ALSA configuration for Intel HD Audio

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
tempestuous

#21 Post by tempestuous »

That's "rtl" not "rt1".

jcagle

#22 Post by jcagle »

ok, I changed it from rt1 to rtl. But I still get the error.

tempestuous

#23 Post by tempestuous »

I don't know about Puppy4, but Puppy3 definitely contains the ieee80211_crypt_wep-rtl module.
If you get the "Module not found" error message when trying to load this module in Puppy3, it means that Puppy cannot access the zdrv file, which is the compressed collection of modules.

This is an all-too-common problem, but it doesn't seem to affect most experienced Puppy users, and inexperienced users seem unable to grasp the significance of the fault.

If you have a frugal installation, you should check that the zdrv file can be seen at /mnt/home
Beyond this simple check, I don't know how to solve the problem.

If you have a full HD installation, the zdrv file must be uncompressed into the filesystem. This is somewhat complex, and I don't wish to attempt to explain it here. There are instructions elsewhere on the forum.

jcagle

#24 Post by jcagle »

I'm running from live CD.

Just so you know, I've been a Puppy user for a couple of years now.

ab2qv

ALSA works on v.4 instead off on v.3?

#25 Post by ab2qv »

Now I see I am not alone. I was wondering why ALSA on puppy 3 could not detect and install my Dell GX1's audio. So I have to use puppy 4 on three PCs to use its audio then. Ok, I go to download puppy 4. Lets see. Tks.
/wyn/

jcagle

#26 Post by jcagle »

I'm giving the laptop back to the friend I was borrowing it from, as I have bought my own laptop. I am running Dingo on it now, and everything works fine.

It's an Aspire 3690.

I rock! :D

The laptop has Vista home edition. Despite all the bad things I've heard about Vista, it runs quite well on this laptop, especially with only 502 meg of RAM. I couldn't believe it myself.

Miracles happen!

dvprabhu

#27 Post by dvprabhu »

hello i installed puppy 3.01 to my pen drive.but i am not getting sound.
my codec is alc262.
i tried all the options for the model in the above list.no change.
however i got while booting from cd by making puppy acpi=off. but no such option available for pen drive boot. is there any way to make acpi permanently off?
i got sound in my fedora 8 by adding fujitsu as model parameter.

John Lewis

#28 Post by John Lewis »

To Tempestuous,

Many thanks notes made from for your post I was able to get sound working on Acer Inspire 5315.

I also passed on what I did to help another forum user in the hardware forum. I couldn't for the life of me remember where I'd found this information until I re found it here.

Sorry that I was not able to attribute it to your post at the time. I will correct that omission.

John Lewis

Alex Johnson

#29 Post by Alex Johnson »

I read your thread. It made sense, but left me unable to completely figure it out myself.

# cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
Codec: Realtek ALC662 rev1

So I check the list and see:
ALC662
3stack-dig 3-stack (2-channel) with SPDIF
3stack-6ch 3-stack (6-channel)
3stack-6ch-dig 3-stack (6-channel) with SPDIF
6stack-dig 6-stack with SPDIF
lenovo-101e Lenovo laptop
auto auto-config reading BIOS (default)

I edit /etc/modprobe.conf to add:
options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-6ch-dig

At this point I'm told to reboot or restart the service. I don't want to reboot, that's slow, but nobody mentions how to restart the service. So I just ran:
# alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument

Maybe I am on the right track, so I try all model names, getting the same results. I then remove the line I added and run alsamixer with the original modprobe.conf and it fails with the same invalid argument excuse.

Can you guide me through?

tempestuous

#30 Post by tempestuous »

Restarting ALSA can get complex. I don't want to attempt an explanation.
Just reboot.

kaljo

#31 Post by kaljo »

Hi there,

I've been fighting my soundproblem for about 24h now, getting tired of it.

Tried everything (and more), I was aware of this model issue because I used it before in my other Linux distro (PCLinuxOS) and it works like a charm in that distro.
But NOT in puppy 403 and 404.

When running the livecd Dmesg says model unknown for codec AC883 AND model unknown for codec AC268. When I change the modprobe.conf file model=laptop-eapd (same as I use in PCLinuxOS) and reboot dmesg says model unknown for codec AC268. In other words it recognizes the model for the AC883 codec. The speaker icon appears in the tray, but that's all.
Can't start alsamixer and still no sound!
When changing model to 3stack (for AC268) same story.

