Muppy 008.2 (Feb 01, 2008) outdated

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MU

#61 Post by MU »

Can I just rename it to devx_082?
yes.
It is just a renamed devx_301.sfs.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MU

#62 Post by MU »

PaulBx1 wrote:
Luckily our lawers now have stopped this approach, at least partially.
If they're anything like our government, they are still doing it, but just keeping quiet about it.
Of course.
But there is one advantage:
as long as there are some laws restricting the operations of police and secret service, you are allowed to protect yourself.

For this reason, that was important that now there was a decision strengthening private interests.
Without such laws, it easily could become illegal to use encryption utilities and such.

We now can incorporate such tools in Muppy without conflicts with the law, what is important as we target the german market.
If it would be a pure english system hosted on some canadian servers, we would not have to be so concerned about this.
At moment it is already critical that I host Doom and Quake, it is forbidden to propagate them to the public here in germany because of the violent content.
Fortunatly I had no trouble yet concerning my decision, to disregard this law.
But I might be forced in future to remove them from dotpups.de.
This will depend on the public political hysteria when there is another case of amok in a school.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MU

#63 Post by MU »

Here is a small update for Muppy008.2 (all versions).

It is for people using a frugal installation.
Replace initrd.gz with this one.

GERMAN:
http://puppyfiles.ca/puppyisos/isos/Mup ... pdates/DE/

ENGLISH:
http://puppyfiles.ca/puppyisos/isos/Mup ... pdates/EN/

I removed the part, that mounts /tmp on tmpfs.

So temporary files will be stored in msy_save.2fs, and not in Ram.
This fixes some issues:

1.) Ram is limited, and so you easily ran out of temporary space.
2.) It seems, the tmpfs slowly was sucking up your free space.
I experienced sometimes, that in the beginning the freememapplet displayed 240 MB free space.
After some hours (2 days), this decreased to 0 MB, causing trouble.
I then checked with df -m, that /initrd/pup_rw was full.
I cross-checked with du -m /initrd/pup_rw , that the files in that folder did NOT increase.
In theory, this is impossible.
I think this was an issue caused by the tmpfs setup, and hope it is solved now.
At least at first impression, the free space seems to stay fixed, but this must be verified over a longer period.

Mark

PaulBx1

#64 Post by PaulBx1 »

Mark, for your information I was able to compile the latest GPG (1.4.8) using the regular configure, make, make install commands. I didn't see any errors and I did use it to open an encrypted file and it worked fine with that. So it is no big deal for gpg...

For enigmail, someone informed me this is just a simple add-on for Seamonkey or Thunderbird. So with that and gpg you could get encrypted emails in muppy pretty easily. (I have not tried the enigmail addon yet).

Just thought you'd like to know...

Diamond

#65 Post by Diamond »

Thanx for a great distro... I had some problems with booting,actually one times was grub error,and a few times puppy couldn't find my .sfs file,and one time there was an error so I had to format whole partition.

is there a chance to save .sfs file,for some sort of backup,and to restore it succesfuly ?

once I have to re-install muppy becouse goggles did not working any more.

Hope final relase will be out soon!

Any chance of Audacious as default audio player in muppy ?

MU

#66 Post by MU »

you usually can copy msy_save.2fs even when it is mounted.
Just copy it to a different partition or USB-stick.

You just should type in a console first:
sync

This will write all buffers to msy_save.2fs.

I do however recommend more:
Create in the same folder a file:
msy_save-DUMMY.2fs

That can be an empty textfile, or type:
cd /mnt/home
touch msy_save-DUMMY.2fs

Now when you reboot, you get a menu to choose from:
0: boot to RAM
1: msy_save.2fs
2: msy_save-DUMMY.2fs

Here you choose "0: boot to RAM".
Now you can copy msy_save.2fs without that it is mounted, this is "cleaner".

Concerning your Grub-problems I have no idea, maybe your harddisk just had errors?
Hope final relase will be out soon!
There never will be a "final", because Linux develops too fast.
So there always will be things to add or modify.
But I currently test 008.3, the menu now is lightning fast (I developed my own one now), and you'll have Abiword 2.4.6, gnumeric 1.8.2, Seamonkey 118 with Orbit-theme (that was tricky to install).
I also revert flash back to 0.9.048, as it runs more stable, I recently had crashes with newer versions.
Expect the release in 2 weeks :)

There also will be a french version, I currently am in contact with "gw" who provides translations.

Audacious is huge, so it might go to the addons.sfs, not to the mini itself.
I will try to add it.

