Puppy Linux Foundation Committees blog now open for business

News, happenings
J_Rey

Puppy Linux Foundation Committees blog now open for business

#1 Post by J_Rey »

The Puppy Linux Foundation Committees weblog (AKA blog) exists to help keep those interested in what

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

I have registered.

raffy

Rarsa's, a Good Example

#3 Post by raffy »

A good example is Rarsa's recent post in the Forum:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2956

This will be most appropriate in that blog.

As to committees, the list is still there in the Wiki.

J_Rey

#4 Post by J_Rey »

The Foundation blog is now being revived for use now that we have a new web host and are about to have a Foundation Party this weekend. Many things are happening. Let us all communicate with each other more. We can use the blog to submit suggestions/proposals/news for review by the Foundation (trusted volunteers & Barry currently) and post comments on each.

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

Although what people do with their own time is non of my business I would still want to raise this question:

Why do we want to fragment the information in multiple locations?

Why having distribution lists and blogs and forum and wiki and static web pages with the same (or similar) kind of information?

I barely have time to look at the forum and news. If the information keeps spreading in many more repositories I am sure that my ability to comunicate and participate will be higly impaired.

I would suggest just having:
- The wiki, for content.
- The forum for discussions, projects, questions, etc.

Besides
I don't like the concept of 'senior developers' or any other stratification. I know that in certain cultures it is natural to think on those terms, but I think that in an open source project there is a natural stratification based on the quality and relevance of the contributions.

I am way past the boys house club. I prefer a community where everybody is welcome to contribute. The easier we make it for other people to contribute the better puppy will get.

raffy

Link

#6 Post by raffy »

Thanks, Rarsa. I have linked your comment to this discussion.

J_Rey

#7 Post by J_Rey »

Hmm....

Well, I had some of the same thoughts as rarsa earlier, but I guess the main reason why I thought the blog would be useful is that it would be a central location/index for Foundation related topics (e.g. discussions about managing the community and content that surrounds and is Puppy Linux). Raffy initiated it, FYI. I suppose if we stick to only a wiki and forum that might work, but they would need better organization than we have currently. BTW, I categorized about half of the wiki pages the other day.... :roll: Gotta think it over more but you brought up a good point. I just realized that registering one's info (i.e. for logging in) at five different locations wouldn't be that great an idea....

raffy

Venue for Committees

#8 Post by raffy »

Just dropped by to add facts (no opinion intended :) ) :

At the time (that J_rey opened this thread), usergroups were being discussed but there was none tried yet, and I thought a documentation site for the Foundation moderated by the Secretary would be useful.

Now we have one usergroup running - PLDP. And we have puppylinux.org where we are trying to sort out things and bringing into the fold various info...

Cheers!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

rarsa wrote:
I would suggest just having:
- The wiki, for content.
- The forum for discussions, projects, questions, etc.
The content exists primarily in these two places.
I would suggest adding all of Barrys pupweb (was goosee) into the wiki and editing there. Everything else is just indexing and reordering. Well the wiki can be reordered and placed into other formats.

The wiki already works - could it be made to work better? Sure There is a task for everyone. I would also suggest adding relevant information to the wiki from the forum.

Seniority in Puppy is based on a meritocracy. Barry is at the top as creator and major developer. GuestToo is a senior contributer because of his enormous input with Dotpups and other contributions. Raffy is chairman of the Foundation because he suggested its formation.
CMS is coming together because Puppian and others are creating it and so on . . .

Yes diversity. Yes focus.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D