Where is the pup001.zip file (for NTFS)?

Booting, installing, newbie
Cerberus

Where is the pup001.zip file (for NTFS)?

#1 Post by Cerberus »

i am running XP and i need to know where i can download it so i can save while on puppy. I couldn't find ot on the download page so if you could link to it for me it would be greatly appreciated

MU

#2 Post by MU »

you need puppy-1.0.5-mozilla.iso from the Downloadpage.
To burn the iso to a CD, use BurnCDCC from this page: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html

I also made an installer for WindowsXP, so that you don't have to burn a CD:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2525

Someone just reported, he had problems when installing Puppy to harddisk and could not launch XP any more (hal.dll), but I'm not shure if he used my installer or Puppys Grub-Bootloader.

You should try harddisk-installation beside WindowsXP only, if you have a rescue-Disk and know how to use it.

Mark

Cerberus

#3 Post by Cerberus »

i dont have a rescue disc, and this is a family comp so i dont wanna fuck it up

thats why i just want the pup001 file on c drive, that way i can save .pup's and stuff but can still run from ram

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

you need puppy-1.0.5-mozilla.iso from the Downloadpage.
Huh? He only wants the pup001.zip file. He already has puppy. He does not need to boot from XP, He wants to boot from the LiveCD (That's what I do all the time)

You can find it by going to the Puppy ibiblio download site, there you go into the puppy-1.0.1 folder.

Here is a link ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... ppy-1.0.1/

I use a corporate laptop where I cannot install anything (officially). I work on this computer during the day, It has a custom XP image that's the same for the whole company so I really cannot screw it up or repartition or anything.

I guess this is a similar situation, isn't it?

The next advice is not esential. you can work perfectly OK with the pup001 file on c:\

=============
I actually create two pup files.
c:\pup001 --->for the applications and configuration
c:\pupdata --->for my data files, projects, downloads, etc.

To have the pupdata file, just unzip the pup001 file and rename it.

To access it, you just need to mount it:

Code: Select all

mkdir /root/data
mount -o loop    /mnt/home/pupdata    /root/data
The advantages of having both files are

- When I upgrade puppy, I can start over with a clean pup001 file and don't loose my data.
- I can backup my data without backing up the applications.
- I frequently create pup001 files for testing (after renaming the main one). I can still access my data just by mounting the data file.

So, as I said, this works for me.
Last edited by rarsa on Sat 15 Oct 2005, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Ian »

Go here to get the pup001.zip file:

http://mymirrors.homelinux.org/puppy/

MU

#6 Post by MU »

oh sorry, I missunderstood his post. :oops:

Mark

J_Rey

Larger pup001 file

#7 Post by J_Rey »

I don't know if this will be too customized to my computer, but here is an alternate pup001.zip file that is 512 MB (uncompressed) instead of the above 256 MB file. The reason why you would need it is since you are using Chubby Puppy or, also, if you would like to use the OpenOffice.org office suite again in the future.

(edit: removed attachment because of Flash's post) & my ignorance)
Last edited by J_Rey on Sat 22 Oct 2005, 03:14, edited 2 times in total.

Cerberus

#8 Post by Cerberus »

SUCCESS!!!

Its working perfextly, well i dont know if it saves after its done, but ill test that in a minute

Thank You

#9 Post by Guest »

Yup, i have a few other problems but my brother wants on for now

Thanks again

J_Rey

never mind

#10 Post by J_Rey »

Well, after reading up on how Puppy works, I guess it wasn't the size but probably because it was a new pup001 file that it worked better for you. BTW, Chubby Puppy requires either 256 MB RAM or 128 MB with an available Linux swap partition. Future readers see this: Enlarging the pup001 file in XP (NTFS), if needed.

J_Rey

#11 Post by J_Rey »

Also, MU has some different sizes of pup001 available. Also, FYI, the most that a pupxxx file should be is just under 1 GB.