Mark
Last edited by MU on Sun 16 Mar 2008, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

gw

Muppy in french

#67 Post by gw »

Hello,

Pour ceux qui s'intéressent à la Muppy, j'ai posté un fichier Muppy-FR1603.pet
pour sa traduction en français. Pour l'essayer en évitant de modifier votre
fichier de sauvegarde actuel :
- Démarrez votre Muppy avec l'option de boot puppy pfix=ram
- Téléchargez, puis installez le paquet Muppy-FR1603.pet
- Redémarrez le serveur X après l'installation du paquet (important)
- Sauvegardez votre nouvelle session sous un nouveau nom, p.ex msy_save-FR.2fs

En utilisant votre nouveau fichier de sauvegarde au prochain boot, vous pourrez tester
en toute sécurité votre version francisée.

Remarques :
- Pour franciser Seamonkey, téléchargez le langage pack pour le français
depuis le site de Seamonkey et installez-le.
- le paquet de localisation Muppy-FR1603 se trouve à l'adresse suivante :
http://www.softenpoche.com/sep/Muppy-FR1603.pet
- La localisation n'est pas complète à 100%, il s'agit d'une premier essai.
Je compte faire évoluer le paquet lors de la sortie de la Muppy 8.3
- Merci à Mark Ulrich pour ses suggestions qui m'ont bien aidées pour réaliser ce travail.

A+
--
gw

jonyo

Conky's not happy & a few things..

#68 Post by jonyo »

How to fix (worked good with the original desktop)? Icedock a-ok.

3.01 standard live cd save file to HD, xvesa 1024x768x24 for now cos xorg crashed a few times when setting up wifi with the native rt2570 driver that works now with a linksys wusb54g v4 usb adapter setup wep64 hex.

Can conky and icedock be moved to other spots on the desktop?

I pressed the 'reload desktop' button & ended up with a neat green Ez whodo desktop ..but how do I get the original one back?

Mobo is asus p4p800-vm 1 gig ram with a cheapo nvidia 4x series agp card that muppy picked up on automatically on first boot up & asks if I'd like to install drivers :) which I did & seems ok.

Tried out pburn (said all ok) & ended up with 2 coasters (wouldn't boot) of magic parted that burned fine in win with burncdcc. Tried out tkdvd but some error on setup.
Attachments
conky's.jpg
(72.58 KiB) Downloaded 1306 times
Last edited by jonyo on Mon 17 Mar 2008, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

MU

#69 Post by MU »

To get the desktop-icons back:
copy
/initrd/pup_ro2/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
to:
/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

Maybe also:
/initrd/pup_ro2/root/.xinitrc
to:
/root/.xinitrc

Icedock:
edit the file:
/root/.icedockrc
placement=BottomRight
You could try:
Right
Bottom
Left
or similar values.

Conky:
edit the file:
/root/.conkyrc
alignment bottom_right
You can "fine-tune" the position from the screenborders by modifying the values:
gap_x 50
gap_x 100
Does that fix your issues?
Or is more tuning required?

You also should set the backgroundpicture with "Desktop - Background" (Puppys Backgroundsetter). That should fix the grey background for Conky I see on your screenshot.

Mark

jonyo

#70 Post by jonyo »

That was a crop shot, looks more like this.

accessdenied

#71 Post by accessdenied »

MU,
Would it be possible to add Thunar as an additional file manager in the next release of muppy8.3?

Regards.

MU

#72 Post by MU »

No, not in 008.3.
I could have a look for 008.4.
The default filemanager in 008.3 will be PCManFM replacing Rox-filer.
I run out of time updating existing packages and fixing stuff.
Saturday the floor above mine was burning, so my sleep was interrupted by the fire-brigade.
Today I could work not as many hours as usual, as I had nasty headaches.

Today I however started adding a dialog to the MIME-Editor to create new MIME-Types.
It works perfect together with PCManFM, and offers good compatibility for other environments like Gnome/KDE.

So I will concentrate on this combo to get a consistent low-resource desktop-environment.
It works stable and good so far, and also has a Tree or bookmark-view.

Maybe the thunar-dotpup works, as Muppy should have all required libs, at least using the standard-iso or the addon for the mini.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9606

Mark

Sage

#73 Post by Sage »

It may well be a bit late, Mark, but I really would strongly suggest taking a look at Xfce (&Thunar) for your magnum opus. Recently derivatives like Happy and wNOP are just so much faster, smaller (relatively), cleaner and more intuitive. Xfce is well liked; I cannot find a detractor unlike all other desktops.

Incidentally, I'm sure you know your own local business opportunities, but it's going to be the English versions of your packages that makes you a sustainable profit, if there is one in these difficult economic circumstances. Do the English one first - you're utterly capable of handling your own locale in parallel! Maybe it's the CeBit German-only release of new Knoppix that is the only mistake that Klaus makes in his otherwise very successful business empire?

