Dingo alpha7 feedback/bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#81 Post by BarryK »

disciple wrote:I think the standard/original/whatever they are called icon/gtk/JWM themes are best as they offend the fewest people. I don't think there is really a need for more Windows-like themes. But what would make Puppy really easy on the eyes is switching everything to use Helvetica :) I do it on my machine, but for some reason seamonkey just won't obey... in spite of the special line in gtkrc that makes FF and TB obey.
SeaMonkey/Firefox do not follow the default GTK fonts properly. You need to set them separately in ~/.mozilla/*/chrome/*.css
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

disciple

#82 Post by disciple »

You just need this in gtkrc for FF and TB:

#gtk-font-name="Helvetica 10"

Sage

#83 Post by Sage »

Barry writes:
"The fix is simple. Line 1138 in 'puppyinstaller' needs to have 'idehd' and 'satahd' options added to it, as shown:

scsihd|atahd|idehd|satahd) #internal media, boot with boot-disk or grub. #v3.98 "
- actually the |idehd was already present, just the |satahd missing. But I'm not using any SATA drives?? Another new nomenclature C.U.?

Now you have me confused - I'm just a simple user! I can edit the file - no problem. I can press 'Save' , but where is it 'saved' ? Obviously not to CD, so is it saved to the memory-resident system in use? or must it be saved back to a second CD? Assuming the former, running the Installer still doesn't work.
So must I prepare a new CD? Normally I rely on your full version releases. That's the problem when developers tangle with the great unwashed - we don't necessarily have sufficient knowledge to interpret your intentions. Not unwilling to assist but don't have the equipment upstairs.

zygo

#84 Post by zygo »

Thanks Barry the pupdial fix for wvdial works fine. :D

xnetload is 15kB would you please include it. It shows how long I've been connected and how wastefull I've been of that connection :shock: .

disciple

#85 Post by disciple »

Xine still crashes.
Chmsee open dialogue still freezes (but who really cares)
I still need to run the alsa setup wizard after every boot (but I don't need to kill the tray volume applet, as HW sent me an improved one :) )
Upgrade from Dingo 6 seems to work fine.
It would be nice to have the browser command set in Sypheed.
I can't read asapm with that blackish background :) but I suspect there is no point in it on a desktop pc anyway.
The trashcan sounds are not working (for me anyway), and it is not changing to an empty icon when you delete or restore the last trashed item. But I am in the middle of working on the trashcan again anyway (I discovered someone over at ROX had continued developing it, so I'm going to backport their features and merge with the changes I made), so you might not want to bother looking at this at the moment. I hope I'll find the time to finish off what I'm doing some time next week.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#86 Post by BarryK »

Sage wrote:Barry writes:
"The fix is simple. Line 1138 in 'puppyinstaller' needs to have 'idehd' and 'satahd' options added to it, as shown:

scsihd|atahd|idehd|satahd) #internal media, boot with boot-disk or grub. #v3.98 "
- actually the |idehd was already present, just the |satahd missing. But I'm not using any SATA drives?? Another new nomenclature C.U.?

Now you have me confused - I'm just a simple user! I can edit the file - no problem. I can press 'Save' , but where is it 'saved' ? Obviously not to CD, so is it saved to the memory-resident system in use? or must it be saved back to a second CD? Assuming the former, running the Installer still doesn't work.
So must I prepare a new CD? Normally I rely on your full version releases. That's the problem when developers tangle with the great unwashed - we don't necessarily have sufficient knowledge to interpret your intentions. Not unwilling to assist but don't have the equipment upstairs.
Hmmm, 'idehd' is not there beforehand! I don't know how you have done it, but somehow you must have an older 'puppyinstaller' script.

At the beginning of 'puppyinstaller' are these comments:
#v3.94 BK dec 2007: no longer any hd* drives.
#v3.95 BK jan 2008: handle Classmate laptop.
#v3.96 BK jan 2008: improvements for full hd install, warning about drive nums.
#v3.97 BK jan 2008: jump to puppyinstaller_old for kernels supporting hd*. --REMOVED.
#v3.97 BK feb 2008: fully support /dev/hd* notation for ide drives.
#v3.97 BK feb 2008: fix mbr recognition error in flash pen drive.
#v3.97 BK feb 2008: new ComboFormat installation for Flash drives.

If you don't have the comments for v3.97 then you are not using the 'puppyinstaller' that came with alpha7.

