Soundcard that does not work

#1 Post by pch.shot »

Realtek ALC883, 6-CH High-Definition Audio CODEC
Any suggestions!! lol, pch

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

pch.shot

#3 Post by pch.shot »

Thanks for the post. When the need arises, I'll give it a try. There is always somebody that knows how to do it. That's the true miracle of Linux. pch

Aitch

#4 Post by Aitch »

@pch.shot
When the need arises, I'll give it a try
You sound as laid back as your avatar

try putting the spliff down LOL

I thought you had no sounds, - would drive me mad

anyhow, I offered, but it's your choice

Aitch

pch.shot

#5 Post by pch.shot »

I have to be in the right mood to tackle hardware issues. I usually take one day a week for that. Usually Saturday!! I have 3 computers and half of a fourth one and have torn them all apart numerous times. Last week I tore apart my p4 to see why the lan stopped working, only to discover the onboard was fried. So I had to rip open the other two boxes and switch ethernet cards only to discover that an old card I put in was not recognized by the OS I had installed. That's why I may sound casual about things. I really have to be in a positive space.When it becomes too much like work, I just give up temporarily. "When at first you don't succeed, Give up and move on" mentality. Then I get my second wind and tackle it with my sleeves rolled up high till I get satisfaction. pch

Aitch

#6 Post by Aitch »

Just found from the mastercrafty himself

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22383

Should definitely solve your sound probs for you,

Oh, and here's a round tuit for you, so no excuses :lol:

['when I get aroundtuit', yes?]

Aitch
Attachments
Tuit.JPG
(8.29 KiB) Downloaded 902 times

pch.shot

#7 Post by pch.shot »

Now that's more like it. That first post will probably not work. This post on the other hand is much easier. I will give it a shot tomorrow(it's Saturday you know!!) I'll let you know if it works. p.s.Thanx

pch.shot

#8 Post by pch.shot »

Well, that didn't work. There must be some important step missing. The only way I know to get a soundcard working is using modprobe. i.e. From a terminal type modprobe snd-sound card # and then add snd-sound card # to your /etc/modules file so that it loads when you boot up. Then use alsaconf to set it up. I'm not going to build a driver(or compile one from source). The way I look at it these days, if a distro does not recognize all my hardware(or with a little work) I'll use another distro. That has been the issue with Vista. You need new hardware to run it!! I am reformatting that hard drive I saved the puppy to back to ntfs as we speak. Very few distros recognize that particular soundcard(it's on board and fairly modern). The newer kernels have better luck. Distros can't include every driver ever invented(There are thousands). Thanks for the posts, anyway. pch