La Parca

swap file and network bridge "help"

#74 Post by La Parca »

well I'm trying linux once again (second time, first time video probs now fixed) and figured I'd ask for help here. I liked this distro because of its features and resemblance to xp. first off I use a multisession dvd and am trying to get it to use a swap partition or file, and need info on how to bridge my two nics. well I tried partitioning and formatting a 2 gig swap space as a linux-swap in gparted but after it says it's successfully done it rescans and doesn't recognize the partition but muppy does but can't use it just says something like sorry can't use or something. I tried using rxvt and typing mkswap /dev/hdb2 and it goes through but then typing swapon /dev/hdb2 gives invalid argument., any help would be greatly appreciated. ive also tried making the partition with cfdisk to same results.

La Parca

#75 Post by La Parca »

well I think I figured out my prob.... seems I was creating a 2.02 gig swap partition which I didn't think was a prob but just in case I repartitioned and formatted to a 2 gig (2048MB) partition and gparted recognized after the refresh a 2 gig linux swap and I was able to use the swap file now.. puppy 2 gig swap limit? either way it works now, now onto my next question is there a way to bridge my two nics like in winxp? one is connected to my router which is far and the other to my xbox 360, so this would be a great solution to running another long ethernet cable.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#76 Post by Lobster »

Saturday the floor above mine was burning, so my sleep was interrupted by the fire-brigade.
Hope you are OK? Was anybody hurt?
What about your flat?

Will this effect Muppy?
(I should have asked that first :oops: )

The last fire we had (the Out house was in flames)
. . .
The cat was running up and down the stairs along with people trying to get out / phone the fire brigade and fetch water in a state of complete confusion.

the fire brigade was called (the phone was put down in confusion but they traced the call) by the time they arrived (about 7-10 minutes) I had put it out.
Lucky we had a smoke detector which alerted me.
We now have two extinguishers and a fire blanket (I had to use a jacket to beat it out)

I liked that jacket.

Cause: 'dead cinders' wrapped carefully in newspaper and thrown out.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

papos

#77 Post by papos »

J'ai construi pour ma création multimédia un dérivé de muppy08.2, puppy3.01 avec muppybuild008.2 qui est un tès bon programme.
c'est une version en francais que j'ameliore depuis noel
pour l'instant je n'arrive pas a uploader sur filefront une version en francais iso de testW que j'appelle
Videopup car elle est orientee vers la creation multimedia
par contre j'ai pu telecharger le fichier addons_OO_082.sfs 236mo qui contient exe-1.03, celtx, skype_static-2.0.0.43, openofficefr-2.31, java, sylpheed-claws-3.3.1 avec correcteur fr

http://files.filefront.com/addons+OO+08 ... einfo.html
addons_OO_082.sfs 236 mo

J'ai finalement réussi a télécharger l'iso avec seamonkey
Videopup-0082-FRiso 235 mo
http://files.filefront.com/Videopup+008 ... einfo.html

qdvdauthor-1.0.104; avidemux-2.4; Kino-1.2; rezound; pbackup; pburn-1.0
etc
pour la tester je pense qu'il faut au moins 500 megas de ram,
copier msy_082.sfs et addons_OO_082.sfs à la racine du DD puis sauver et rebooter pour avoir Ooffice etc
papos

MU

#78 Post by MU »

Lobster,
no nothing serious happened, they could controll the fire before other appartments were affected.

I just was interrupted early in sleep.
As I slept not good last week, this really slowed down development.

Now I am in northern germany.
I do checks concerning the save-files,and fix some final issues.
For example my MIME-ditor for the PCMan Filemanager still had some glitches.
It did not list MIMEtypes, that were not associated to a program.
And you could not create new ones.
This is fixed now.
The whole MIME-stuff is rather complex, and though my solution is not perfect yet, it should be ok for a release.

Somewhen next week we'll upload 008.3 in several flavours (Embryo, Server, Mini, Standard).

Mark

MU

#79 Post by MU »

papos, je suis tres heureux, que muppybuild te pouvait aider :)

Do you have the md5sum for your files, please?
I then could mirror them.

To get it, type:
md5sum addons_OO_082.sfs
md5sum Videopup-008.2-FR.iso

I also would suggest to announce it in the french forum, it might easily been overseen here inside this long Muppy-thread.

cordialement, Mark

accessdenied

#80 Post by accessdenied »

MU,
What the differences between Embryo, Server, Mini & Standard version?
Thanks.