Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Dec 2014, 12:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Minor probs Alpha7
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 5 [73 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
nap44

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar 2008, 05:45    Post subject:  

Sorry,
Have duplicated my earlier post. Had a crash whilst uploading. Apologies!
RC
jeffrey

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar 2008, 22:43    Post subject: I vote for a light image viewer as the default action in ROX  

I usually click on images in ROX just to view them. I've added rotate-clockwise, rotate-anticlockwise, and open-directory-for-slideshow extra actions for an image file. Sometimes I want to edit the file, and mtpaint is great for that. My preference would be for the default action to be a fast image viewer that can display an 800x600 image or an original 2560x1620 image at a reasonable size on the screen immediately on opening. mtpaint opens it the high res picture at 100% which is much too big to fit on my screen, so I then have to resize it. I know that's a bit picky, but it would be nice if the image viewer was just that little bit more intuitive than mtpaint.
I'll be quite happy whatever the outcome.
(Having trouble with sound at present using Fedora and wondered if my sound card was broken, so booted Puppy and the sound works fine. What a great distribution this is!)
Jeffrey
FuturePerfect

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar 2008, 23:45    Post subject: Citrus Theme
Subject description: Citrus Theme

I vote fof the Citrus Theme as the default in Dingo. Like the bold statement it makes.
john biles

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 00:47    Post subject:  

Hello Barry K,
I guess the first thing you need to do is sit down and think what image do I want Puppy to have, how do you want user's to see Puppy.
The original Puppy was give a Windows 95-98 look and this is how it was referred to in Reviews of Puppy. Was that your original idea for Puppy or did it just turn out that way.
I know if you look at the forum, one big area Puppy user's modify is the look of Puppy.
Sadly in this world looks count big time in the mind of non tech PC users.
If it looks nice they'll try it. I can not remember how many times I've read about users downloading an older version of Puppy, taking a look at its Looks and then putting the CD on the shelf to collect dust. Later when they've tried a later version and took the time and looked past Puppy's looks they where hooked.

I know when I went searching the Web for themes for TEENpup, I found that there was a good number to choose from.

The question I'd be asking is does a few nice desktop icons and themes really add that much to Puppy. Is it worth having a nicer desktop if the iso has to grow a MB or so.

On the current theme, it bright happy, but is it the image you want. To me the puppy 3 series looks more professional. Why not make the ICEWM the default and make a real statement where Puppy is no longer seen as a Windows 95-98 clone in Reviews, but a beautiful fast version of Linux others will want to copy.

Last edited by john biles on Fri 14 Mar 2008, 03:03; edited 1 time in total
Viking Sailor

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 00:50    Post subject:  

Berry,

Please not the Citrus Theme! Maybe something in a nice blue. A sea scrape perhaps. Very Happy

Thanks,

Paul
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 02:09    Post subject:  

mtpaint v viewer question on Blog
I too need to edit rather than view (viewing I use rox increase the size)
Is there a way in Rox to add and launch an external viewer with a right click? Cool

Ah yes forgot to comment on the Citrus theme. I like it (surprised to be saying that)
For long term usage I am presently using Black-vg.
A simple psychological ploy is to employ the 'brash and bright' citrus theme - I find it energising.
When people find how easy it is to change to a more sedate theme people feel confident they can master and use Puppy . . . Smile

Last edited by Lobster on Fri 14 Mar 2008, 04:25; edited 1 time in total
nap44

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 02:23    Post subject:  

Hi Barry,

The citrus theme hurts my eyes and it's the first thing I change. Agree with Viking Sailor ... Something light blue or in blue tones seems to be the most restful on the eyes. But then again I'm an old fossil and bright lights are scary and dark tones are depressing.

Re Lobster’s blog. To my mind it is more logical to view first (read find) and then edit, rather than the other way round. I’m also pretty sure that if you have a scroll mouse in mtpaint you can use this to enlarge or reduce the image. Can’t check at the moment as I’m back in win again!!!

