Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 18:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy's Website: Discussion
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 10 of 15 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
Author Message
raffy

Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 4779
Location: Manila

PostPosted: Sat 22 Mar 2008, 23:26    Post_subject: new URL  

If we go either host (hostgator, bluehost), we will be given a domain, like

servername.hostname.com/~puppylinux

We develop the site then point the puppylinux.org DNS to it when ready. If WhoDo starts the purchase now, then we'll have achieved something this Easter. Very Happy (You'll be surprised how fast these guys respond to customers.) As to other people contributing funds for the website, please send contributions to Barry's Paypal account.

Re: puppylinux.org - the nasty links are there again - will check how much damage was done. I guess it's an interjection that we really have to move hosting. (Addition: The index file was completely replaced by the crap links - someone must be reading this thread and trying to have some weird fun.)

Yes, our servage hosting includes pupweb.org, so we can still keep using the site even if puppylinux.org is moved to another host.

Addition: I will no longer upgrade the wiki (and risk corrupting parts of it) since its contents will be ported soon to the new site.

_________________
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? Get the sfs (English only).
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
WhoDo


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 4441
Location: Lake Macquarie NSW Australia

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar 2008, 00:36    Post_subject: Re: new URL  

raffy wrote:
If WhoDo starts the purchase now, then we'll have achieved something this Easter. Very Happy (You'll be surprised how fast these guys respond to customers.)

Done, raffy. Details included in a PM to you this afternoon my time. I have told them we will use our own domain name in puppylinux.org and simply re-point our name servers, so we'll see what access they send me.

_________________
Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't!
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
raffy

Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 4779
Location: Manila

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar 2008, 01:03    Post_subject: Thanks  

Thanks, Warren (Whodo). Hostgator.com is puppylinux.org's new home. Very Happy

It will take some time before the actual transfer of puppylinux.org, and Tom, Oli and other editors will now start working on the new site. Tom has the Cpanel details, and I suggest that he PMs a few helpers and they use the temporary URL (and possibly a Drupal forum in it) to coordinate while preparing the new site.

Happy Easter, everyone!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Aitch


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 6825
Location: Chatham, Kent, UK

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar 2008, 08:03    Post_subject:  

Nice work, guys

Onward & upward!

as WhoDo said elsewhere,

Quote:
Easter is a time of new beginnings


Happy Easter, everyone

aitch
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
klu9

Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar 2008, 19:43    Post_subject:  

BarryK wrote:
Note2,
don't forget that the servage account for puppylinux.org is paid-up until about 2013. We have it for a long time, so should keep using it for something.

My suggestion: turn it into a repo for ISOs, SFSs, big dotpups/dotpets, manuals... but NOT an http/ftp repo.

Make it a BitTorrent "seedbox" instead, permanently sharing Puppy files via BitTorrent.

Why?

1. Puppy needs a constant BitTorrent source for files; maybe the Servage account could be it.

2. Servage=Pwnage Laughing

BitTorrent clients automatically hash pieces of a file and fix corruption.

A regular HTTP/FTP repo on Servage might be giving people corrupt files (which might require redownloading 100% of the file all over again after finding out what the problem is and then finding a reliable alternative server to use).

But if the files somehow get corrupted on a Bittorrent seedbox, the downloader's BitTorrent clients will simply ignore/fix the corrupted pieces.

Alternative/Workaround

If a BitTorrent repo/seedbox is not permissible with that Servage account, then maybe there's still a way: metalinks with MD5 / SHA1 hashes included, and Servage URLs among other download URLs.

People don't get to access the Servage repo directly, but only through metalinks that include anti-corruption info, thereby providing a layer protection against future Servage pwnage.

By including several download URLS in the metalink, the download client can always get uncorrupted pieces from those alternative sources.

_________________
- Remember: it's a wiki. You can contribute too! Very Happy
- Puplet creators, see DistributingYourPuplet

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Caneri

Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 1580
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar 2008, 21:08    Post_subject:  

@klu9,

brilliant idea.

Eric

_________________
Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.
Chinese Proverb

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
tombh


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 422
Location: Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar 2008, 13:28    Post_subject:  

Okey Dokey, I've uploaded the proto-site to its new Hostgator home.

I decided to go with Drupal 5.7 as there are some necessary modules that have not yet been ported to version 6. There is no loss of security by doing this as Drupal supports the current version and previous whole number version concurrently. Drupal 7 is planned for release in 2009.

