Setting the keyboard in Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
loninappleton

Setting the keyboard in Puppy

#1 Post by loninappleton »

Ok, I won't be rude in the subject line, but i want to say,
"WTF?".

Greets :-)

I've not understood how to get the correct keyboard settings for USA.

I just highlighted the default qwerty thingie but my keyboard is virtually unusable.

I did not save any settings to the live cd, but on a reboot, Puppy went to it's main screen and bypassed the mouse, keyboard info.

Did Puppy write something to the CD? Or is it in memory?
I'm confused.

Please tell the correct setting for this.

Note: I saw the Puppy in the current issue of Linux Magazine. That should be a big boost up for you.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Welcome to Puppy!
You should have scrolled down to the setting that says "us qwerty." It's right under uk. To get back to that screen, you need to delete /etc/keymap and reboot. Or you could edit it to say us.map and reboot. (I think)
It didn't save to the cd, it saved to the pup001 file, which is placed on the harddrive during startup. That file is an ext2 image that stores all your settings. If you delete that, it will start over from the very beginning, which is useful if you totally screw it up. :)

Hope that helps.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Rich

#3 Post by Rich »

Pizzasgood wrote:Welcome to Puppy!

It didn't save to the cd, it saved to the pup001 file, which is placed on the harddrive during startup. That file is an ext2 image that stores all your settings. If you delete that, it will start over from the very beginning, which is useful if you totally screw it up. :)
AND it's brilliant if you want to back up your system. Only need a copy of 1 file , rather than the 36 billion that some other OSs use.