Puppy 3 series bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
alienjeff

#41 Post by alienjeff »

WhoDo wrote:Mentioning your "well-known defiant streak" was only my way of having a gentle "dig" ...
I don't mind digs from you, Warren - gentle or otherwise. As a matter of fact, I rather enjoy them! Keeps one on his toes, so to speak.
Great. My view is ... <snip> much well thought out justification <paste> ... come up with an alternative title for the thread that manages to make that situation clearer and hopefully overcomes the potential problems.
You've convinced me this time. Good stuff per usual, Warren. Please note subject/topic alteration. Thanks for the input, brother. Be well.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

prehistoric

universal installer, "minefield", Xorg modelines

#42 Post by prehistoric »

I just changed the way my test system is installed. While everything works, the way options are presented is bound to confuse newbies. I had a frugal install on a flash drive, and I still have a frugal install there. What has changed is that the system now boots from there instead of from CD. People would report all these configurations as frugal installs:

1) pup_save.2fs or pup_save.3fs (only) on flash drive, boots from CD
2) above, plus sfs files on flash drive, boots from CD
3) bootable installation on flash drive with USBFLASH, syslinux, vmlinuz, initrd.gz and above.

Depending on the space available on the flash drive, each alternative can make sense in some circumstances.

When the installer found the pup_save.2fs file on a mounted drive, it gave me a message talking about a pup_save.3fs file. When it explained the options for solving the problem I didn't see the one I used, reboot with "pfix=ram", so it will ignore the pup_save.2fs file, do a typical frugal install to flash drive, choose "do not save" on shutdown. On reboot the system comes up using the previously created pup_save.2fs file. There is no confusing renaming, and no need to boot another system.

It is very likely more and more people will be using flash drives with preexisting pup_save files. (I'm out of empty flash drives. All are in use testing something.) We need to handle this better.

There is also the minor irritation of being asked about copying sfs files that were just installed. This is mostly harmless, but another source of confusion. ("Did I or did I not install these?")
---------Firefox "minefield"
This beta keeps trying to install the DOM inspector and then discovering it is incompatible, forcing an uninstall and restart. I thought I turned updating off, but it did it again. Anyone else experiencing this?

---------Xorg and modelines
Ages ago, by Puppy standards, I rashly told AJ I could solve his i810 video problem. All my experiments with systems having Xorg 7.2 failed to accept a modeline. This has been my secret weapon for getting video working whenever one Linux system was able to use video, but another was not. Can somebody explain what happened to modelines? I haven't seen anything elsewhere stating that these are no longer allowed, yet it seems Xorg is overriding an explicit modeline which is demonstrably within the range of the video adapter and monitor.

BTW: after years in which scarcely a week went by without a call to do something on a machine using one of the i810 chip sets I have now been two months without finding one I could use to reproduce AJs problem.

prehistoric

WhoDo

#43 Post by WhoDo »

alienjeff wrote:
Great. My view is ... <snip> much well thought out justification <paste> ... come up with an alternative title for the thread that manages to make that situation clearer and hopefully overcomes the potential problems.
You've convinced me this time. Good stuff per usual, Warren. Please note subject/topic alteration. Thanks for the input, brother. Be well.
I've just noticed your response, AJ. Thank you to you, too, for being open to suggestions. It is much appreciated, mate.

Cheers.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

BarryK
Puppy Master

#44 Post by BarryK »

urban soul wrote:I found a little bug in the network wizard in wag-profiles.sh in the function loadProfileData() :
This prevents the AP_MAC variable from beeing stored correctly.

Code: Select all

line 671 should read 
"PROFILE_DATA=`grep -A 11 ... "
instead of
"PROFILE_DATA=`grep -A 10 ... "
Beware that old wag-config files might have entries with too few lines. (e.g. AP_MAC variable missing) These old files can get corrupted by the bugfixed version.

urban

here is a example of a bugfixed version:
Thanks for that. The network wizard in Puppy4 Dingo has some later modifications than the package currently in 3.02alphax.
So, I've applied your fixes to the Dingo package, and posted it here.
You can see the comments at start of wag-profiles.sh that document changes.
Attachments
net_setup-3.98.tar.gz
(28.1 KiB) Downloaded 928 times
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

#45 Post by urban soul »

Will have a look at it till friday.
Urban

prehistoric

3.02 alpha 4 bugs

#46 Post by prehistoric »

@tronkel

Just burned 3.02alpha4.iso and booted with "pfix=ram". Boot message says alpha3.
Setup keyboard, video, networking - no problem.
Change background; conkey background stays same.
Insert flash drive to save setup. Shutdown blanks screen, can't even tell if there is a message about saving.

Personal preference: on a small screen like my laptop I'd prefer to have conkey near the top, with that background. I still prefer galculator to calcoo. I was happy with JWM, (but then any interface has to be better than the O26 keypunch I started computing with.)

Puzzled: the amount of free memory and the memory use displayed by conkey don't add up, alpha 4 appears to have substantially less free than alpha 3. Could it be difference in booting alpha 3 off USB flash and booting alpha 4 off CD?

Substantial changes between last two versions, have to expect some problems. The behavior at shutdown is the only killer I see.

urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

#47 Post by urban soul »

Hi Barry,

I tested net-setup v.398 and everything works fine. I found only one little inconsistency which does not affect any of its functionality (in the extraction of iwlist params).

wag-profiles.sh v3.98:
line 1012:

buildScanWindow()
# ... #

SCANALL=`iwlist ${INTERFACE} scan`
   echo "X"
   #SCAN_LIST=`echo "$SCANALL" | grep 'Cell\|ESSID\|Mode\|Frequency\|Quality\|Encryption\|Channel'`
   #urban: no such param in iwlist: "Quality" 
   #urban: (cleanup only, does NOT affect functionality!) 
   #urban: note: "channel" is in found in the same line as "Frequency"
   #urban: replaced 1 line
   SCAN_LIST=`echo "$SCANALL" | grep 'Cell\|ESSID\|Mode\|Frequency\|Signal\|Encryption'`
line 1128:

getCellParameters()
# ... #

#urban : not used anyway. Commented out 2 lines.
   #CELL_QUALITY=`echo "$SCAN_CELL" | grep "Quality=" | cut -d":" -f2-` 
   #[ ! "$CELL_QUALITY" ] && CELL_QUALITY=`echo "$SCAN_CELL" | grep "Quality" | tr -s ' '`
I tested it with my autoconnect script, which may fit into the usability-concept of puppy: regardless of where you are with you laptop, press a connect button and it will search profiles.conf for usable "titles" and connect you. Press again and radio is turned off.
You can set priority of profiles by re-ordering them in profiles.conf. Version 1.0 coming out soon. If feedback is positive, I make a nice GUI or tray app. Can rework pwireless to use profiles.conf as database also.

greetings,
urban
Attachments
wag-profiles398.tar.gz
optional code cleanup
(9.38 KiB) Downloaded 467 times