Now we can discuss the ins and outs of style and structure over at the Puppy Website: Looks, Bugs, Wishlists thread. I've made few comments there to get things going...

Time to get down to business then Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
nic2109

Joined: 01 Jan 2007
Posts: 406
Location: Hayslope, near Middlemarch, Midlands, England

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar 2008, 12:56    Post_subject:  

Caneri wrote:
@klu9,

brilliant idea.

Eric

Since it's still Easter in the Christian calendar I'll also say "Amen" to that suggestion.

BitTorrent and/or Metalinks should be the way all our packages are presented. In this way the bandwidth requirements are shared among a much wider population. And we gain from the amazing Torrent paradox that the more popular a download is the more available it is and the quicker it comes (subject to connection speed, of course).

Baseline Puppy and all Puplets need to be set up to seed as well as read so that way anyone who has D/Ld a package or an iso can share it with the rest of us.

I know that some will worry about security and choose to be leeches, but they would need to take explicit "Opt out" action. I hope that the number that take that option would be small. I also recognise that those on dial-up might also want to opt-out. That's fair enough, but as they would benefit from the Torrent approach too some may choose to seed.

_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Aitch


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 6825
Location: Chatham, Kent, UK

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar 2008, 14:44    Post_subject:  

Just in case anyone's wondering

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?highlight=aria2c&t=10159//

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26999&sid=ad3bac840d15ee4fc456777fe99d83f7

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

just for starters


Aitch
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
nic2109

Joined: 01 Jan 2007
Posts: 406
Location: Hayslope, near Middlemarch, Midlands, England

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar 2008, 15:27    Post_subject:  

Caneri wrote:
Hi Warren and all,

Well shiver me timbers and blow me down...thar she blows.(This is for Tom as he lives where the pirates came from..lol..coorrr)

Well done gentlemen.

Best,
Eric
In honour of this welcome development I propose that we all talk (and write) like pirates for a while.

See http://www.talklikeapirate.com/ but let's not wait until September 19th!

_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
SirDuncan


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 836
Location: Ohio, USA

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar 2008, 23:05    Post_subject:  

<pirate>
nic2109 wrote:
BitTorrent and/or Metalinks should be the way all our packages are presented.
(emphasis mine)
Thus preventin' them o' us in locations 'ere P2P connections be restricted (or outright banned in th' case o' me college) from enjoyin' this great distro. I think that metalinks might be a problem as well, since they be pulling from P2P networks, too, if'n I understand correctly.

nic2109 wrote:
Baseline Puppy and all Puplets need to be set up to seed as well as read so that way anyone who has D/Ld a package or an iso can share it with the rest of us.

I know that some will worry about security and choose to be leeches, but they would need to take explicit "Opt out" action. I hope that the number that take that option would be small. I also recognise that those on dial-up might also want to opt-out. That's fair enough, but as they would benefit from the Torrent approach too some may choose to seed.

Gi'en that a large percentage o' Puppy users be on dial-up or otherwise slow uploadin' connections (like Barry on satellite), I think havin' this be th' default behavior be a bad idee. If we be t' go t' a torrent based distribution system, 't would need t' seed only on request (which makes this system work less efficiently) an' nay open a P2P connection without informin' th' user. Otherwise swabbies who dasn't reckon how we be doin' things will get the'r bandwidth exceeded or they will get the'r computer banned from a shared network (like th' one on me campus).

This be nay t' say that distributin' ISOs or other large packages (SFS) through torrents or metalinks be a bad idee. 't jus' needs t' be an alternative an' nay th' only way.

I dasn't think that normal sized packages ortin' ta be distributed on P2P networks, on accoun' o' I think that 't would actually slow things down fer most swabbies an' may cause some swabbies issues. Be havin' ye erenoticed that wee things like songs be nay distributed that way? Bit torrent be very efficient fer large files, but nay wee ones. Thar be also th' technical challenge o' buildin' a torrent based package management system (might be a fun challenge tho).
</pirate>

_________________
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
klu9

Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar 2008, 19:59    Post_subject:  

SirDuncan wrote:
<pirate>
nic2109 wrote:
BitTorrent and/or Metalinks should be the way all our packages are presented.
(emphasis mine)
Thus preventin' them o' us in locations 'ere P2P connections be restricted (or outright banned in th' case o' me college) from enjoyin' this great distro. I think that metalinks might be a problem as well, since they be pulling from P2P networks, too, if'n I understand correctly.

nic2109 wrote:
Baseline Puppy and all Puplets need to be set up to seed as well as read so that way anyone who has D/Ld a package or an iso can share it with the rest of us.

