How to use a Zoom 3095 analog usb hardware modem

mouldy

How to use a Zoom 3095 analog usb hardware modem

#1 Post by mouldy »

Zoom sells these modems about size of a pkg gum and proudly proclaims they work in windows, mac, and linux. Great size for external usb modem for say a laptop. Well few things they forgot to mention. This is indeed a hardware modem and should be directly supported usb connection under the cdc-acm module. Except their identifier on modem goes past second endpoint and cdc-acm doesnt read it. So instead of designing it properly or offering a patch for cdc-acm, they instead offer a tiny linuxant.com driver. This one is free. By way toss the cd that comes with the modem and has version 1.01 of driver and get version 1.03 of dgc modem driver from linuxant site. You have to compile it for specific kernel in your version of linux (linuxant has some precompiled modules for RedHat, Ubuntu, etc, but obviously not one for puppy) and you have to be using a linux kernel newer than 2.6.19 which means Puppy 2.17 or newer. You then need the devx sfs and the kernel-scr sfs for your particular Puppy to compile. And the procps-3.2.7.pup for stuff the dgcconfig needs. Then cd to proper directory in downloaded and untarred driver, then make install which creates the new module. Then run the dgcconfig binary which installs the module (answer yes that you want to keep using the module). It then tells you what /dev/modem is simmed to, but doesnt do any more. You now need to bring up terminal, and "modprobe cdc-acm" then "mknod /dev/ttyACM0 c 166 0" then "rm /dev/modem" then "ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/modem" (all without the quotes of course) Voila, use your favorite dialer with /dev/modem as port and it will dial. I am using it to post this with Puppy 3.01 right now.

This is a royal pain in the ass exercise for a modem sold as working in linux, especially a hardware modem, but it does work. Such a shame Zoom didnt go little further in its efforts so the modem would just immediately be recognized by cdc-acm module and no fuss, no muss.

I would at least post the module I compiled for Puppy 3.01 but not sure if linuxant licensing alllows it. It is a free to use driver though no $20 fees like some of their other drivers. Anybody better than me at reading through all the licensing bs, if it looks like I can post the compiled module say so. I doubt anybody would fuss no matter what, but dont need to cause the forum any trouble. Glad to save a fellow puppy user the hassle of compiling it though the one I compiled would only work with Puppy 3.01 I think. You'll would still need to download the linuxant pkg (its small) so you would have dgcconfig. Could just stick the precompiled module in their included pkg directory of precompiled modules and dgcconfig would find it.

mouldy

#2 Post by mouldy »

Had a request to post the module. This is for 3.01 only. If this creates any problem for the forum, please any moderators feel free to delete it.

EDIT: Extract module to /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/extra

Then run dgcconfig from commandline. Tell it "yes" when it asks if you want to continue to use this module. Sorry for confusion. I am just sleepy and been couple weeks since I played with this. Knew I had played with this method in Ubuntu.
Last edited by mouldy on Sun 23 Mar 2008, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.

mouldy

#3 Post by mouldy »

duplicate

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

Grrr... Above attachment gives error when trying to download and wont let me delete it. Trying again to upload fresh copy.
Attachments
dgcusbdcp.ko.tar.gz
(6.95 KiB) Downloaded 947 times

UncleBaldie

#5 Post by UncleBaldie »

Hi Mouldy,
Yep, I too bought one of these Zoom modems thinking it would work OK.! :(

I had installed the tar pkg from the CD, but of course without devsfs etc it won't build the driver.
So I downloaded your driver, and ran dgcconfig, but after answering 'Yes' to keep the driver it stops with a 'command not found' error.
The output is:

# dgcconfig
Conexant DGC USB modem driver, version 1.01

If you need assistance or more information, please go to:
http://www.linuxant.com/

When reporting a problem for the first time, please send
us the file generated by "dgcconfig --dumpdiag".

Warning: existing driver modules found under:
/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/
Would you like to keep using them? [no] yes
/usr/sbin/dgcconfig: line 1657: sysctl: command not found

Warning: dgc driver not active
#

So how do I actually get to use this modem ?
Sorry if I'm being dense ! :roll:
Any help appreciated....cheers
Phil

mouldy

#6 Post by mouldy »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 81&t=27408

Go to this thread, discussion got separated into two threads.