Why would it work in PCLinuxOS and not in puppy, I like puppy very much but it would be nicer with sound.

Any other ideas to get the sound working??

alienjeff

#32 Post by alienjeff »

@Kaljo

Have you used the official release of Puppy version 4.00, and if so, does sound work for you with that version?
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

kaljo

#33 Post by kaljo »

I'm gonna give that a trie right now, btw just read something about ALSA broken/fix in the developers blog.

I'm gonna logout Vista (ughh) and trie 4.0 get back to you in a min

kaljo

#34 Post by kaljo »

No difference
Attachments
pict.png
(69.64 KiB) Downloaded 1107 times

kaljo

#35 Post by kaljo »

:D :D :lol: :lol:

I was to quick to give you an answer, I only looked at the output from dmesg and alsamixer.
When I tried playing a google/youtube video the sound was there!

Only lost my wireless, but using XP drivers with ndiswrapper solved the problem.

When upgrading from 400 to 404 the sound is still there with only one big difference: its half as loud (drop from 100% to 50%) as in 400.

Thanks for your superb idea on this one.

Offtopic: most distros have a button to go directly to the Desktop is this also possible in Puppy or should I open a new thread for this one?

dr_apokalypse

Solved For IDT 92HD81B7X

#36 Post by dr_apokalypse »

I use an hp dv5. the strings returned by grep
were not listed by op, so I did some research
and this is what I turned up:

My Info:

Code: Select all

# cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
Codec: IDT 92HD71B7X
Found on a SuSE forum:

http://forums.opensuse.org/pre-release- ... sound.html
I was trying to help a user with this chipset some time back, and I did not know the solution then. Not long after that I was looking at purchasing a laptop, and the HP dv5 series was one laptop I was considering. Now I am very conservative, and I did not like the idea of purchasing a laptop whose sound is not supported, so I read in some places that it uses a IDT 92HD71B7X. So I had to search (again) for a solution for this codec, so I could make an informed decision if I should purchase this laptop ...

Researching, I discovered there was a bug report raised (on ubuntu) on this, and a work around solution found: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/269586

So please, open your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, and add this line as the last line:

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

Then restart your alsa sound driver by typing the following into a gnome-terminal or kde konsole: su -c 'rcalsasound restart' and enter root password when prompted for a password. Then test your sound. A good sound test is to copy and paste the following into a gnome-terminal or kde konsole:

speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav
What to do:
use your favorite text editor to open /etc/modprobe.conf
add the following line to the end:

Code: Select all

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1 
then run the ALSA setup wizard, or otherwise reset ALSA,
you should be good to go, though I only know for sure this
works on hp pavilion Dv5-1004nr. :D

oldbiker

ALSA configuration for Intel HD Audio

#37 Post by oldbiker »

dr_apokalypse Thanks for your post. It gave me some hope for a while.
I followed up a bit on your SUSE forum lead and found out that the person posting the problem had eventually to add the line "options snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4" to the modprobe.conf file.
I also found out that when I added the options statements to modprobe.conf on my machine, and then ran the puppy alsa wizard, the wizard erased the options statements. I put the statements back in and was able to reboot to restart alsa and the options statements were still in modprobe.conf. Testing the result, however, did not provide any sound.
Also, as could be expected, the IDT company does not provide any LINUX drivers. Meanwhile, back to further searching.

Botanic

#38 Post by Botanic »

I have an Acer computer with realtek soundcard, i tried the advices of 1st post, but it seems my card isn't detected at all
i don't have /proc/asound/card0, but /proc/asound/cards :
--- no soundcards ---
But, i have sound on other Linux distributions (and on Vi$ta)
Puppy 2.16 on HP Vectra VL400 - PIII 800 MHz - 320M RAM
Wary on Acer Aspire X3200 - Phenom X4 - 2.2GHz - 4G RAM

batteryfast

battery with much more running time

#39 Post by batteryfast »

I have this typ of dell laptop. However My battery was demaged by my wife when she clear the house. I want to buy new from laptop battery. Is any other cheap online shop?

i386

#40 Post by i386 »

Hello, I can confirm Solxyz suggestion that if you have a Realtek ALC268 you need to quote the model number as "acer". I now have sound!

Thanks
solxyz wrote:If you happen to be using a Realtek ALC268, you should use "acer" as your model.