I know that some will worry about security and choose to be leeches, but they would need to take explicit "Opt out" action. I hope that the number that take that option would be small. I also recognise that those on dial-up might also want to opt-out. That's fair enough, but as they would benefit from the Torrent approach too some may choose to seed.

Gi'en that a large percentage o' Puppy users be on dial-up or otherwise slow uploadin' connections (like Barry on satellite), I think havin' this be th' default behavior be a bad idee. If we be t' go t' a torrent based distribution system, 't would need t' seed only on request (which makes this system work less efficiently) an' nay open a P2P connection without informin' th' user. Otherwise swabbies who dasn't reckon how we be doin' things will get the'r bandwidth exceeded or they will get the'r computer banned from a shared network (like th' one on me campus).

This be nay t' say that distributin' ISOs or other large packages (SFS) through torrents or metalinks be a bad idee. 't jus' needs t' be an alternative an' nay th' only way.

I dasn't think that normal sized packages ortin' ta be distributed on P2P networks, on accoun' o' I think that 't would actually slow things down fer most swabbies an' may cause some swabbies issues. Be havin' ye erenoticed that wee things like songs be nay distributed that way? Bit torrent be very efficient fer large files, but nay wee ones. Thar be also th' technical challenge o' buildin' a torrent based package management system (might be a fun challenge tho).
</pirate>

BitTorrent is P2P and is subject to blocking or throttling in some locations. Let me just say that I think it should be a well-supported option of several, not the only possibility.

Metalinks can include P2P URIs, but most clients only support regular HTTP/FTP URLs. (And so far I've only ever created Metalinks containing URLs.)
What might be blocked re metalinks is the P2P traffic/protocol of a p2p-containing metalink used by a p2p-enabled client, but not the HTTP/FTP traffic of the metalink. so a user can still get the file.

PS Please assume all the above was said in a pirate accent Very Happy

_________________
- Remember: it's a wiki. You can contribute too! Very Happy
- Puplet creators, see DistributingYourPuplet

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Aitch


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 6825
Location: Chatham, Kent, UK

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar 2008, 20:17    Post_subject:  

Oooaah me 'arties
mebee kenny's post'll cum use'll arter awl

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?highlight=aria2c&t=10159//

diddle it do do, diddle iddle iddle do
arg-h-5O-tr.gif
 Description   
 Filesize   21.98 KB
 Viewed   571 Time(s)

arg-h-5O-tr.gif

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Caneri

Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 1580
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar 2008, 20:37    Post_subject:  

(Pirate)
arrrr me bucko's and me deadlamp is atwitter..arrrr

thar's a lost sea me hearties..it's the code I see that's a quizzle.

Speak in the tongue of the sea horde and ye shall be heard..arrrr

Best,
Commodore Drake the Black Arse

(English)

My eyes are sore but I see a need to translate from pirate to English,arrrr

Best,
Eric

PS.. @Nick good link this http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

_________________
Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.
Chinese Proverb

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
SirDuncan


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 836
Location: Ohio, USA

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar 2008, 21:20    Post_subject:  

klu9 wrote:
BitTorrent is P2P and is subject to blocking or throttling in some locations.

I suppose that pirate-speak may be hindering communication, but I never meant to insinuate that BitTorrent was not P2P.
klu9 wrote:
Let me just say that I think it should be a well-supported option of several, not the only possibility.

I can agree with that.

klu9 wrote:
Metalinks can include P2P URIs, but most clients only support regular HTTP/FTP URLs. (And so far I've only ever created Metalinks containing URLs.)
What might be blocked re metalinks is the P2P traffic/protocol of a p2p-containing metalink used by a p2p-enabled client, but not the HTTP/FTP traffic of the metalink. so a user can still get the file.

That makes me feel better about metalinks (I honestly don't know much about them).

Oh, right, pirate-talk . . . ummm . . . Yarr!!!!

_________________
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 10 of 15 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1552s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0506s) ][ GZIP on ]