Sometimes my module you tried will be loaded sometimes it will not. I never figured out why. The sure way is to download the devx and src kernel packages for puppy and do the actual compilation of the module on your computer. Again see link above.

It does work, they just didnt make it easy under linux.

UncleBaldie

#7 Post by UncleBaldie »

Mouldy,

Cheers - thanks for the link.
I'll give the procedure a try when I have a little(?) time free.

Thanks again,

Phil

Wilsonb

#8 Post by Wilsonb »

I think I am trying to do very similar thing as you.
No Zoom but Mobile Stream
Please let me know.
I am still a green to all this and don't know what I'm doing..
Puppy 4 using Palm Treo 700p via USB as modem.
App and simple linux instructions here.
http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

I got this setup working under great Ubuntu without a problem.

Im trying to use it native Puppy build.
When I tried in Puppy and run the ;
pppd /dev/ttyACM0 call ppp-script-evdo-template
result;
Failed to open /dev/ttyACM0: No such device or address

The file is created when I typed;
mknod /dev/ttyACM0 c 166 0

I have cdc-acm.ko loaded.
Puppy hardware-interfaces information
When I look in Hardinfo it recognizes the Treo Modem under USB device as;
product; Treo 755 USB Modem
manufacturer; Mobile Stream
kernel-Module= (none)

But wonder if the module is actually loading / recognizing.. I don't know enough about puppy / linux from here..

When using the connect wizard and select connect via dialup analog mode, it doesn't detect it.
Should it?

Being a different modem should I still use the
procps-3.2.7.pet & dgcmodem103.tar.gz ?
I assume from looking at it dgcmodem file are specific drivers for a different modem.

Am I making any sense?
Any ideas?

Please ... would like to get this working..

John Doe

#9 Post by John Doe »

Wilsonb wrote:pppd /dev/ttyACM0 call ppp-script-evdo-template
result;
Failed to open /dev/ttyACM0: No such device or address
try this:

Code: Select all

pppd /dev/input/ttyACM0 call ppp-script-evdo-template
i think their directions are for a 2.4x kernel and you are using 2.6x

some of us are currently trying to get this going better for everyone.

can you please tell us how it goes.

hopefully by 4.01 we'll have a GUI to just do this for evdo, edge or whatever.

Wilsonb

#10 Post by Wilsonb »

Same thing..
I noticed that also. That it was pointing to a place where it didn't live..
Same thing..

mouldy

#11 Post by mouldy »

Wilsonb wrote: But wonder if the module is actually loading / recognizing.. I don't know enough about puppy / linux from here..

When using the connect wizard and select connect via dialup analog mode, it doesn't detect it.
Should it?

Being a different modem should I still use the
procps-3.2.7.pet & dgcmodem103.tar.gz ?
I assume from looking at it dgcmodem file are specific drivers for a different modem.

Am I making any sense?
Any ideas?

Please ... would like to get this working..
In 3.01 use usbview, it will show all usb devices connected. If you your device is shown, but in red, then it isnt loading the module.

dgcmodem103 is ONLY for the ZOOM 3095 modem this thread is about. The procps dotpet just provides needed file that Puppy doesnt have as default.

If you do search there are threads on using cell phones to connect to internet in Puppy. I even posted one thread with link to another forum where I posted how I used my Boost Mobile i415 phone as modem under Puppy. Its different as you seem to have a small script file and the cdc-ACM module alone provided everything I needed. Then again I dont know, maybe you dont actually need that script???

By way the /dev/ttyACM0 node you created is just that, a node, not a file you open and read. You will need to use a dialer like you would to connect with a dialup modem and you use this node as the port. And from that link you gave, it says the number you use is "#777" without the quotes.

By the way that connect wizard only detects serial modems on serial port. You have to manually edit the /etc/wvdial.conf file to force it to use a non-serial port. I got tired of messing when trying to get my laptop working with my BoostMobile phone and just installed KPPP. For whatever reason it worked when I couldnt get the other dialers to work.