RealPlayer.pup

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.

RealPlayer.pup

#1 Post by Guest »

Here's a dotpup for Real Player. The url to download it is: http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?c ... Player.pup

I've got one made for Thunderbird too, but couldn't get it uploaded tonight. I should have some more in the near future as well.

This dotpup, and the dotpup for Thunderbird both install into /usr/local

Johnny Reb

#2 Post by Johnny Reb »

Humm, that was me that made the above post, but for some reason it logged me out before I got the post made, which is really strange because I hadn't been logged on for more than 5 minutes.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Thanks Johnny

Downloaded and installed OK
(when you click on your first real meda file make sure you "open with" usr/local/Realplayer/Realplayer)

Look forward to Thunderbird
The Installer (from the Thunderbird people) worked OK but a dotpup would be even more convenient with the dotpup package installer

:) Cheers - good job
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 14 Oct 2005, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Walt H

#4 Post by Walt H »

Does this work any better with embedded video, like that at http://news.bbc.co.uk ? Otherwise, I'm not sure I see the reason for this, since you can download the .bin file from http://www.real.com and install RealPlayer that way. Doing that seemed to work just fine with linked media but not with embedded media.
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

Does this work any better with embedded video, like that at http://news.bbc.co.uk ?
i have been experimenting with mozplugger, which will use mplayer or gxine or will run any application you set it up to use

in particular, i found the reason the news.bbc videos don't play, is because they won't play period ... embedded or not ... what you get is errors like these:

Xlib: extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display ":0.0".
[h264 @ 0x8698600]AVC: Consumed only 8052 bytes instead of 12
[h264 @ 0x8698600]error, NO frame
mplayer: h264.c:1948: mc_dir_part: Assertion `pic->data[0]' failed.

or these:

[h264 @ 0x8698600]AVC: Consumed only 99195 bytes instead of 12
[h264 @ 0x8698600]concealing 2147480362 errors
mplayer: h264.c:2074: hl_motion: Assertion `((sub_mb_type)&0x0040)' failed.

they might (or might not) play with MU's xorg installed

there's a list of some streams that work and some streams that do not work on this Gentoo wiki page

there are probably licensing issues with Realplayer ... in general, i don't think Realplayer, Java, Flash etc etc can be legally distributed without the distributor getting some sort of license ... i have a Java installer program that downloads and installs Java (after the user reads and agrees to the license) ... i think my program should be legal, but i could be wrong

Walt H

#6 Post by Walt H »

GuestToo wrote: i have been experimenting with mozplugger, which will use mplayer or gxine or will run any application you set it up to use

in particular, i found the reason the news.bbc videos don't play, is because they won't play period ... embedded or not ... what you get is errors like these:

[h264 @ 0x8698600]AVC: Consumed only 8052 bytes instead of 12
[h264 @ 0x8698600]error, NO frame
mplayer: h264.c:1948: mc_dir_part: Assertion `pic->data[0]' failed.

or these:

[h264 @ 0x8698600]AVC: Consumed only 99195 bytes instead of 12
[h264 @ 0x8698600]concealing 2147480362 errors
mplayer: h264.c:2074: hl_motion: Assertion `((sub_mb_type)&0x0040)' failed.

they might (or might not) play with MU's xorg installed
But I would have thought they would work with RealPlayer, which installed just fine in Puppy from the RealPlayer10GOLD.bin file download from www.real.com. This did work just fine with Kanotix, and I did get video playback in Puppy but no sound, even though sound worked with other files and CDs.
GuestToo wrote: there are probably licensing issues with Realplayer ... in general, i don't think Realplayer, Java, Flash etc etc can be legally distributed without the distributor getting some sort of license ... i have a Java installer program that downloads and installs Java (after the user reads and agrees to the license) ... i think my program should be legal, but i could be wrong
That's the thing, though. RealPlayer is a free download from Real.com and it includes what should be the necessary codecs.

Although it is a bit messy (I had to download the MediaPlayerConnectivity extension for Firefox), RealPlayer in Kanotix does playback embedded video from BBC and also Associated Press. The same configuration (as far as I know it's the same) does not work in Puppy. I even installed Firefox and still no luck.

I know Kanotix is a bigger distribution than Puppy (600 vs. 60 MB), but I'm wondering if anyone is aware of anything in particular that is missing from Puppy which might cause this problem. I'm stumped :?
Walt

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Puppy runs the BBC

#7 Post by Lobster »

The BBC are a weird lot - hey they produced "Dr Who" and "Life on Earth"

They licensed a special version of Realplayer which probably cost us UK license holders some serious cash (in the UK we have to buy a license to watch the BBC)
The BBC thought it wrong for a public service to carry ads.