Are you actually running alpha7?
Did you mess around with the 'puppyinstaller' script before updating your pup_save file to alpha7? -- Puppy ensures that the last-modified file is "on top"

There is a lot of complication being created here, including in your questions, when actually the situation is very simple.

1. Boot alhpa7 CD, use 'puppy pfix=ram' to avoid any pup_save file.
2. Open /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller in a text editor.
3. Make the change on line 1138, then select File -> Save.
4.Run puppyinstaller: menu Setup -> Puppy universal installer.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#87 Post by BarryK »

disciple wrote:Xine still crashes.

I still need to run the alsa setup wizard after every boot (but I don't need to kill the tray volume applet, as HW sent me an improved one :) )

I can't read asapm with that blackish background :) but I suspect there is no point in it on a desktop pc anyway.
You mean Gxine, which is in alpha7. Gxine works for me. Are you running Xvesa? Can you tell me what operations specifically cause the crash?

What improved volume applet is that?

Kirk's battery applet should only display in the tray if you are running on a laptop.
I've got it running right now, and I can see the green images and text fairly clearly on the black background.

HairyWill

#88 Post by HairyWill »

BarryK wrote:What improved volume applet is that?
still working on it. I have a couple of things I want to tweak then I send it to you. The crucial aspect from disciple's perspective is that it is no longer hanging on to the mixer unless you click on it.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

kirk

#89 Post by kirk »

/root/ghttpd doesn't contain a binary. Ghttpd has some problems anyway.

I you have the space for it, I've attached GuestToo's Monkey web server Rox app. I replaced the binary with the latest version of Monkey web server (0.92) compiled in Dingo Alpha7.
Attachments
Monkey-0.9.2.tar.gz
(61.74 KiB) Downloaded 473 times

Sage

#90 Post by Sage »

Barry, I'll spare you the re-quotes. You are, of course, correct, I should have reported that line 1138 reads <scsihd|atahd) ....... Apologies.

Apart from that, your recipe is exactly what I did. So I changed the HD, cleared it with a debug script, re-partitioned and formatted it and this time Dingo-a7 seems to have installed OK. I suspect that the previous failed attempt , before you provided the fix, had left some bad install fragments on the previous disc?

I hadn't understood that edited files take effect immediately when working in pfix=ram without needing to run them. They do. I had also saved a copy of the edited file on another partition as well as the .sfs file, creating the proverbial dog's dinner.

Just one new problem with GRUB, now! It appeared to install OK at first ask. However, I got

"Boot failure from previous device..
Searching for Boot Record from SCSI..Not Found

Boot Failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key when ready "

I tried to reinstall GRUB from another liveCD boot up with pfix=ram. It seemed to go OK (into MBR), but I got the same fault message.
I reset MBR with a DOS boot and the fdisk/mbr command and reinstalled GRUB again from a pfix=ram boot up. No GO - I got a FDD search and the same message back???
I used a 3.01 liveCD to reinstall GRUB again with the same result.
I'll wipe the HD again, try some more HDs, cludges and any suggestions offered.

Many thanks.

Update: Success at last. I double cleaned another HD. I got the 'floppy needed' bug with GParted, of course, but created a single ext2 partition, edited puppyinstaller and b-i-n-g-o! I've noticed before that multiple partitions can cause installation issues, even when they appear to be empty (including of 'hidden' files). So it's a good idea to do any repartitioning AFTER installation.

Any road up, thanks for your perseverance with me, Barry!

More good news. Xine starts up and actually plays wwoz jazz direct from the Quarter straight from a web URL

GrumpyWolfe

Gxset

#91 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

Hi Berry

I have been trying to find out why the gxset will not save our use my settings. When I ran it in term window I was able to find out why, I can save my setting but when I hit the apply button it exits with a segmentation fault. I hope it is not my system or that it can be fix. If there is any thing else that I can do to help let me know.

BTW Puppylinux 4.0 is greet thanks and keep up the good work.
Live and Let Live

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/mywolfe/]MyWolfe at Sourceforge[/url]
[url=http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/]MyWolfe Blog[/url]
[url=http://groups.google.com/group/mywolfe-linux]MyWolfe Groups[/url]

rerwin

Modem selection controls deficient - SOLVED

#92 Post by rerwin »

While working on my previous fix for modem detection, I found commentary on dealing with multiple modems in a PC -- a built-in versus an add-on. Other scenarios include a USB and/or serial modem connected to a PC with a PCI modem. Or even multiple kinds of PCI linmodems.

I have implemented a remedy that maintains a small table that the user or pupdial could change, to ignore use of the unwanted modem(s). In addition, a USB modem takes priority over PCI modems.

