Dingo alpha7 feedback/bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
raffy

configure option for Ayttm for Yahoo Webcam support

#101 Post by raffy »

Barry:
..configure option for Ayttm for Yahoo Webcam support, but it needs a package named 'jasper'. Would this feature be useful to you?
Yes, very much.

GrumpyWolfe

Puppy 4-7

#102 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

Hi all

I have tried to write a small program to handle some of the xset settings. I have not tried to write anything in about 10 years, have only edit some php. I did not write this from scratch but have got some of the xset setting as easy as point and click. I plan on getting more working as soon as I learn some things that I know but have forgot, also if somebody know how to execute a program from inside puppybasic let me know. This is based on gtk and puppybasic. It need very little to run, just put it in your my-application folder and change the setting to execute, then in a term window or gexec command line type Pxset.wxbs and it should run.

Please any feedback would be nice.
Attachments
Pxset01.tar.gz
Puppy Pxset
(447 Bytes) Downloaded 872 times
Live and Let Live

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/mywolfe/]MyWolfe at Sourceforge[/url]
[url=http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/]MyWolfe Blog[/url]
[url=http://groups.google.com/group/mywolfe-linux]MyWolfe Groups[/url]

rerwin

Modem selection control for the beta

#103 Post by rerwin »

Attached is my completed modem-control fix as described in my previous posts here. This version replaces the others and adds the capability to logically disable ("ignore") particular modems if multiple modems exist in or are attached to a PC. I have included difference files for each updated file.

The "ignore" statements reside in /etc/modemoverrides, which is built as modems are encountered. To activate an "ignore", uncomment it, by removing its initial # character. The file is to be edited manually, at least until it can be managed by pupdial.

In addition, there is new support for two Thinkpad modems not previously recognized by Puppy. A line for each was added to MODULECONFIG, containing the module name, vendor ID, device ID, and description. I used the old modem wizard to try various drivers and find the tty-type. I used the WinXP device manager to find the vendor and device IDs in the driver details tab. Anyone with an unrecognized laptop modem might try that technique and report any new modems to add to MODULECONFIG, by providing that information and the Device Manager's description.

Some details:
1. All of the files in /etc/init.d of the attachment go to their corresponding zdrv directory. Please note that two of the service scripts are renamed to use an upper case initial letter: Cdcacm and Pl2303. This is to make them run before the scripts for PCI hardware, so if a USB modem is plugged in, it will be used instead of a PCI modem.

2. The firmware.dep.2.6.21.7 file goes to zdrv, or its three minor changes can made manually.
EDIT 3/27/08: The changes are:

Code: Select all

Upper-case C in line 37: cdcacm|/etc /etc/init.d /etc/init.d/Cdcacm
Upper-case P in line 50: pl2303|/etc /etc/init.d /etc/init.d/Pl2303
Remove "zz" early in line 56: slmodem-2.9.11-20070505|/etc /etc/init.d /etc/init.d/slmodem . . .
3. For testing purposes, the /etc/init.d files can go to the regular /etc/init.d directory.

This has all of the improvements I could think of, so hope this can go into the beta and final. Thanks for your help on this, Barry.

EDIT: Attachment now includes the difference listings.
Richard
Attachments
dialup_modem_control_update_ for_3.98.tar.gz
Modem support improvements and modem selection control.
Test by extracting /etc directory to /. Includes difference listings.
(38.54 KiB) Downloaded 897 times
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 27 Mar 2008, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

wingruntled

#104 Post by wingruntled »

Mr. Barry
Not only are ALL ports open on your home (personal) system but you have left everybody running Puppy WIDE open.
Do I need to go underground to show you how bad you have screwed up?

Murga, I have your picture!
END OF STORY!!!!!! you will be added to a hosts file. Not just mine!

rerwin

Puppy fails to autoload drivers for PCMCIA/PCCards - SOLVED

#105 Post by rerwin »

I think this has been a problem for a long time, so I investigated the cause. The script, rc.modules, uses lspci to obtain the hardware IDs present, then loads the drivers for that hardware. However, lspci does not see the PCMCIA hardware until the cardbus/PCMCIA driver (e.g., yenta-socket) is loaded. So the cards are never detected during bootup.

I have not coded a solution, but post this now in case Barry prefers to implement the fix himself. I expect that the lspci must be done first to find any cardbus driver, then again once that driver is loaded.

I strongly hope that the fix can go into 4final, but preferably into the beta. It will improve puppy's reputation of reliability. I will work on a solution until I hear that it is no longer needed.

EDIT 3/26/08: I have coded the fix and have attached it. It includes my previous update to the same module (but does not require the rest of that fix be installed). To test it, extract rc.modules to /etc/rc.d, and reboot.
Richard
Attachments
pccard_autodetection_fix for 3.98.tar.gz
Restores long-lost auto-detection of PC cards. Extract rc.modules to /etc/rc.d/.
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 902 times
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 26 Mar 2008, 16:17, edited 2 times in total.

divisionmd

Connecting to wireless network using Dingo

#106 Post by divisionmd »

Hello,

Dont know if this bug is already reported in.

