Which USB drive is best for Puppy installs?

Using applications, configuring, problems
moXXXXXX

Which USB drive is best for Puppy installs?

#1 Post by moXXXXXX »

Hi,
I am currently in Japan and want to set up a USB drive with Puppy Chubby on it.
It's pretty hard to get info in Japan, that I can understand, on the drives and whether or not they will handle Linux (Puppy) and be bootable etc.
What I am considering doing is just buying a Buffalo Clip Drive and trying it out. They are not cheap though.
Do you think this will work? Could I assume that 99.9% percent of drives would work and there this popular brand and style should too?
I am also wanting the drive to work on USB1.1 and USB2.0 - so you think I can assume this too (with my .1% chance of error!!!)?
woof woof,

aximum

#2 Post by aximum »

Can't help you with his product, but I can tell you which one i use, and works ok:

moXXXXXX

#3 Post by moXXXXXX »

thanks for that.
:-)

#4 Post by Guest »

By the way, folks, I installed Puppy on a usb dongle using a 1 gig CF card, and it booted a couple of times all right, although it was hanging while finding the hard disk... then continued, but with errors, said "hard disk is not ready" or something.

I could use Puppy, but it didn't recognize the hard disk at all.

Then, after 4-5 successful boots, my BIOS changed itself (strange!!), and now I cannot boot my HP Omnibook 6100 from the USB port AT ALL. Simply the option (which was there before) is GONE. I can't configure the BIOS to boot from the USB port, because that option is simply MISSING.

If anyone would have an idea, why it's so... I am about to flash the BIOS, but that's a risky and time-consuming operation, not to mention I simply don't have a floppy drive, and this operation would require a floppy drive.. so I am desperate.

Don't know what made my BIOS eliminate the boot-from-USB option, but I don't seem to be able to get it back and I am pretty frustrated at the moment...

Thanks for any idea,

Zsolt

Rich

#5 Post by Rich »

I've got a Kingston data traveller USB stick that works fine. I think there's a page in the wiki about which usb hardware is known to work

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Ian »

Kingston Data Traveler & Seitec both 128M.