They also are making efforts to make EVERY program the BBC
has ever created free on the Internet. I say!

They are kind of the Tux Linux Penguin of broadcasting.

If you contact them - they will provide someone to get Puppy working with the BBC. If not let me know and I will take it up - after all I am one of their sponsors :wink:

Anyway Walt you are in the UK so probably knew all that . . .

. . . can see the News 24 now "Puppy runs the BBC"
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Walt H

Re: Puppy runs the BBC

#8 Post by Walt H »

Lobster wrote:The BBC are a weird lot - hey they produced "Dr Who" and "Life on Earth"

They licensed a special version of Realplayer which probably cost us UK license holders some serious cash (in the UK we have to buy a license to watch the BBC)
Actually, I got it working in Kanotix using the stand-alone RealPlayer with the MediaPlayerConnectivity extension for Firefox. It looks a little messier with more things open, but it does work.
Lobster wrote:If you contact them - they will provide someone to get Puppy working with the BBC. If not let me know and I will take it up - after all I am one of their sponsors :wink:
I'll give that a try. Do you happen to know if there is a specific link for this? Navigating some of the support aspects of the BBC site can be a bit like negotiating a maze. If contacting them doesn't work, I'll get you to lean on 'em a bit :)
Lobster wrote:Anyway Walt you are in the UK so probably knew all that . . .

. . . can see the News 24 now "Puppy runs the BBC"

Actually, I'm not, but I've always been a fan of the BBC's brand of news.
Walt

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

I know Kanotix is a bigger distribution than Puppy (600 vs. 60 MB)
i think this is the difference ... Puppy using Xvesa does not seem to play those stream ... Vector Linux using Xfree86 does play them, using the identical mozplugger plugin ... screenshot

it might work with MU's Xorg installed

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Puppy runs the BBC

#10 Post by Lobster »

Walt H wrote: I'll give that a try. Do you happen to know if there is a specific link for this?
You need to address it to every email you can find (web masters are good)

Address it like so:

For the Attention of the DG* (Private and confidential)

Here is a sample letter:
Dear Sir,

I am a BBC service user and expect more from the BBC. Why oh why is it not possible to view on line video in Puppy Linux (an Australian non-commercial operating system). Who is responsible for this fiasco? I am a fan of the BBC. I hope you can restore my confidence.

Dissapointed Netizen

The DG is the Director General - marking it "Private and confidential" will ensure practically everyone reads it
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Johnny Reb

#11 Post by Johnny Reb »

Lobster wrote:Thanks Johnny

Look forward to Thunderbird
The Installer (from the Thunderbird people) worked OK but a dotpup would be even more convenient with the dotpup package installer

:) Cheers - good job
Your Welcome, and I hope I can get Thunderbird uploaded. I'm on dialup, and having a hell of a time uploading. I've tried uploading it at least 30 to 40 times now. I''m not sure what the problem is...........it don't appear to be a tcp/ip or connection problem because *most* of the time (at least as best as I can tell, and I have gone online, and went straight to uploading & checked how much outgoing traffic I've had when the upload breaks off & it's been between 10Mb & 12Mb each time I've done that) the entire 10Mb gets uploaded. Does anyone know of another site that will allow you to upload files like that yourfilehost.com site? I'll sure try another if someone knows of one.
~ Thomas Paine

Johnny Reb

#12 Post by Johnny Reb »

GuestToo wrote: there are probably licensing issues with Realplayer ... in general, i don't think Realplayer, Java, Flash etc etc can be legally distributed without the distributor getting some sort of license ... i have a Java installer program that downloads and installs Java (after the user reads and agrees to the license) ... i think my program should be legal, but i could be wrong
GuestToo, sorry I meant to reply to this awhile back, but forgot until tonight. Regardless, as far as licensing issues go, I think the info here: https://helixcommunity.org/content/licenses should alleviate any concerns about that.

" There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil. The man who is wrong still retains some respect for truth, if only by accepting the responsibility of choice. But the man in the middle is the knave who blanks out the truth in order to pretend that no choice or values exist, who is willing to sit out the course of any battle, willing to cash in on the blood of the innocent or to crawl on his belly to the guilty, who dispenses justice by condemning both the robber and the robbed to jail, who solves conflicts by ordering the thinker and the fool to meet each other halfway. In any compromise between food and poison, it is only death that can win. In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit. "

~ Ayn Rand
~ Thomas Paine