How to resize images and icons in mtpaint

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
noip

How to resize images and icons in mtpaint

#1 Post by noip »

Something simple I found out yesterday that may help someone.

I've found it useful to re-size images in Puppy for two purposes - to change the size of desktop icons, and to enlarge background images for desktop wallpaper.

The mechanics of changing the image size is simple. Open "mtpaint" and choose the menu selection "image -> scale canvas".

Wallpaper:

I had some "blackbox" styles that came with background wallpaper. At this stage I've been unable to get the standard commands to stretch the wallpaper to fill the screen, so I opened "mtpaint" and simply changed the scale dimensions.

Icons:

The default icons on the desktop were too large for my liking, so I decided to change them.

The icons for the desktop are contained in "/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps". I simply opened them in "mtpaint" and scaled them down from 48x48 to 24x24 and saved the new icons in a new directory "/root/icons".

To set the new icons for the desktop, right click the desktop icon and you will see a menu selection at the lower right "set icon". Click that selection and an area opens that allows you to drag and drop a new icon image.

GS

ftgs

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

for anyone running fluxbox, fluxbox uses fbsetbg to set the background ... i don't remember if my fluxbox package uses it, i think i included it anyway

Puppy has xv symlinked to xli ... this confuses fbsetbg, it tries to use xv to set the background, and of course it doesn't work properly, because xv is really xli

there is a workaround ... use the -u xli option when running fbsetbg

-f Set fullscreen wallpaper.
-c Set centered wallpaper.
-t Set tiled wallpaper.
-a Set maximized wallpaper

fbsetbg man page

noip

#3 Post by noip »

Yes, and working out how to use "bsetbg" and "xli" is a whole new adventure. Haven't successfully worked that out yet.

GS

ftgs

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Resize screenshots with mtpaint (please!)

#4 Post by Flash »

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that noip's instructions for using "rescale canvas" in mtpaint can be used to resize screenshots before uploading them to the forum. The maximum resolution Puppy will allow me to use is 800 x 600, and most of the screenshots people put in the forum are much bigger than that. I have to use both scroll bars to see the whole thing. I usually don't bother looking at the whole thing because it usually turns out to be eye candy which would have looked better at a lower resolution, because then I could see it all at once.

Rich

#5 Post by Rich »

Good Point Flash.

When posting images ( especially screenshots ) please consider the poverty stricken 56k users here ! :wink:

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

I have to use both scroll bars to see the whole thing.
That's one of my favorites Opera features: when you resize (pressing - or +) it also resizes the images.

Other than that, I agree. People don't need to smallest detail for the whole screen to get your point.

Another vote here for resizing images before uploading them!