Firefox no longer working

Please post any bugs you have found
drs

Firefox no longer working

#1 Post by drs »

I previously installed firefox without any problems. But the most recent time I shut down, I turned off the computer before the saving of pup_save was complete...I figure this is the cause of my problem.

Now after booting, I can no longer run firefox. Nothing happens when I select from the menu and I get the following msg when clicking on the icon:

Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/firefox/firefox" (No such file or directory)

I wasn't able to reinstall from the package manager (I never et the dialog to select a site to downloadfrom). How do I recover?

steevieb

#2 Post by steevieb »

My Firefox executable is at /usr/local/firefox/firefox
Do you have this folder? Or search for firefox with pfind
What happens if you open rxvt and type firefox
Or it may be easier in the long run if you have a corrupt pup_save file to restart with pfix=ram at boot and make a new pup_save file at shutdown.

drs

#3 Post by drs »

I created a new pupsave file and that did the trick..I was able to reinstall firefox! From now on I'll be backing up my pupsave's periodically. I didn't have much invested in this one, but I can see where it could be a pain to recreate everything.

jonyo

#4 Post by jonyo »

drs wrote:From now on I'll be backing up my pupsave's periodically. I didn't have much invested in this one, but I can see where it could be a pain to recreate everything.
Don't remind me. :cry: :wink: I usually`keep pup save files i've run into probs with; often I find a`solution much later. I've recovered from some browser failures by reinstalling & usually, stuff is still there, or as it was.

Kal

#5 Post by Kal »

jonyo

If you have a corrupt /root/.mozilla/firefox (hidden), when you reinstall firefox, nothing is going to change without first removing that folder. If you just remove that folder, a new one is made the next time you start firefox. This auto repairs the configuration of firefox.

About the only thing that I save is the bookmarks.html file, this is located at root/.mozilla/firefox/XXXXXXXX.default (XXXXXXXX can be any combo of numbers and letters). I replace it after a new folder is made by firefox and overwrite with the old one (normally it is not corrupt).

Good Luck, Kal