Cheers,
RC
HairyWill

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 02:32    Post subject:  

Code:
mkdir -p /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/.image_jpeg
ln -s /usr/bin/qiv /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/.image_jpeg/view
won't work in dingo (no qiv, try a different viewer)

repeat as necessary for different mime types and multiple applications for the same type.

this gets you a view entry at the top of the right click file menu for jpegs
it also places a mime-type specific entry at the top of the Open With.. menu

in practice you would probably want to replace this with a script that does something like
Code:
qiv -ft "$@"

You can open the right directory to place the script in by right clicking on a jpeg and choosing file - customise

Sage

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 03:33    Post subject:  

Citrus gives the wrong image - gaudy, cheap and most unpleasant to look at for more than a few seconds. Ironically, the most suave offering yet is the plain grey we saw recently. Has real class.

Whatever happened to Hardinfo? Better than XProc, but is it bigger? smaller? And SystemStats (DSL) beats them both as long as benchmarks aren't needed.
capoverde

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 05:45    Post subject:  

1 - I do like Citrus; however, in order to really raise Puppy's popularity, a thorough lift-up to its looks would probably be needed -- not a simple task! We all react psychologically to graphical/colour impressions far beyond our normal awareness.

2 - Another key point to make Puppy really tops is localization: practically all my friends are bewildered at Puppy's performance and ease-of-use, but they complain it's in English and they're Italians.
An appropriate language-switch "kit" would make Puppy's popularity jump up: presently, to translate everything in every new release a team of three or four translators would be needed.

3 - Printing... One of Linux's worst problems. Of course it's not Puppy's fault: Bill allows the claim "Compatible with Win XY" to appear with his logo on printer boxes (as well as other peripheral's) in change of total unavailability of official drivers for other op. systems, generating the mess we all know.

I discovered only recently that CUPS lets me print a document if it's all on one page: it hangs on the second -- this probably also happened on previous Puppies with CUPS, but I usually have single-page things.

*** How can the developers of Turboprint (a German commercial printing program for Linux) develop perfect, up-to-date printer drivers while the Open Source community, through CUPS, PDQ or what-have-you, never can? Is money really sooo powerful?
A few years ago I tried a demo of Turboprint with Mandrake on my Canon i560 and was amazed: it printed even better than under Win, with the original driver!
But using commercial software in Linux seems fully contradictory to me, so I rejected it (often to my regret).

4 - Too many apps for the same task: this again is typical of Linux, it's the Open Source biodiversity. Not easy to solve, since every program has its pro's and con's. IMHO, Puppy should have a minimum of really good applications and offer more as PETs, DotPups or other distro's compatible packages.

BTW Barry, did you see the thread about rootz?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26218

Seems real cool.
rover

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 06:34    Post subject: dayglow orange ?  

i like it on fishing lures.
if i understand lobster correctly, i have to admit that it is one of the first things i do. change it. but having said that, it has made me learn how to change it, apply any one of thousands of digital pictures that i have taken and use them for a personal background. (like changing wallpaper in windows)
just as puppy has changed my life from just using a computer to learning to interact with one, and sometimes winning, i like it!
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 06:45    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Whatever happened to Hardinfo? Better than XProc, but is it bigger? smaller? And SystemStats (DSL) beats them both as long as benchmarks aren't needed.

What do you mean? Hardinfo is in alpha7.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 07:00    Post subject:  

capoverde wrote:
BTW Barry, did you see the thread about rootz?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26218

Seems real cool.

I just looked at it, very interesting. I posted a comment to the thread.

Sooty2

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 07:10    Post subject:  

I'm one of the few that don't mind the look of the Citrus theme.

To me it does seem to unify the icons and desktop as a "complete" theme,
It does give Puppy a lift in the right direction.
Perhaps if there were an option to select a base colour, it might be better accepted?
Previous releases have been a bit mixed up and clunky looking, which has been a common complaint.

Regards, Sooty2
jcoder24

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar 2008, 08:24    Post subject:  

I vote for a non-citrus theme.
Page 2 of 5 [73 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: