguarpc's gigaDeal X5 plan. Below I have answered your initial questions.

1. Yes, we accept PayPal. We do not compensate you for the charges that PayPal sets when you use PayPal.

2. With the GigaDeal X5 you will be given SSH access.

3. Your server will be using mysql 4.0.25-standard.

4. We offer aletianic.com as a free service for you to manage your domain names. If you create a free account at aletianic.com you can transfer and register domains on your own. Yes, Unique IPs are $12 per year, otherwise you will be on a shared IP.

We appreciate your interest and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Brandon
Jaguar Technologies LLC
Brandon misunderstood the first question (which seems odd to me), as
they are the ones who have will be penalised. If we pay, say $96 annual
fee to jaguarpc, PayPal will deduct a processing fee from that and put
a lower amount into jaguarpc's account.

What about the mySQL version? Waka Wiki is currently running on
mySQL version 4.1.7. John Murga has stated that the wiki database
can be converted to run on an older mySQL
-- John, are you certain?
-- I don't want to pay $96 then find out the wiki won't work.

What about the lack of static ip? Is that a problem?

raffy

Shared IP etc

#2 Post by raffy »

Processing charges are expected so JaguarPC must have no problem with it...

Sites sharing an IP address will be affected by actions on the IP, for example, being identified as spam source if the other sites send spam. But policies and close monitoring by the hosting company usually prevent this. The hosting machines themselves are shared, whether having a unique IP or not.

Converting sql data from new to old version can be done with the right tools, or even by hand, if one has already studied the version differences. Bigger memory than 128 MB will be needed for hand editing...

cplater

#3 Post by cplater »

When you pay Jaguar with PayPal or a credit card, there is no surcharge for doing so. I think they were assuming that your inquiry was about payments to you through their merchant payment system.

You might be able install a later version of mySQL in your own user space. I will post a question to technical support and find out if this is possible from those that know instead of marketeers. I'll do this when I get home from work tonight.

That aside, wakawiki says it needs 3.23.23 or higher so it will run with that version. I am not familiar with wakawiki so I don't know what administrative tools are available to export the files. In phpwiki, I can take a snapshot of the wiki and upload it to another installation with a different database if I need to. That avoids the need to move raw database files from one system to the next.

Since you have a domain name, you will get your own IP address for the sending to your domain registrar. This is what I got when I move a domain to Jaguar servers. What I believe they are refering to is if you have no registered domain.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

cplater wrote: You might be able install a later version of mySQL in your own user space.
Certainly hope so.
The Server is for our convenience I hope . . . :wink:

8)
been working on adding sound to the 2 and 6 page using mp3 for the Puppy tribute site (ideal as an ad for Puppy at Linux meets/shows etc where you can let page 2 / 6 running on a computer)

Hopefully there will be web space for me and others to work on this as a team?

Using voice I got a great chipmunk effect . . . oh well . . . keep trying Crusty . . .

at the moment just playing musac . . .

chill!
http://www.zen45800.zen.co.uk/puppy3/index.htm
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

cplater

#5 Post by cplater »

I posted the question to the support forum about installing mySQL 4.1 in users space. Here are the resonses I got: http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12982

The short answer is no unless you have a VPS account which is 4x the cost. You _may_ be able to get them to upgrade to 4.1 as it is a stable release but you'd have to negotiate that.