- Cant connect to a WPA 1 wireless network, using PSK passphrase.

This did not work in Alpha 1 or in Alpha 2.

- However using Puppy 2.17 it works like a clock and connects without anyproblem.

My access point is a Proxim Ap-2500M. Standard product when building large wireless networks (mesh).

Best regards,
Johan

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Adding syndaemon and synclient

#107 Post by Béèm »

Not directly a bug report but a request to add this support in order to better control the synaptics driver, f.e. to disable completely the touch pad.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

disciple

#108 Post by disciple »

EDIT - Ignore - that doesn't seem to be what fixed it after all...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

nic2109

Re: Connecting to wireless network using Dingo

#109 Post by nic2109 »

divisionmd wrote:Hello,

Dont know if this bug is already reported in.

- Cant connect to a WPA 1 wireless network, using PSK passphrase.

This did not work in Alpha 1 or in Alpha 2.

- However using Puppy 2.17 it works like a clock and connects without anyproblem.

My access point is a Proxim Ap-2500M. Standard product when building large wireless networks (mesh).

Best regards,
Johan
Yes this IS already known but it is hardware dependent, and is why Barry is abandonning the latest kernel which has "retired" certain Modules and replaced them. For example IPW3945 was replaced by IPL3945 which has WEP but not WPA encryption.

I don't know about your specific hardware (forum member Tempestuous will be able to help with that if you get really stuck), but you could try one of the "Retro kernel" versions of Dingo and see if that cures your problem.

I believe that the first Beta is due over the weekend and will be on the retro kernel, so you could try that out when it is launched.

Good luck.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

disciple

#110 Post by disciple »

What level of hardware is Puppy compiled for now?
I copied my main (non-Dingo) setup onto an older PC with a 350Mhz Pentium 2 processor. This setup has the Dingo Mplayer and ffmpeg packages installed. Mplayer crashes with

Code: Select all

MPlayer interrupted by signal 4 in module: unknown
- MPlayer crashed by an 'Illegal Instruction'.
  It usually happens when you run it on a CPU different than the one it was
  compiled/optimized for.
  Verify this!
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
I hope xine/gxine in Dingo doesn't have the same problem!
Also, I could have sworn I saw a page on puppylinux.com where Barry explained how he compiled Mplayer with shared ffmpeg, but I can't for the life of me find it now. Maybe it was on the forum and was someone else, but all I can find now is one little part on the puppy-from-scratch page. Does anyone know where to find this information?... because I could never find it anywhere else. If I remember correctly, using shared ffmpeg isn't "supported" anymore, but it's worked perfectly for everything on my other machine for months now.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gerry

#111 Post by gerry »

A week ago (bit of a time lag here!) I used to Petget package manager to download and install the GIMP 2.4.0-rc3 package. It was supposed to be a 16MB download, but only 6MB downloaded. I let it install, but got a list of missing dependencies that went off the bottom of the screen- presumably the missing 10MB?

So I suppose Dingo is ok- the bug must be in the PET package? Or is it fixed already?

Gerry

Joshas

#112 Post by Joshas »

Not sure if this counts as a real bug, but I have problem with Xorg locking up on hardware probing, while running Puppy in QEMU. Xvesa works correctly. Any way to debug it? Tried using loglevel=7, but as far as I see it worked only until video selection.

paulh177

#113 Post by paulh177 »

Full HD install. en_GB, UK keyboard configured.

Keyboard oddity:
keys do not "repeat" & I have to press a key repeatedly to get repeated characters.

Esoteric keyboard oddity:
When running x11vnc from an Acer 5610 laptop to the HD dingo, the keymapping is incorrect as I cannot obtain a "pipe" sign or a "Pound sterling" sign (latter produces just "3" , former produces backslash -- i.e. they aren't "shifted") ; Key repeats however work fine.

capoverde

Double file entries.

#114 Post by capoverde »

With alpha7, when saving or loading a file from an application, sometimes all file entries appear twice in the file selector window. This gets back to normal by going to the "parent" directory then re-entering the "child".

Found no other report of this, and it seems odd. Is it happening only to me?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#115 Post by BarryK »

disciple wrote:Also, I could have sworn I saw a page on puppylinux.com where Barry explained how he compiled Mplayer with shared ffmpeg, but I can't for the life of me find it now. Maybe it was on the forum and was someone else, but all I can find now is one little part on the puppy-from-scratch page. Does anyone know where to find this information?... because I could never find it anywhere else. If I remember correctly, using shared ffmpeg isn't "supported" anymore, but it's worked perfectly for everything on my other machine for months now.
Yes, I remember posting it somewhere. It isn't in my blog, so it must have been the forum.
I got it to compile in the T2 project, and if you download the package that I placed on ibiblio ...somewhere... its about 600MB I think, open that up and look in the there you will find the information, but it does need a bit of familiarity with T2 to be able to extract the info you need.