The changes are to /etc.rc.d/rc.local0 and rc.modem (including previous fix). However, I discovered the need to correct the condition "[ -e /dev/modem ]" in the service scripts to "[ -h /dev/modem ]". Here is why:
The SmartLink service (zzslmodem) links /dev/modem to /dev/ttySL0, which is itself a link to /dev/pts/0. Under the "sh" shell, the -e option does not consider a link to be a file (contrary to under the command prompt); the -h option always detects /dev/modem as a link to anything. This is appropriate because the scripts are testing merely for the presence of /dev/modem, which is always a link.

In my attachment I include 3 service scripts, but here are the changes needed for all of those scripts:

Code: Select all

ess - line 7:   [ -h /dev/modem ] && exit   #v3.98
intel536ep - line 7:   [ -h /dev/modem ] && exit   #v3.98
intel537ep - line 7:   [ -h /dev/modem ] && exit   #v3.98
ltmodem - line 7:   [ -h /dev/modem ] && exit   #v3.98
pctel - line 7:   [ -h /dev/modem ] && exit   #v3.98

cdcacm - line 8:   [ -h /dev/modem ] && exit   #v3.98
pl2303 - line 8:   [ -h /dev/modem ] && exit   #v3.98

zzslmodem - line 11:   [ -h /dev/modem ] && exit   #v3.98
            line 28:  if [ "`echo $0 | sed -e 's%/etc/init.d/%%'`" = "zzslmodem" ] && [ "`lsmod | grep '^slamr '`" != "" ];then  #v3.98 - skip if for USB version of modem.

mwaved - line 324:       if [ ! -h /dev/modem ]; then   #v3.98
A change that would give pl2303-type USB modems priority would be to change its name to "aapl2303" so it runs first. (The code changes zzslmodem to aaslmodeusb if a SmartLink USB modem is plugged in at bootup, so it runs first, too.)

I am uploading rc.local0 and rc.modem to go into /etc/rc.d. The service scripts belong in zdrv.sfs, currently in /etc/init.d, but wherever Barry is moving them for the beta.

I have tested and refined this over several days with several modems. It seems solid. I hope this can go into the beta, if it's not too late.
Richard

UPDATE 3/17: To summarize my request for service script changes:
1. Change all "-e /dev/modem" occurrences to "-h /dev/modem".
2. In zzslmodem, also add a test (line 28) for the name by which it is invoked, verifying it is just "slmodem" for the PCI version, and change the file name to match. I assume that the only reason for the "zz" is to work around the -e/-h problem triggered by the SL modems. Remove the "zz" in the name test and in the rc.local0 logic.
3. Since pl2303 is for USB modems (exclusively?), change its name to aapl2303 to give it priority. Do this AA-thing for any other USB modem types that I have not discovered.
4. Move the logic that determines the slmodem name to be used, if a USB version is present, out of rc.local0 and into wherever it is that the modem scripts are copied from zdrv.sfs.
5. Also move the logic for non-self-identifying (Thinkpad) Lucent modems out of rc.local0 to wherever it is that the modem scripts are copied from zdrv.sfs.
Thanks, Barry.

I would like to make the requested updates, but I do not know what file to change or where I could find it. I might then be able to verify them. Would someone point me to the modem detection script?

BTW: The file that controls modem selection is /etc/modemoverrides. It will contain commented (#) "ignore" statements that can be uncommented to skip selection of particular serial-modem ports or linmodem types (that have already been detected).
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 17 Mar 2008, 16:11, edited 4 times in total.

rerwin

Modem selection controls deficient - SOLVED - Attachment

#93 Post by rerwin »

Here is the attachment that would not go with my original post immediately above.

UPDATE 3/18: I re-uploaded the modem-control attachment with corrections to rc.local and a minor change to rc.modem. Whoever uses non-self-identifying laptop modems or SmartLink modems should replace those files from the attachment, for testing. Barry, please be sure that this version goes to the release, if you plan to use the fix. Thanks.
Richard
Attachments
rc.local0+rc.modem_for_3.98.tar.gz
Modem-control implementation and well-behaved modem selection.
The &quot;rc&quot;s go to /etc/rc.d, the others to /etc/init.d, ultimately into the zdrv.sfs squashfile.
(12.58 KiB) Downloaded 876 times
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 18 Mar 2008, 21:46, edited 8 times in total.

floborg

#94 Post by floborg »

Is the copy to RAM memory threshold 256MB? Could it be lowered for this Puppy?

rerwin

neomagic x dri driver "not found"; actually file dri missing

#95 Post by rerwin »

While testing my updated "monitor control" fix, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 549#182549, I checked /tmp/bootsysinit.log for error messages. With my Thinkpad i1720 I see the following:
Running PCMCIA cardmgr program...
cardmgr[10973]: watching 2 sockets
Fetching x dri modules (but not loading)...
FATAL: Module neomagic not found.
However /tmp/Xorg.0.log shows that modules glx ande dri were not found, but that neomagic was found and used.
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module glx
(II) UnloadModule: "glx"
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
(II) UnloadModule: "dri"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "neomagic"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//neomagic_drv.so
(II) Module neomagic: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.3.0, module version = 1.1.1
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.2
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.3.0, module version = 1.2.3
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.7
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input//kbd_drv.so
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.3.0, module version = 1.2.2
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.7
(II) NEOMAGIC: Driver for Neomagic chipsets: neo2070, neo2090, neo2093,
neo2097, neo2160, neo2200, neo2230, neo2360, neo2380
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:05:0
(--) Chipset neo2200 found
(II) resource ranges after xf86ClaimFixedResources() call:
So, what I thought was a failure to find a file that is actually available, is apparently only a problem of the wrong name being placed in the "not found" message. If this is a Puppy error, it would be easy to fix. But if it is an Xorg error, we just have to live with it, or report it. I am attaching those logs and xerrs.log to provide all the evidence.
Richard
Attachments
neomagic-dri_not-found_logs.tar.gz
Logs showing that neomagic driver obtained, despite not-found message, while dri file was last one not found,
just before neomagic.
(5.98 KiB) Downloaded 904 times

purple_ghost

Mozilla download manager initially set to /tmp

#96 Post by purple_ghost »

Which might be a problem when downloads disappear on Newbies, but is a great way to clear up a hung system from a full pup_save.2fs file.

Xine does NOT have the hangs that Gxine has in Puppy 3.01. And looks great. When I asked Xine to run in full screen mode, then Xine disappears. Might be fixable with the controls inside Xine. I did not look at all the internal controls to Xine, so it is probably not very important.

An upgrade of my pup_save.2fs from Puppy 3.01 to Puppy 4 did not go so good. Some of the Icons do not show color differentiation. Like the Speaker Icon on the Task Bar does not show where the mouse can grab onto it, and in fact, seems like I could not. However since my pup_save.2fs file is also an upgrade from Puppy 2.xx, seems like a rebuild would be in order.

Edit: So I created a fresh pup-save file to play with Dingo.

I installed Firefox 2 Dot Pet from the Puppy 4 files. Somewhere I discovered I have Flash for both Mozilla and Firefox. Maybe Flash crept in with Mozilla? I tried to install the Dot Pup for Java from de website. When I try to start program, it disappears.

I tried to download Java version from Slackware 12, which I think is jre-6-u-i386-1.tgz, and is large.

Ha Ha . Before I tried to install it I thought to clean up the space in pup_save by rebooting computer. As Mozilla download manager put the file in /tmp, bye bye download.

I like the quickness of Dingo. Maybe it could be easier to change the back ground to something different.

All in all, Dingo looks to be great.
Google Search of Forum: http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Mozilla download manager initially set to /tmp

#97 Post by BarryK »

purple_ghost wrote:I like the quickness of Dingo. Maybe it could be easier to change the back ground to something different.
Menu -> Desktop -> Wallpaper setter

gerry

#98 Post by gerry »

Does fotox have a print function? If so I can't find it. Or do I have to save the edited image and print it with another app?

Gerry

paulh177

#99 Post by paulh177 »

this is on an acer 5610 laptop with builtin Intel 3945 wireless attaching to an unsecured network (no wep or wpa). also this laptop has a builtin ethernet adaptor. Puppy booted off a cd with a pup_save on hda3 which is a vfat (XP) partition .

Have found that alpha7 doesn't always store wireless networking config between boots even when I "save configuration" -- and it is inconsistent about whether it detects the wireless networking hardware or not too (sometimes will, sometimes won't).

alpha7 sometimes sees the ethernet as eth0 and the wireless as eth1, sometimes the other way about, sometimes only sees the wired adaptor

when it connects it works fine :)

paul

eccentric

ref. your blog

#100 Post by eccentric »

Barry sir,
I would find the ability to use a web cam with Yahoo
I/M most useful, i have not downloaded dingo 4 a7 as i am awaiting the beta.
Michael.