Rickrandom

#12 Post by Rickrandom »

Cerberus,

If, in the near future, you do want a reasonably safe install alongside XP, I used MU's installer, see my post in

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... c&start=16

which worked a treat on my laptop. Of course nothing is guaranteed, so I did back up the important files and I had the XP install disks if it all went horribly wrong, but it didn't for me. Well done to MU.

Now I can easily dual-boot puppy or XP, so "she who must be obeyed", and wouldn't like something different to her usual Windows screen, is happy. I'll will convert her, but only when I've learnt a lot more. All XP sees is a few extra files, and it boots up in blissful ignorance of the Puppy snoozing within.

ilanesh

#13 Post by ilanesh »

Cerberus
I also have windows xp, and i downloadet the pup001.zip file, and saved it on disc C like they said it, c:\pup001
bit then when it comes to where it sais: "Select the Keyboard map:
then it says: azery = azerty
so I try to scroll down and click "OK" but nothing is happen, am stock in there and nothing is working/
How you did it get to work? What means this: select the keyboard map? and what means azerty? Why nothing is moving?
thanks for your help. :(

ilanesh

#14 Post by ilanesh »

sorry I forgot also to tell that I have puppy 1.0.8, pentium (R) 4, CPU 3 Ghz, RAM 480 MB pc, windows xp home edition, SP2, Philips CD rom burner, cd rom read.
thanks again.

MU

#15 Post by MU »

Some keyboards do not work with puppy, especially wireless.
If you have an adaptor, please try that (USB to Ps/2).

I have a logitech cordless Desktop.
As USB it works fine with a different USB-mouse (cable).
With Ps/2 it just works, if the original cordless mouse is attached, too.
But then when X starts, I must unplug the mouse, and attach again so that mouse and keyboard work.

So now I use the keyboard only via USB, plus the other mouse.
If you have adaptors / other mice, try them, or unplug/stick in the cables again.
Mark

ilanesh

#16 Post by ilanesh »

Hi MU,
thanks for your responce, no i have no adaptor, i don`t even know what is is, i have a normal cable connection and only one pc, no need for adaptors etc. but will getting tomorrow laptop second hand win 98, pentium 2, do you think this is working? on laptop?
if not maybe i have to order the cd? and not download and burn, cause lways is something happen who is not ok.
why is puppy made so complicated? how to connect to the internet with puppy i have cable modem outside modem. What means this: select the keyboard map? and what means azerty?
I have wireless mouse and keyboard usb, HP they are both. have nothing else with my win xp pc.
thanks again,
ilanesh.

MU

#17 Post by MU »

Keyboards look different in every country.
The keys under "12345" look like this in Germany:
QWERTZ

Note the "Z", while americans have a "Y" here.
In other countries you have "AZERTY".
So puppy simply lets you choose, what keyboard you have.
If you can not scroll down, your keyboard is not working due to the reasons I described above.
You will need another keyboard then.
An adaptor is a small "thing" that allows you to stick the keyboard into another port of your computer.
That port is round and called "Ps/2". Ps/2 is a old way to connect keyboards, and was standard for many years.
So that might work better with puppy.

Laptop: just try.
On mine, puppy worked great, until the Fan of the Laptop died (it is quite old).

Mark

ilanesh

#18 Post by ilanesh »

Hi Mark,
thank you very much for your kindness and time for my problems.
I understand, now the only thing hwne I don`t have this keyboard they want me to choose? I have the hp wireless keyboard, have no other one, so i think best is really to try it on the laptop when I get him, only i don`t want to mass up windows98.
I will let you know after tried him out. only one more question, when they also want to let me choose a keyboard on the laptop then I don`t no witch one to choose, cause they are build in.
thanks again,
Ilana.

MU

#19 Post by MU »

On the notebook, do not choose USB for the inbuilt Keyboard.

I think inbuilt keyboards are handled as Ps/2 keyboards or detected automatically.

Mark

ilanesh

#20 Post by ilanesh »

Hi Mark,
I have to wait till tuesday afternoon for to get my laptop, so then the technician comes to install everything for me, but only win 98, they here don`t use linux.
so then I will be in touch with yo after I have tried it.
thanks and have a nice day.
Ilana. :)