Hmm, I should be a bit more helpful than that. I have looked in the T2, got out the relevant file, mplayer.conf. Some of the relevant stuff in it:

# BK...
var_append confopt " " " --enable-menu \
--with-extraincdir=/usr/include/libpng \
--enable-fbdev --enable-largefiles"

# TODO: used system avformat and postprocess ... BK...
pkginstalled ffmpeg && var_append confopt " " "--disable-libavcodec_a --disable-libavformat_a --disable-libavutil_a --disable-libpostproc_a"
pkginstalled xmms && var_append confopt " " "--enable-xmms"
pkginstalled xmms && var_append confopt " " "--with-xmmslibdir=`pkgprefix libdir xmms`"
pkginstalled directfb && var_append confopt " " "--enable-directfb"
var_append confopt " " "--enable-tv-v4l1 --enable-tv-v4l2"

If I recall right, those options in bold are the key. They disable mplayer's inbuilt libs and cause to use the system ffmpeg libs, which must already be installed.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

GrumpyWolfe

Pxset

#116 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

Hi to all

I have been trying to make a replacement for gxset. This time I may have made enough headway for it to be at least a working start. There is one problem, with gxset still installed it will reset the xsetting on each reboot. But I have been able to reset most of the setting untill I reboot. I had it to where it would reopen the main window but the same line of code all at once stopped working. I will try and find out why.

Berry I hope this will work as a replacement for gxset and mite make it into puppylinux.

So please someone give it a try and give me some feed back.
Attachments
Pxset02.tar.gz
Pxset replacement
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 616 times
Live and Let Live

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/mywolfe/]MyWolfe at Sourceforge[/url]
[url=http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/]MyWolfe Blog[/url]
[url=http://groups.google.com/group/mywolfe-linux]MyWolfe Groups[/url]

Greatnessguru

#117 Post by Greatnessguru »

Thanks, Barry...

I'm using Puppy 3.96, but plan to burn 4.00.BETA.

I just did both Full and Frugal installs on a
1997 Gateway 2000, Pentium MMX 200 MHz, 64 MB, 2 GB.
(The local 12 MAR 2008 ad said: FREE GATEWAY COMPUTER
with monitor and keyboard. As is.)
I'm using the Full installation ATM to compose this.

1. Please: Could NEWGRUBTEXT be put in the
Frugal install directory?

2. When unused, but running, Puppy seems to be accessing the HD
every few seconds. This is very bad for HD longevity.

Could the HD be left alone, not accessed,
and Powered Down, please,
when Puppy is unused, but running,
for minutes/hours/days at a time?

The screen blanks after the 12 minutes I selected in the BIOS Setup,
but the HD stays active.

3. Very much need a way to access WebDAV directories/"Folders".
I do not know what options you have, but providing an
Official PET of "cadaver" might help for now:
http://webdav.org/cadaver/

Thank you, and the all volunteer crew, very much,
Eddie Maddox

BarryK
Puppy Master

#118 Post by BarryK »

wingruntled wrote:Mr. Barry
Not only are ALL ports open on your home (personal) system but you have left everybody running Puppy WIDE open.
I missed this post earlier, prehistoric has communicated with wingruntled and it seems that that issue is I was running the Ayttm IRC client without a firewall. My apologies, it wasn't for very long. In future I'll be extra careful to put up the firewall first before going online.
I'm always building new Puppy systems, so it's an extra step I'll have to discipline myself to do.
To others reading this, having visible ports does not mean that I can be compromised. But it is better to be hidden.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Greatnessguru

mount: unknown filesystem type 'davfs'

#119 Post by Greatnessguru »

Using Puppy 3.96:

# cd /
# cd mnt
# mkdir dav0
# mount -t davfs "http://..." dav0
mount: unknown filesystem type 'davfs'

Barry, I need webDAV access. So, can this be fixed, please?

An official PET of "cadaver", as mentioned before, would also be nice, for flexibility, but, fixing "mount -t davfs" is a "must". Ok?

Thanks very much,
Eddie Maddox

disciple

#120 Post by disciple »

Thanks for that mplayer information Barry.

Does anybody know if there is a good reason for the userChrome.css hack that prevents the Seamonkey gui from obeying GTK font settings? Because if I remove it, then Seamonkey still appears to work fine, and it actually matches everything else (except JWM - I changed the font preferences in every config file I could find, and it still doesn't work:cry: :roll: )

Now if only I could fix a couple of the other annoying things about seamonkey...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER